Another Spey vs. Single hand rod thread...

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Peter Pancho, Jul 26, 2003.

1. troutman101

troutman101 Member

Media:
    Spey flyfishing has caught on very strong in the past few years. What I am curious about is how many folks on this forum have fished a real two-handed setup for steelhead longer than 10 years?

Even folks like Syd didn't fish a two handed rod all of the time. Now purists are jumping out of the woodwork claiming to fish for little trout and summer runs with a spey rod. Were talking 6" to 8 pounds of range here! I know there are times when a two handed rod is better for fishing deep holes where the big boys are but when a hatch is on, the technique is useless.

To be honest about this whole entire spey thing, I think the flies are more practical than the fishing techniques. You certainly won't catch more fish regardless of how much MORE water you can cover if you don't know where to find em or what they will respond to. A well tied spey, dee, bucktail or grub can make or break your day though.

What is even more bewildering is that there are now classes dedicated to this form. Simon and Jim Vincent makes a killing off of these classes!!!

Economically, Spey rods are a bad omen. It causes people to spend more money on gear and less on gas and beer. Gotta have the Sage 14' 9 weight for $495 and the RIO Simon signature addition line with 6 tips for $120. Gotta have the Bauer MX4 with a spare spool for $545 + $245. Don't foget the Alec Jackson signature steelhead irons and the $400 blue eared pheasant skin and the $5 per matched pair of bronze mallard. Don't leave home without the $4 3' steelhead tapered leader!

I see marketing pays off.

2. BOBLAWLESS

BOBLAWLESS New Member

Are you suggesting a fad here?
    Bob, the wary.:dunno :dunno :dunno

3. DEREK

DEREK New Member

Media:
    If troutman isn't suggesting a fad, I certainly would. Sooner or later things will calm down.

The idea that a spey rod will help me catch more fish seems like a silly notion to me. If I was concerned with my catch rates (which I probably should be) I'd sooner use a spinning rod than a spey. Just sounds like more fun to me. I have cast them, and found that I can cast a pretty good line out. They are fun to cast, but the positives don't cancel out the ridiculousness I feel wielding a 15' long rod for a comparatively small fish. And to think some people use these for trout???? Any time I could use a fly rod as a wading staff, I’d rather use gear. Just my personal opinion.

A little off topic, but I think spey fly's are a bit of a fad as well. It drives me nuts to see just about any steelhead fly with hackles be called a spey. Reminds me of my favorite B. Lawless piece about the spey this and spey that.

4. sinktip

sinktip Guest

I will have to agree with Derek on the fad thing. I am a hard core double handed fisher but I do think they are a fad for a lot of people. As for using them for trout, depending on the situation, they might really shine but they will never replace the single handed rod.

Circlespey hit a number of points in his excellent post above. For what they are intended for, they are hard to beat but they will not make you a better fisher or in most cases, allow you to catch more fish.

There are those cases though where a spey rod really outshines a single handed rod. For winter fishing this mainly means those tight backed runs where lack of backcast room prohibits effective use of a single handed rod. Yes if you are good you can do a modified roll cast but this becomes a royal pain in the backside when you are trying to get 60' of line, heavy sinktip, leader and large bushy fly out and mended. And then there is just the fact that 8 hours with throwing a tip with a single hander is hard on your body. 8 hours throwing a properly set up spey rod system, is a pleasure.

For summer run fish on large rivers, they can make or break a day. I am not talking Skykomish sized rivers but rather monster rivers like the Snake and Thompson (although the Bulkley might fit in their on certain hard hit stretches). These rivers of course have fish that can be picked up within 60' of shore, especially at dawn, but they also have fish that hold in rock gardens and on the edge of current seams that are 100-120' out. For this reason, I never mind following a single hander through runs on the Snake as I know I can fish over fish that have yet to see a fly. Of course, if you can't cast well at distance, all a spey rod will do is end up thrashing the water to bits so you would be better off without trying.

Please don't get me wrong about needing to cast far. Probably 80% of fish are picked up within 60' of shore but on those occasions like I mentioned above, it is very nice to be able to fish for the other 20%.

