Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Another Shrimp

1K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  Dabhoy 
#1 ·

:beer1:

See less See more
#2 ·
Loopy, that shrimp is SICK, the detail is RIDICULOUSLY life like. Your flies are amazing and I'm going to plead that you will take the time to post the tying steps and materials for this. Tying it by sight would be fine, I'm figuring that some sort of quick cure epoxy is being used to form the back carapace. Thank you for sharing your pattern. I can see fishing this one quite a bit from the local beaches.

#6 ·
Loopy, do you use the same goo on your buzzers? Think about that step by step when you have time. Your fly tying fans are eager to see your steps!

#11 ·
Hi Mumbles

Yes, some do use this stuff on buzzers, it is available in a thinner mixture in addition to the stuff I have used on this shrimp pattern.

Sorry about the file size - me first SBS believe it or not.

#10 ·
OK goes something like this.......

Hyabusa Fly 387 Size 14

Thread - Shear14/0

A bit of partridge hackle tail and eye

Bit of copper wire and followed by a slim piece of plastic bag.

And then dubbing from Hares ear plus to the eye.

Fold the plastic dubbing over the hares ear and tie tightso that the plastic is sretched.

Then apply a smidgen of Bond Bug

And Zap with the UV Torch

Wind the copper ribbing as you wish and then apply another surface of Bond Bug

Apply a final coat of Bond Bug

and then you have something like this

Any questions please don't hesutate to ask - thank you for viewing in the meantime.

Bug Bond is available from Bearsden and I belive that there are other options available. I ain't selling it but if you have difficulties finding thestuff then let me know. Because the curing times are so short you can virtually stack your epoxy away!

#12 ·
All UV activated goo in thick and thin formula or do you thin it? I've only used one product, but I think I'm going to have to find more options. Thanks Loopy. That shrimp pattern looks good enough to toss in some garlic and oil to make some scampi!

#13 ·
Hi Mumbles

The company has just started to sell a thinner version - I suspect all that has been done is thin the original! But the stuff with it's amazing curing time of literally seconds is a boon to tyers that have a lot of flies to process like the 'pro's' or for people like me that like to muck around.

Cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.