Another Pontoon transport Q...

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Baseball_Junkie, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Baseball_Junkie

Baseball_Junkie Fish Witcher

Fellow(past and present) Tooners,

I love fishing from my pontoon boat but am encountering a problem getting it from the parking lot to the launch. First, it the TU Colorado XT model. So I took it to Lenice the other day and found that I had to stop every couple hundred Yards(eventually feet) and set it down cuz the conical tip of the pontoons it "squirting" out of my hands, if that makes sense. There are what I took to be mooring line "D" rings but I am pretty sure lifting the boat by them alone, one over two or three fingers on each hand is unduely stressing those seams. Anyone dealt wsith this issue on similar style PB's?? Any suggestions?

Aaron

2. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Stand in front of your seat, turn around, pick it up. Place the front of the seat edge at your belt line and walk. Next option, get a wheel bracket, put it on the underside of the rear deck, step inside, grab your foot braces, lift the front and walk.

3. Bill Aubrey

Bill Aubrey Active Member

I had a friend of mine make me a transporter. It is a square tube fitted with and axle at each end and about 20" bicycle tires which go off and on easily and quickly. It even has a securing loop on it. You can load your toon in under a minute and walk along. It will carry more than one toon and a lot of extra stuff.

4. Denny

Denny Active Member

Media:
    Bill, have any pictures you can share of that? I think I have a mental sketch of it, but a picture is worth a thousand words . . .

Thanks!

5. Baseball_Junkie

Baseball_Junkie Fish Witcher

I agree. A pic would be groovy.

BJ

6. Bill Aubrey

I'll get a pic and post it.

7. Bill Aubrey

Ok, here are the picks of my "trailer". The bar is 1 1/2" aluminum. The wheels are secured to the bar by the wing nuts and bolts drilled thru the bar and the round aluminum rod. The rig is light, and if you are really slow, takes at least a minute or 2 to assemble or disassemble. The rod can be as long as necessary. Mine was made to fit a Scadden Challenger. Measure your boat from the outside of the tubes. It will carry a toon, kickboat, pram, canoe, etc, and you can stack others on, plus gear. The line (rope for you non-sailors) is for securing the boat to the rig.

8. themaninthemoon

themaninthemoon Just waiting on warmer weather, .......

Neat! I gotta give ya 2 thumbs up on this approach.
    So ok, how much $ did this set you back to make?

9. Plecoptera

Plecoptera Active Member

Bill, I like the design. My homemade wheel setup failed big time on me this weekend, so I would like to come up with something better. Your setup looks like it would work perfect for my boat. Where did you get the round part for the wheels? Is it custom drilled or were you able to find something that worked as is?

10. Bill Aubrey

Guys, I wish I could build something like this. A friend of mine, PJ Hicks, made it and several others like it. He is a retired marine machinist. His email address is hickspj467@comcast.net.