Another Narrows Report From Yesterday

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Tony, Sep 17, 2005.

1. Tony Tony

Lynnwood Wa
    Ratings: +49 / 0
    Fished the end of the flood and into the ebb without much going on in the beginning, no fish jumping or rolling, a few seals cruising around but that was it. After a couple of hours of this I was starting to wonder if it was going to be a bust and after another hour I was sure it was, but then not long after the sun left the water things started looking much better, a couple of guys casting buzzbombs from a boat started getting into fish and not long after that fish started showing. I was casting a pink clouser and other than one 15" resident was getting much of a response so I put on a chartruese clouser and right after I did a bunch of fish started jumping around right in front of where I was fishing third cast and I felt a really nice tug so I tugged back and off it went, a few runs broken up with some really nice jumps later I released a healthy 4 to 5lb resident. I caught 3 more of of the smaller residents about 16 or 17" and then got another nice tug, this fish really didn't want anything to do with me, fought hard but I got it in and it turned out to be a hatchery fish, it was only about 18" but it must have been about a 6lb fish, it was fat, the front half of this was just huge and it was totally stuffed with bait, what a pig. I've caught bigger fish that weren't as big around as this one and didn't fight nearly as hard so I released it to hopefully get even bigger. It was getting dark so I decided I was pretty happy and could leave without thinking I was missing out on anything even though fish were still jumping around.
    tony
  2. Brian Scott Member

Ratings: +0 / 0
    Tony,

Nice work at the narrows. I wonder how the spits did on Sunday? I had no luck at Eglon after you left Saturday; the wind really picked up. I fished a different location on the island for a while Sunday morning with no results, although I did see some fish rolling. Keep up the good work!
    Brian, from Bainbridge
  3. Tony Tony

Lynnwood Wa
    Not sure about the salt on Sun. I went over to cady and did really good fishing dries, it was really great to get out and catch some trout after the summer layoff, its funny how you kinda forget just how fun trout are after you get going on the salmon thing.
    tony
  4. wet line New Member

Burien, WA, King.
    It sounds as if you were getting into some blackmouth based upon your size descriptions. At this time of year those are pretty normal sizes for the immature Kings. They have to be 22"s if you keep them. Just a heads up. They can be very expensive fish if one is caught with one in possesion.

Dave
  5. hikepat Patrick

Des Moines, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +12 / 0
    No love last Saturday evening out from the beaches around Gig Harbor. Amie did get one baby Blackmouth giving her her first Salmon, off from a beach area on Vashon Saturday. I finally picked up one baby Blackmouth myself well off shore around Redondo while bucktailing a fly and listening to the game on Sunday. Nothing off of Brown point and nothing off of a point North of Des Moines. Neither of the Blackmouth were caught close to shore and both were up shallow in deep water. Neither put much bend in to our 8-wt's Saw lots of small bait around but not much in the way of Salmon. The bait I have seen over the past few weeks are much smaller then they were at this time last year. We had only two other hits all weekend. We tried out a lot of new areas since the fishing was so slow. Found one area that had lots of 8" Salmon or Sea Run Cutts {not sure which}
    jumping in very shallow water maybe a foot from the beach just outside a small creek, but no way to get my boat that shallow and a 8" fish on a 8WT is not alot of fun anyways.
    Only saw one fish boated by the gear crew this weekend and that was off of Gig Harbor on Saturday late evening. Listening to the gear fishermens reports there was not much happening in the area. Sounds like up North from Seattle they were taking a few here and there.
    Taking next weekend off from the salt since the Salmon do not seem to be around much yet anyways. Plan to hit some West side lake since i have places to be Saturday at 5PM any ways.
  6. Tony Tony

Lynnwood Wa
    I suppose they might have been blackmouth, I haven't been fishing the salt long enough to really be sure but the one thing I do know is that they were wild unclipped fish which I release anyway, except for the one clipped one and I released it just because.
    I went out there tonight and there were a bunch of fish moving around quite a few jumping and rolling silvers, I hooked into one really nice fish that could not be stopped, it ran me into my backing 4 times before finally breaking me off, I never even got a chance to see it, it was just gone the tippet looked to be abraded, tough break but man it sure was exciting was it lasted.
    tony
  7. wet line New Member

Burien, WA, King.
    Tony,
    Many of the juvenil Kings, blackmouth, are not fin clipped in the lower part of the Sound even though they are of either hatchery or net pen origion. For all practical purposes neither the Puyallup nor the Nisqually have significant runs of wild Kings. Check the mouth, if it is all black including the gum line it is blackmouth and the spotting all over the tail and below the lateral line are generally a give away.

The resident Silvers are generally the size you described in late spring and early summer. You may find some jack silvers in that size range at this time of year. Generally the jacks are mixed in with the schools of this years spawners. They are a mature fish but diminuitive in size and almost always a male.

Take the time to learn to identify the blackmouth and silvers. If it has white gum line it is a silver. The Humpies and Chums have their own very unique characteristics that should also be learned.

