Another slow duck hunt

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by Jeff Hale, Dec 30, 2010.

1. Jeff Hale B.I.G.F.F.

Bainbridge Island, WA
    Ratings: +27 / 0
    Hit the eastside of the state Tuesday and Wednesday; three guys shot 9 ducks total. 4 mallards, 4 widgeon, and a ringneck. Lots and lots of geese flying but none would commit to shooting range. Overall, nothing to brag about. Not a lot of birds flying. Fun to hang out in the blind. I got to try "Fireball", which is a cinnamon flavored whiskey; it's pretty good. Anyone had it before? I will be getting some to go in the blind bag for the slow moments. It tastes great in coffee, too. Good luck to the rest of you for the remainder of the season. 1 month left. Hale
  2. Brazda Fly Fishing guide "The Bogy House" Lodge

Ellensburg, Washington
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Fireball is awesome, great to go with guns too :), shooting has just picked up I hunted Wed and we limited on Mallards, and no geese although they did fly by just did none of that involuntary crash landing...the last few weeks has been a diver show now this next couple weeks will be good for puddlers,,,it takes two days to get one good day thats it, we can't just go to our old reliables anymore need to scout then get psycho on the get there time in the AM. There are really a lot of waterfowl in the state just so much is tied up in private leased land where they grow phony crops and flood it when duck season hits. Big money has moved the waterfowl habits away from what it was prior to ten years ago.
  3. BDD Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +216 / 2
    Yeah, me and a buddy went Wednesday, east of Ellensburg. Driving in a huge snowstorm and high winds predicted we had high expectations. We got some shooting in and shot birds but we were hoping for better. Saw lots but couldn't get them to commit.

Still loads of fun. I agree with Braz on the leased farm land. Hard to compete with that.
  4. Upton O Blind hog fisherman

out of state now
    Ratings: +211 / 0
    Jeff, glad you had a good time, we've been having the same experience on the westside: very few birds and no shooting. The last time I hunted was over a week ago and four hunters in three blinds shot one pintail. It's gotten worse since that time.

On another note, I've got to be honest here and tell you that I'm really concerned about the booze and guns at the same time, they never mix well. Just do the coffee during the hunt and save the booze for after the hunt. Why take an added risk? Anyway, better luck on your hunts through the end of the month.
  5. Blake Harmon Active Member

Spokane, Washington
    Ratings: +138 / 0
    I agree with Upton, Im no grandpa myself, but there are a lot of people on the board who are young. and that's some seriously shitty example to set.
    not to mention its just not a good idea haha....

Anyways hope the hunts speed up a little bit for ya. i'm quite a bit farther east than Ellensburg, but the quackers have been fairly consistent in my parts.
    -Blake
  6. Gary Thompson dirty dog

East Wenatchee, WA
    Ratings: +131 / 0
    Not my place to tell ya what is the right thing to do with booze in the blind.
    Drinking booze in cold weather, drinking and firearms, drinking and driving ?????
    Drinking around the camp fire at the end of a great day !!!
    Hunt safe my friends.:thumb:
    I think the screwy weather has a lot to do with the slow hunting.
    True, lots of leased land with food plots can make a big difference if your hunting close to a few of those plots.
    Development of rural lands, another down fall to wild life.
    Changes in crops. This hits home for my favorite pheasant swamp.
    The corn was not planted this year and the pheasants and quail went some place else.
  7. wet line New Member

Burien, WA, King.
    I am not going to be polite! If you are hunting and drinking and I see you I WILL turn you in and hope you get your license jerked and they fine your ass off, confiscate your weapons and give you a DUI when you drive off!!

Booze, guns, and hunting don't mix!

Hangovers, guns and hunting don't mix!

Hunt hard and party hard but don't party when you hunt!

When you are done hunting and not hunting the next day party.

Several years ago I was taking out a neewbie hunter and we were working opposite sides of a creek. He dumped a mallard and I told him it was close to me and I would wade out and get it. I was just about ready to grab the bird when he shot it in the water! He came way too close to blowing my hand off and I did have to dig out some pellets. It turned out unbeknownsed to me that he had been sipping all morning. I went ballistic to say the least! If he would have taken off my hand it would have been bad news as we were a mile from the truck and from there a good hour from medical attention. He was just "happy" enough to cloud his thinking. I was just pissed enough to lead him on a 5 mile march through some really shitty country.

