Another skunking, plus a new one for me

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Rob Ast, Aug 26, 2009.

1. Rob Ast

Rob Ast Active Member

Media:
    Went out to PNP today for a few hours, and was skunked yet again. I can't buy a fish this year. I did see a large coast guard cutter, followed by equally large cutters from the Japanese and Russian coast guards. I also saw some guy in his 9' sportsman's warehouse toon trolling a giant chartreuse flasher through all of the boats and well out off shore - either crazy or ballsy, probably both.

2. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Did you see me flashing you the peace sign from way out in my toon? I was seeing if the flasher and squid crowd really had something on the fly flingers. Shipping lanes? Who cares about the shipping lanes?

3. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    Sorry there Rob. That was me pretty much last year. I'm thinking of heading up to the flats in the morning to see if I can drum up something that is silver in color. :)

4. Peter Pancho

Peter Pancho Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    saw the tooner the other day as well, that dude was crazy with the 100mph winds. he did it though, gutsy fella.

5. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    Well, I made it out this morning Rob. I was on the beach at 6:15. Do you know how hard it is for an old man to get up at 5 AM? I wandered down the beach, tried a few spots, moved on. I finally saw a small break behind my fly but nothing. About 15 minutes later I saw another small swirl and felt a soft hit, but no luck. Moved back down the beach and finally hooked a small wild coho of about 2 pounds and released it. The tide was coming in and I was near the tops of my waders in water I should not have been in. I almost trapped myself.
    It was a nice morning, but didn't hardly see other fish. However, NO SKUNK here! :)

6. Mike (Doc) LaCombe

Mike (Doc) LaCombe Member

Yesterday I managed to get a seat on a friends boat for another shot at the pinks. We left GH around 0900 and headed over to Vashon. We searched around and finding nothing we made the run over to Browns Point. There were still people casting from the beach as well as a few boats. We worked the beach for awhile and Dan managed to hook and land one fish. We continued to move up the beach and found another small pod where I was able to land another fish. That was it for the day. This is no where like the 10 + fish day I had a couple weeks ago.

So what have I learned? From the beach I have yet to hook a fish. On the other hand I have done much better from a boat. Why? This is my hypothis. Salmon are migratory and move a lot. As a fisherman I have to figure out a way and a place to ambush them as they move through. A beach fisherman is pretty limited. He/she has to set up on a likely spot and hope they show up. On the other hand the boater has the opportunity to move to several ambush spots in the search.

This of course seems obvious but nothing like experience drives the point home. So will you ever see me on the beach again. Oh yes, except for chum I have yet to take a salmon from the beach and I want to mark it off my bucket list. BTW I agree with Larry. It is harder and harder for this old man to crawl out of bed in the dark.

Mike

7. Ron Crawford

Ron Crawford ===

Interesting post about boat vs beach

My point of view is that I strongly prefer beach fishing. I really like the challenge of it.

There are lots of way to catch a fish, but there is nothing more satifying that catching a steelhead on a swung fly, the biggest part of the satisfaction for me comes from the fact that it is hard to do. Once you do it, it's a great feeling.

Tha same thing goes for catching an ocean going coho off a beach with a fly. It's really pretty hard to do. You have to go out there many times and get skunked more often than not (at least for me). But it's great when it actually happens.

Just my point of view ...