Another pink thread

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Evan Burck, Aug 16, 2007.

1. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    So are we at the peak of the pink runs? Or is it still early? I'm trying to get an idea of about how much longer I can target them out in the salt before having to move on to the rivers. This past week my car has been jacked, so i've been missing out on the week i was supposed to go out every day. Is there still going to be hope for me?

2. skyrise

skyrise Active Member

2 years ago we were still chasing them on the beaches. If memory serves (can be foggy) we fished the first week of September and there were quit a few pinks running past Whidbey then. Reports from freinds with boats is that things are spotty out in the salt. One day good and one bad. Even between one boat to another.

3. Jake Bannon

Jake Bannon nymphs for steelhead....

Media:
    I havnt even caught a one yet this year, then again I dont live in a good area for pinks.

4. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Media:
    I think the mid sound (tacoma area) is close to peaking I bet. The north is probably a week or 2 away. Soon the rivers will be clogged with them, then the carcasses will litter the banks and you have to squish through the rotting flesh if you want to target the silvers, cutties, and steelhead.

5. Ron Crawford

Ron Crawford ===

I have been fishing 4 days a week for the past three weeks (all mid sound near Tacoma). From my catch rates I think it peaked at the end of last week. This week has been much slower. I usually consider the north sound to begin a week after the peak of the mid sound run so I am going to give the mid sound another day or two to see if it picks up any, and then head north if it doesn't.

Lately I have been wondering (as I stare out across the water) if they are coming down the west side of the sound (along Vashon). With the ferries and all, it's a pain to get over there to fish and still make it back in time to work. But ..... I just wonder if I am missing all of the real action because I am standing on the wrong side.

6. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    the times i've been out, i've seen some pinks jumping... within casting distance even. but for some reason i'm never able to get them to take anything. kind've gets discouraging after a while

7. Matthew Gulbranson

Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

Media:
    Thanks for another post on the pinks. I haven't gotten out yet, since it can be a bit of a drive from Oly to Tacoma at times, and I am afraid I've missed the boat. I just hope they aren't done yet, and the day I can make it up there, is the day they decide to come through. I hope there is still hope for me!

8. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    for all the hype and forecasts of numbers... it seems the action is a bit slower then expected?

9. SeanM

SeanM member

Media:
    Just as an update I was on the water at Lincoln Park this morning. Score one for the flyfishers. 3 pinks on the fly rods 0 for the buzz bombers. the baitfish were seen jumping near the short - it seemed they were really keying in on smaller bait patterns.
    Time on the water 6 am to 7.30am.

10. addicted.angler

addicted.angler New Member

Home Page:
    I THINK IF WE GET SOME RAIN THE NEXT FEW DAYS, NORTH SOUND WILL START TO PICK UP. FISHING AT PICNIC POINT ON THE 15TH DIDN'T PRODUCE ANY FISH, BUT I HAD 3 FOLLOWERS TO A CLOUSER, WHICH WERE ONLY NOTICIBLE WHEN THE LEADER STARTED COMING ONTO THE EYE OF MY ROD, NO STIKES, AND 6 OR 7 JUMPERS OUT ABOUT 100YRDS FROM THE BEACH. ALSO SAW A BIG SEA LION JUST LOUNGING AROUND OUT THERE. HE WASN'T DIVING A WHOLE LOT WHICH MADE ME THINK NOT TO MANY FISH WERE OUT THERE.

11. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    there's a seal that's out there every time. only seen him get close (within a hundred yards) once.

12. addicted.angler

addicted.angler New Member

Home Page:
    IT MADE ME A LITTLE NERVOUS. I HAVE WATCHED THEM, FROM A BOAT, CHASE A SALMON AND THEN RIPPING IT TO SHREDS ONCE IT WAS IN HIS MOUTH. HE WOULD TAKE THE FISH AND SLAM IT ON THE SURFACE TO TEAR IT APART.

13. Ron Crawford

Ron Crawford ===

Just to keep this good thread alive, and picking up on a comment a few posts ago.

So.... It rained a bit this weekend. That's got to send a signal to a lot of pinks that we haven't seen yet. I'm thinking that it's time for the North sound to pick up. The mid sound has been hot and then cooled recently. So I am looking north of Seattle for my travels tomorrow.

Anybody else thinking north? Or am I jumping the gun?

14. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    well i'll say that this morning was definitely the slowest day i've had yet on the salt. perhaps when the rain is done things will pick up? i'll be out quite a bit this week to find out

15. mozart

mozart Chris

Went to the Whatcom Creek on Saturday to see the bums and baitchuckers fishing for Pinks. Was on Holly Street overlooking the water to see tons of schools of Pinks starting their way up. In the first school we saw there was one that looked like it had been fouled hook as a big chunk of it had been ripped out the left side. Sucks to see.

I think it's time for the Pinks in the Northern end here to pick up. Looks like I'm going to throw down more money for a bigger setup as I don't think my 5wt will cut it. And plus I wanna hit the Samish when the Kings run and show the baitchuckers what a fly-fisher can do :)

Edit: My post has nothing to do with the salt but it gives people an indication that the beaches should be picking up heavily up here.

16. Mr.E

Mr.E He called me an Elitist ?? LOL ..what a moron

I floated my toon down the big Nasty (Nisqually River) seen a few old boots a rolling in there and a few small jacks beached. So if the big push up the river is comming, them fishies will be running a gaunlet of (48) gill nets.

17. Copper Jon

Copper Jon What a Jim!

Media:
    I have a fairly stiff Redington 5 wt. that has been perfect for the pinks. It really lets them show their stuff. I even got to see my backing once. I've fished it in fairly crowded conditions without wrapping a fish around anyone's legs and have not felt that I've had to play any fish too long. It's been good fun with a 5 wt. so save your money while chasing those pinks in the salt.

18. mozart

mozart Chris

I have a Redington as well, RF2 series. Maybe i'll be fine then. But for sure when the Kings start running a 10wt would probably be more appropriate.