The moral of the story: one stupid move can kill or seriously injure someone. Be sober and be safe.
    Dave
  8. BDD Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +216 / 2
    I got invited to hunt a corn field out of eliminator blinds with lots of birds dumping in near Royal City. The "guide" showed up and we all got set. Birds were in the air coming in. Next popped out the beer cans. Two were drinking, two were not. I knew one drinker, didn't know the other. I was uneasy and rather uncomfortable the whole time and never really enjoyed the hunt even though I shot some birds. Needeless to say, I was glad to get out of there...one more reason I only like hunting with a select few friends I've known for a long time. I will fish with most anybody but when you get firearms involved, I get a whole lot more selective with who I recreate with.
  9. Leroy Laviolet Aint no nookie like chinookie

do'n it 4 the chinookie
    I Could'nt agree more :ray1::ray1::ray1: Lots of time for beverages AFTER the guns are unloaded for the day-
  10. Jeff Hale B.I.G.F.F.

Bainbridge Island, WA
    Ratings: +27 / 0
    Thanks for all the input regarding the use of alcohol and firearms together. After reflecting on your comments I have re-evaluated my stand on fireball in the duck blind and will still buy some, but will leave it at home. I only had a "sip" in my coffee, but any alcohol is illegal when operating a firearm. Thaks to Karl, Gary, Leroy, and BDD for your tactful use of words and thought to help another hunter become more safe. Good luck.
    Jeff
  11. Upton O Blind hog fisherman

out of state now
    Ratings: +211 / 0
    That was an impressive response. You set the bar very, very high not for yourself but for me to have the honesty to accept feedback, too, sir. Well done.
  12. Gary Thompson dirty dog

East Wenatchee, WA
    Ratings: +131 / 0
  13. wet line New Member

Burien, WA, King.
    Jeff,

Thank-you for thinking about the issues of drinking and hunting and coming up with the correct and safe outlook!

Without knowing the future you may have very well saved someone a serious or fatal injury. And by hunting with like minded people you may very well have saved yourself from some unsavory event.

I NEVER drink on a hunting trip. A hangover is just as bad as drinking in the field. I want to be totally alert and my ever diminishing reflexes working as well as possible. I spend a lot of time, money and effort to find birds and hunt them. So why would I want to reduce my shooting abilities because I voluntarily polluted my system with booze that slows my reaction time down and clouds my judgement? It is challenge enough to walk a mile or so in the dark to a favorite pond without being a stumbling hungover drunk.

Matt Dryke, has the sporting clays range near Sequim and a world class shooter and Olympic gold medalist, once told me the difference between an elite shooter and a good shooter is about 1/100th of a second in reflexes. A lag of 1/10th of a second places a person in the pretty good but nothing special and 1/4 of a second makes you mediocre at best!

As a side note a day of tutoring at his sporting clays range is one of the best thing you can do to improve your game. It is a hoot to say the least and well worth every dollar spent. I felt I was an above average shooter but decided to drop some dollars with a friend that really needed some help. If I recall correctly he wanted us to bring a case of shells each so I brought 2. At the end of the day, I don't know if this normal or not, we took a rest and then shot a couple of rounds of trap. Before going up there I was pretty much a high 80's shooter, a handicap of 88. I busted a straight 50 and after that my range average jumped upto the mid 90's, a handicap of 96. An 8 bird gain is huge at that level. That year I qualified for the state handicap shoot and finished well. I finished up with a 98% and ended up in the final round which I kind of blew it big time! Mentally I was way over my head! Lets just say that my final round dropped my overall average by a very significant amount.

My long winded point is quite simple. Spend some dollars on a good coach and time on a range to increase your odds. Explore and walk and find those places people won't commit the effort to hunt. That has always been the equation and it will always be that way. A lot of hunters will walk a 1/4 mile, some will walk 3/8th of a mile, a few may go 1/2 a mile and from there it goes down hill in a rush! Most of the places I hunt for waterfowl require a minimum of 1/2 mile and most require at least a mile of hiking and lugging some dekes through the dark. Believe me anything past 3/4 of a mile gets rid of a lot of people and when you get past a mile it will be all yours!

This is pretty long winded and maybe there are some things that you will find benefitial.

Dave