Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Another reason to not shop Cabelas

8K views 88 replies 56 participants last post by  Don Freeman 
#1 ·
I normally like to shop the small shops but I had this gift certificate that I needed to use and went to Cabelas at Tulalip. Trying to find something to spend the gift certificate on I came accross an encap of rod and reel combos all set up with everthing needed to hit the water, normally $169 but had a sale pice sign on the top of the endcap for $59. I know from the past that the quality of the Cabelas line isn't so good but for the right price, what the heck, might make a good gift for one of the kidsSo I grabbed a box and headed to the cash register. To my suprise it rang up at $169. After a long discussion at the register, ended up going back to the guys in the fly shop and found out that the folks that set up the endcap the previous night put the wrong sign on the endcap. Being that it was well into the afternoon I was suprised that they hadn't noticed this big mistake. The best that they could do for me is to take the sign down and not even an appoligy for the mistake.They made me feel like I was the idiot and it had a little of the feeling of the old bait and switch. Well I guess it was my mistake to believe in the encap sale sign and maybe a bigger mistake to walk into the place at all. Won't be making that mistake again!

#33 ·
I'm going to speak in defense of Cabela's, at least their products. I have 2 rods/reels and a pair of waders/boots from Cabelas. I don't like to blow a fortune on a new activity right up front, and Cabela's brand represents a good value/$ as mentioned above.

I agree their service/knowledge isn't very good, but prices for a starting fly fisherman are good. If I thought I had to spend much more than I did to start up, I probably wouldn't have bothered. I plan to use my Cabela's stuff until it doesn't work anymore, and then maybe I can afford something else.

#34 ·
Yes Sg it is a big deal to me, when they act like it's my mistake and not theirs and not even a "were sorry we made a mistake". Yes good custumer service is important to me. Especially when they do not have the cheapest prices, yes they are a big box store like Walmart and if their prices were similar then I would expect crappy service like Walmart. I am guessing that you work there and I am sorry I offended you!

#35 ·
I only buy online and only when I can't find a product locally. I've never had a problem ordering directly from the company. If anything, their service has always been excellent. It sounds like I should avoid the retail stores and I will.

Yes indeed, "bait and switch is illegal" in just about any State. If a product is marked as on sale it must be sold at that price. They can take the sign down but as long as it is up, they don't have a choice. If anyone runs into that situation anywhere, ask to speak to the store manager if the cashier says there's nothing they can do, they are wrong. Personally, I would have reported them to the Better Business Bureau. I've worked in the auto biz for 35 years and if an auto is offered for sale in a newspaper or any advertisement or has a sign on the window, it MUST be sold for that amount.

Same goes for any retail business and any product. As I know how this stuff comes down, If I were you, I'd call the store manager and complain. You should receive a refund for the difference.

#36 ·
Most places I have ever shopped that made that mistake, ALWAYS gave the item to me for the price marked and then changed the sign. I would have gotten the manager out ther lickity split and I would have gotten it for the marked price or they would have been tolded that they lost me as a customer and everybody I know in person or on the forums would stop shopping there.

#37 ·
My 2cents. A long while back, I ordered a Cabela's brand fly rod and reel as a backup. Quickly realized they were both complete crap, though they were not their bottom-of-the-line versions. The drag adjust on the reel was literally a screw with a loose piece of plastic rod under it that pushed on the spool. Unbelievably poor design and production specs. I understand the issue with service at a big box store. It's hard to find and keep knowledgeable employees. But the fact that they were willing to market such poor equipment means low standards at corporate HQ. I've never gone back.

#39 ·
I check the online bargin basement once a week. Every now and then a deal comes through that is to good to pass up. Personally I don't have anything bad to say about Cabelas but I choose my purchases wisely from cabelas. I've known a few people that ended up returning cabelas gear because it didn't hold up to consistent use. I will say my Cabelas three forks 3wt is awesome! Love that rod!

#42 ·
Not really trying to grind an axe with them, for years, especially 10-12 years ago I spent thousands of dollars ordering from them online. Some good and some bad, Their entry level rods and reels are not that great of quality. I was more ticked with the instore shopping experiance and the employees attitudes that I delt with that day. They acted like I was trying to pull a fast one on them even though they recognized the mistake. Not worth bashing and creating a battle, just expressing some disapointment for driving a long ways to experience the "store". I will stick to, like others, cruizing the bargin cave online if I am interested in doing any business with them.

#45 ·
I have realized that you all would bitch if you got a bad deal from Walmart. Not everyone got burned from Cabala's. I have bought a few things from them now and then. I don't go out of my way to shop at them. You have to look at what you buy and not go with the lowest price. Or you get what you paid for.

