Another reason to not shop Cabelas

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Topstoy, Feb 10, 2013.

1. hydrological beads are NOT flies and snagging is just ghetto

inland
    Ratings: +99 / 0
  2. Topstoy Member

Tonasket, WA
    Ratings: +20 / 0
    Not really trying to grind an axe with them, for years, especially 10-12 years ago I spent thousands of dollars ordering from them online. Some good and some bad, Their entry level rods and reels are not that great of quality. I was more ticked with the instore shopping experiance and the employees attitudes that I delt with that day. They acted like I was trying to pull a fast one on them even though they recognized the mistake. Not worth bashing and creating a battle, just expressing some disapointment for driving a long ways to experience the "store". I will stick to, like others, cruizing the bargin cave online if I am interested in doing any business with them.
  3. ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Eagle River, Alaska
    Ratings: +112 / 0
    anybody else just hate the gross sad looking pellethead rainbows that look like they are begging for a quick death?

Thats what really turned me off
  4. bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

m-ville
    Ratings: +675 / 0
    I wish everyone would stay away , theres enough traffic in marysville with out all the increase of camo clothed traffic that cabelas has brought to town.
  5. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,652 / 0
    I have realized that you all would bitch if you got a bad deal from Walmart. Not everyone got burned from Cabala's. I have bought a few things from them now and then. I don't go out of my way to shop at them. You have to look at what you buy and not go with the lowest price. Or you get what you paid for.

I might be a cheap bastard but before I buy I have to see what I'm buying in my hot little hands. Even if I buy from Allen Fly Fishing, I ask them to send it to me so I can decide if I really want the item. I have bought two reels and was presented with another reel. Which I use in the winter time. You can't say enough about their products.
  6. Jeff Sawyer Active Member

Tacoma WA
    Ratings: +234 / 0
    Some of the angst towards Cabelas seems to be out of a loyality to local fly shops, and I agree; If I can buy it at my local fly shop I do. I prefer to spend my money in a local small business. The customer service beats anything you're going to find at any of the box stores. The prices are comparable and they're just a good bunch of guys. But they don't sale smokers, if they did I'd buy it from them.

I said this before, and it's true whether you love Cabelas, hate them or are neutral. Get their Credit Card, charge everything you buy, including the stuff you buy at your local fly shop, on that card. Then go back over there and get free shit with the points. Last time I went, I walked out of there with about $250 worth of stuff that didn't cost me a penny.

And it doesn't seem to bother the folks at my local fly shop one bit when I slap that Cabelas card down on the counter; actually it's kind of a running joke. (The Cabelas card and I will be by to see you guys soon, I'm going after my first bonefish in May)
    Bill Aubrey and Anil like this.
  7. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +959 / 1
    You need to shop at Cabelas as if you don't they may have to close down.
    anti.team likes this.
  8. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,652 / 0
    My closest Cabela's is either in Billings or Post Falls. Or as close as my computer.
  9. Anil Active Member

Tacoma, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +205 / 6
    Looking forward to helping you use that card again.
  10. Patrick Gould Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +688 / 1
    I don't buy much from them, but the fly shop staff members at the Marysville store are friendly and knowledgeable. My experience at Lacey is the opposite.
  11. Brian Miller Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout

WA
    Ratings: +66 / 0
    I've only bought a few items at Cabela's; Guidewear waders that have lasted several years and still no leaks, a reliable 3-4 weight RLS reel, and a couple of other doodads but I buy most stuff from fly shops. I wanted to replace an old pair of Weinbrenner Borger boots and saw on the Cabela's website that their re-branded Chota RockLoc boots were on sale for 40% off. I called the Lacey store and they had the sizes that might fit in stock. I grabbed my waders and went in to try them on. I found a pair that fit nicely but the tag on the shelf was the full retail. I told the sales clerk about the sale, he looked it up on the web from his store terminal, jotted down the web sale price on his business card, signed it and that was the price I paid at the register.

Sent from my Droid RAZR Maxx using Tapatalk 2
  12. Flyfishing Dad displaced Alaskan

Chehalis, WA
    Ratings: +16 / 0
    Maybe it didn't feel like it was worth the "fight," and you clearly were the considerate person in the situation, but IMHO you would have had every right to raise a stink, talk to a manager, and demand they give it to you for the "advertised" price. Their error should have been your gain. You're not responsible for their mistake. If anything, again IMHO, you did them a service worth the small profit margin loss on a one unit sale by pointing out their staff's error. They owe(d) you one.
  13. Flyfishing Dad displaced Alaskan

Chehalis, WA
    ...and for a people like me who don't know where this is? Would like to know. Town and street address would be sufficient to locate them.
  14. cuponoodle breakfast gritty

Arlington
    Ratings: +303 / 0
    There's always google.
  15. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +658 / 5
    Yup, google works great.
  16. Porter Active Member

Kenmore, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +508 / 0
    Ohhhh....what was that I saw on here this site several times...where google shows then the typing of the search. I always that was funny.
  17. hookedonthefly Active Member

Ratings: +121 / 0
    Anil owns the joint. He's a super good dude and they know their stuff.

Puget Sound Fly Co.
    6001 Tacoma Mall Blvd
    Suite B2
    Tacoma, WA 98409
    (253) 472-2420

anil@pugetsoundflyco.com
  18. kjsteelhead Member

Bellingham, Washington
    Be careful not to carry a balance on that Cabelas credit card. They are charging over 15% interest now!
    Kent Lufkin likes this.
  19. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +540 / 0
    Its not that great a deal, as far as interest rate and rewards go. But they actually issued one to me! (gasp!) Yes I always try to pay my balnce off each month. I let a small balance ride for one month, once, and that seemed too expensive to let it happen again.
    I've almost got enough points to order another UPF shirt, or maybe a UPF buff and/or sun gloves. Anything that will help me reduce my sunscreen use to a bare minimum, (npi).
  20. jumbo215 Jasper hickman

lake forest park, wa
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    Ive had great experinces with cabelas staff, they always seem really willing to help. But I do not expect them to a top rate fly shop, my one and only "fly fishing" purchase was a rod that I needed in a pinch, the rods done great and lasted a few years. I have spent a crap load of money buying guns, ammo, quad stuff, truck stuff, hunting stuff etc. and I feel they provide a great value on their product.

The biggest reason I love cabelas is they have a great selection of equiptment for us large human beings, try finding great outdoor gear at REI that runs a xxl.
    Mark Kraniger likes this.