Another Humpy Report

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Anil, Aug 2, 2005.

1. Anil Active Member

Tacoma, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +205 / 6
    Here is another report (taken from our website) on the Humpy fishing near our shop.
    RECORDED: 70 ° FISHING: Excellent
    Puget Sound Fly Company is proud to offer current fishing reports for the exciting saltwater opportunities available in the South Puget Sound. These reports come from staff fishing trips, customers and friends. Please call us at (253) 839-4119 if you are new to the area or estuary fishing in general.

FISHING: I’ve fished the beaches 4 days in a row now. The Humpies are in and have been very co-operative. I can’t tell you what rock to stand on (as the saying goes), but I will provide a few tips for those of you new to beach fishing or new to fishing for Salmon. Here are my 5 tips for catching Salmon from our local beaches:

PREPARE AND CHOOSE THE PROPER EQUIPMENT: My favorite set-up is as follows: 9’-10’ fast action 6 weight, large arbor reel, and Outbound line or clear intermediate. A good stripping basket is invaluable and can add 20’ compared to a cast without one. You can fudge with a few things, but if you decide that your 4 weight with floating line “will do”, don’t blame us if you don’t catch very many fish.

SHARPEN HOOKS AND TIE GOOD KNOTS: On most days, you will only get a few takes. Make them count! This also means stretching your line before you fish. You don’t want to be untangling your line as a school of fish is swimming by.

PRACTICE YOUR CAST BEFORE YOU HIT THE BEACH: If you are not an accomplished caster, it will show on the beach. Take lessons, learn to double haul and then hit the beach. This type of fishing is great casting practice, but you have to have some fundamentals first.

FISH WHEN YOU CAN, BUT CHOOSE YOUR TIME: We all wish we could fish whenever we felt like it. Real life means that we can’t fish everyday. The fish aren’t always readily available. Tide and light level are the two most important factors for beach fishermen. Low light is good and tide will depend on the beach you are fishing. Any generality about which tides are best would be worthless. Each beach fishes differently on different tides for different fish, with differing amounts of light. So once again, fish when you can, but try to stack the odds in your favor.

STAY ALERT: Fish will often show themselves. Sometimes it is as obvious as jumping fish, at other times it will be ‘nervous water’ or scattering baitfish. One other indicator is to observe other fishermen. If the next guy down the beach hooks a fish at 60’ make sure you continue to cover the water in front of you beyond 60’. Salmon typically travel parallel to the beach, you will be next in line if you can continue to present your fly.

FLIES: Pink Clouser Minnow, ‘Bozo’ Shock and Awe, and Pink Candies

Good Luck!
    Anil,
    www.pugetsoundflyco.com
  2. Big R El pescador desesperado

Bellingham ,WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    What about leader/tippets for Pinks?
    legnth?
    # test?
  3. Anil Active Member

Tacoma, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +205 / 6
    I can only speak for myself and the other guys I fish with.
    With a clear Outbound line, I’ve been using short (5’-6’) leaders tapered down to 0X or 1X Flourocarbon. You can certainly use a lighter longer leader, but on a clear line it doesn’t seem to be necessary. I like having the ability to land the fish fairly quickly.
    Anil
    www.pugetsoundflyco.com