I might be a cheap bastard but before I buy I have to see what I'm buying in my hot little hands. Even if I buy from Allen Fly Fishing, I ask them to send it to me so I can decide if I really want the item. I have bought two reels and was presented with another reel. Which I use in the winter time. You can't say enough about their products.

#46 ·
Some of the angst towards Cabelas seems to be out of a loyality to local fly shops, and I agree; If I can buy it at my local fly shop I do. I prefer to spend my money in a local small business. The customer service beats anything you're going to find at any of the box stores. The prices are comparable and they're just a good bunch of guys. But they don't sale smokers, if they did I'd buy it from them.

I said this before, and it's true whether you love Cabelas, hate them or are neutral. Get their Credit Card, charge everything you buy, including the stuff you buy at your local fly shop, on that card. Then go back over there and get free shit with the points. Last time I went, I walked out of there with about $250 worth of stuff that didn't cost me a penny.

And it doesn't seem to bother the folks at my local fly shop one bit when I slap that Cabelas card down on the counter; actually it's kind of a running joke. (The Cabelas card and I will be by to see you guys soon, I'm going after my first bonefish in May)

#49 ·
Some of the angst towards Cabelas seems to be out of a loyality to local fly shops, and I agree; If I can buy it at my local fly shop I do. I prefer to spend my money in a local small business. The customer service beats anything you're going to find at any of the box stores. The prices are comparable and they're just a good bunch of guys. But they don't sale smokers, if they did I'd buy it from them.

I said this before, and it's true whether you love Cabelas, hate them or are neutral. Get their Credit Card, charge everything you buy, including the stuff you buy at your local fly shop, on that card. Then go back over there and get free shit with the points. Last time I went, I walked out of there with about $250 worth of stuff that didn't cost me a penny.

And it doesn't seem to bother the folks at my local fly shop one bit when I slap that Cabelas card down on the counter; actually it's kind of a running joke. (The Cabelas card and I will be by to see you guys soon, I'm going after my first bonefish in May)
Looking forward to helping you use that card again.

#51 ·
I've only bought a few items at Cabela's; Guidewear waders that have lasted several years and still no leaks, a reliable 3-4 weight RLS reel, and a couple of other doodads but I buy most stuff from fly shops. I wanted to replace an old pair of Weinbrenner Borger boots and saw on the Cabela's website that their re-branded Chota RockLoc boots were on sale for 40% off. I called the Lacey store and they had the sizes that might fit in stock. I grabbed my waders and went in to try them on. I found a pair that fit nicely but the tag on the shelf was the full retail. I told the sales clerk about the sale, he looked it up on the web from his store terminal, jotted down the web sale price on his business card, signed it and that was the price I paid at the register.

Sent from my Droid RAZR Maxx using Tapatalk 2

#52 ·
Maybe it didn't feel like it was worth the "fight," and you clearly were the considerate person in the situation, but IMHO you would have had every right to raise a stink, talk to a manager, and demand they give it to you for the "advertised" price. Their error should have been your gain. You're not responsible for their mistake. If anything, again IMHO, you did them a service worth the small profit margin loss on a one unit sale by pointing out their staff's error. They owe(d) you one.

#59 ·
Be careful not to carry a balance on that Cabelas credit card. They are charging over 15% interest now!
Its not that great a deal, as far as interest rate and rewards go. But they actually issued one to me! (gasp!) Yes I always try to pay my balnce off each month. I let a small balance ride for one month, once, and that seemed too expensive to let it happen again.
I've almost got enough points to order another UPF shirt, or maybe a UPF buff and/or sun gloves. Anything that will help me reduce my sunscreen use to a bare minimum, (npi).

#60 ·
Ive had great experinces with cabelas staff, they always seem really willing to help. But I do not expect them to a top rate fly shop, my one and only "fly fishing" purchase was a rod that I needed in a pinch, the rods done great and lasted a few years. I have spent a crap load of money buying guns, ammo, quad stuff, truck stuff, hunting stuff etc. and I feel they provide a great value on their product.

The biggest reason I love cabelas is they have a great selection of equiptment for us large human beings, try finding great outdoor gear at REI that runs a xxl.

#61 ·
...and for a people like me who don't know where this is? Would like to know. Town and street address would be sufficient to locate them.
You'll find the address in the post by 'hookedonthefly' above.
Thanks for the kind words from you guys.
As I mentioned in response to Jeff, while we happily accept ALL major credit cards, we take particular pleasure in running the Cabelas card.

#62 ·
Stopped by Anil's store for the first time a few weeks back. Great team in there, ended up spending far more time than expected bullshitting with them. Will definitely be back when I'm in town and recommended it to a few of my friends in Tacoma that didn't know it existed.

Reactions: Tony James
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.