A missed ID on a blackmouth can really be painful to the wallet. Also note that the regs specify to the tip of the nose for measuring purposes. Sometimes blackmouth have a lower jaw that will extend past the nose. This quirk in the regs. cost me dearly when it was pointed out by an enforcement officer and cost me plenty.

Dave
  8. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,618 / 0
    After reading about the legnth of fish I did a regs check. It tells you how the measure a fish but it shows a sturgon. And we all know that it's mouth is under it's nose. I believe that it should show a salmonoid fish to get your full attention.

Jim
  9. Luke Filmer Member

They are definately silvers.
    I got into a bunch of them today at the Narrows, and hooked 6 fish one of which was a hatchery fish of 28" long, and a girth of 18". This thing was a fat toad, and also like Tony's fish it was mostly fat in the front half of the fish. Definately a hatchery silver hen.

The others were resident coho, and averaged about 18' to 22".
    I usually manage to get down there 3 or 4 times a week between projects, and cast a line.
    No particular tide has been better than the other.
    Even slack seems to produce strikes.
  10. Willie Bodger Still, nothing clever to say...

Lynnwood, WA
    As opposed to the Edmonds-Mukilteo area which appears to be producing nothing beyond salad these days...

wb
  11. fish farmer New Member

Gig Harbor, Wa
    Fish artist, what flies have you been using? I've been throwing chartrouse clousers and having tons of fish follow, but few hookups? Any suggestions.
  12. Luke Filmer Member

It's my own recipe clauser that I have been tying. It was inspired by Willie Bodger's avatar.

A really fast, long strip is the key for me. Big cutthroats will strike it as well.
    I assume it is the thrill of the chase :D
    Try to impart life to your fly rather than just a robotic systematic strip.

Hey Steve! You missed out man. I started a little later yesterday, and stuck around for the incoming, and it payed off. :cool:
    Call me...
  13. Tony Tony

Lynnwood Wa
    Dave,
    thanks for the tips but I would like to say one more time, because of the release wild coho rule I just release everything that isn't an obvious hatchery silver that way I don't run afowl of the wdfw, I've been working at learning the difference between the different species seeings that that kings over 22" are legal in area 13 but until I'm totally sure its just safer to enjoy c/r if the fish aren't clipped.
    tony
  14. wet line New Member

Burien, WA, King.
    Tony, you are a prudent man and my hat is off to you. I have the utmost respect for a person who displays your attitude.

Fishartist, I am curious how at this time of year you can distinquish between a resident vs migratory silver. Size in my opinion can not be a considertation in that the ocean fish can range anywhere from 16"s, jack silvers, to over 20lbs. By mid September the bulk of the resident fish have moved close to the areas where they were raised in net pens.

Dave
  15. Luke Filmer Member

Wet-line
    Definately a good plan to release anything that is not fin clipped.

I also enjoy a baked salmon filet fresh from the bay to the oven.
    Onions, garlic powder, butter, coarse black pepper, and a sprinkle of bacon bits!
    I was under the impression the debate was over whether or not they were blackmouth, or silvers?

The fish I have been catching down there on a consistent basis have been cohos. Although I have hooked an occasional blackmouth. The bulk of the action has been silvers.
    Who knows if they are resident, or wild in that size range unless the adipose is clipped as on hatchery fish.
    However, I have noticed that I can literally go the same spot on the beach each time, and depending on the tide, I can hook several silvers in the 14" to 24" range in the same (hole) throughout the year.
    This would lead me to believe that they are residents.
    No nearby net pens that I am aware of, or any significant streams.

It is my understanding ( and correct me if I am wrong)That the fall silver runs travel in schools of varying sizes, and rarely return to the same spot every day, unless it is an estuary, and they are staging.

Do resident coho spawn naturally, and evolve and thrive in reef/beach habitat situations in Puget Sound, or do I understand you to imply that they are raised in net pens?
    -Luke
  16. wet line New Member

Burien, WA, King.
    Luke your observation about year around silvers in one spot is quite interesting.

First off the resident silvers, like their counterparts, resident blackmouth, are held longer and released later than their migratory cousins. Most silvers are reared for a time in net pens as I understand things.

You may have found a spot that both the migratory silvers and the resident silvers use. The migratory fish will hold in the sound for awhile before taking their journey north. The resident silvers are released late winter and are about 12" long. By mid June these fish will be getting close to 3 pounds or so and then grow rapidly for the rest of the summer and then return to their net pen areas that fall.

All salmon spawn in fresh water.

It may be interesting to contact the area fish biologist and make some inquiries regarding what you have learned. Or you could get ahold of Smalma and run it past him. At the least you have found a sweet spot. I have always found the state bio guys to be extremely helpful and informative. And you never know, what you have found might be a piece of the puzzle for them too. If you do pursue it I would be interested in finding out what you learn. And ofcourse I expect the location of the exact rock you are standing on :rofl:

Dave