Bob Lawless -- When are you headed up to the Bulkley/Morice? I will be up there for 9 days the end of September. Water conditions allowing, and that is always a big if, we will be spending most of our time on the Skeena proper and Kispiox but are planning on at least a couple days above and below the Telkwa on the B. FYI - I just heard today that the test fishery in the lower Skeena was less than stellar and they are predicting sub-normal returns :( I sure hope they are wrong.

5. BOBLAWLESS

BOBLAWLESS New Member

HEY SINKTIP!
    We'll have to get together up there an compare notes. Maybe one or the other of us will have them dialed in. I have also heard bad rumors about the poor run. But what else is new these days? You just have to bite back the tears and enjoy casting.
    Speaking of which, I can think of another reason for my getting a spey rod. My partner and I (a guy from Minnesota I met on this forum, if you can believe it) are going to drift the Bulkley in my 12' boat. The water is a piece of cake, but both of us will be flaying away at the same time.
    Unfortunately, he is right handed as I am. Now there will be times, no matter what we do, that a fly is going to zing through the middle of my boat. I don't like to think of this, but I know it's coming
    With a spey, I could give him the transom and roll cast with the spey up in the bow.. Might this work? Maybe I didn't explain the problem well, but I can see it in my mind.
    Bob, the Long Roller:smokin

6. Matt Burke

Matt Burke Active Member

Media:
    Keep it simple gentlemen. Spey casting means less time in the air and more time in the water. Very damn few fish floating ten feet above the water.

Matt

"Everyday that you wake up and decide not to go fishing...is one less day you'll go fishing." Forrest Maxwell

7. Backyard

Backyard SANCHO!

Media:
  8. speyneznbhm

speyneznbhm New Member

back on the board and here is my favorite subject yes I switched 15 years now but refused to drop the american cash for a over priced american fad rod my winter rod came to me from england paid for in english pounds and mailed through customs total cost 215.00 including large arbor ledda reel has handled everything from alaska skagit sky snake clearwater et al horrible over kill on the nf so as I mentioned a few months ago for summer fish, windy days and pinks and silvers I got a hold of one of cabelas 11' 6 # float tube rods for the life of me I can't figure out who would want a 11 foot rod in a float tube you think it is hard landing a fish from the bank with the long rod just imagine it in float tube any how added 10" and re configuired the reel seat and cork handle bliss on the nf matched up with a hardy salmon #2 and rio mid spey in size 6\7 total cost 165 including the line look for second hand stuff and be creative if you want to save your cash for gas to get tto the river one trick I've learned on landing fish on the long rod is toget him above you turn his head downstream point the rod downstream and most times he'll glide right past you following the now slack line sometimes they come unbuttoned but were releasing them anyway right the view of them going away if they come off is often cooler than the kaos of tail pcture oh and ahh? some one out there agrees I'm sure it's the take the fight and the river where out there for not the kodachrome this year with the low and warm water especially. my point is this expensive cars are just cars rods are the same spend your money on good hooks and good waders even the most expensive rod won't help if your hooks are dull and your feet are cold
    thanks for the thread
    john

9. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    I agree, a fad to some.........

But that's like ANYTHING new (or new to an area). Speys have been around for a VERY long time. I've only been using them a few years now. But I remember myself (and this is from a more gear then fly guy) when you didn't see ANY fly guys. Especially on the OP rivers I fished. I rememeber around the time "the movie" came out an ONSLAUGHT of guys bought fly rods. You know how many I found cheap? Say it this way, I paid for one semester of college buying a super nice rod/reels cheap and reselling it for what it was worth. Speys will be the same. You'll get ALOT of guys buying them up. But, you'll see ALOT being sold soon afterwards too. I've found them quite useful. Just need to get my cast down (may actually break down for lessons ARGHHH). But once I have the line out, it's awesome. Like what Matt said above, more line on water longer (not in the air). Say it this way, I started picking up speys very cheap from guys selling out their "hated" rods. Was great for me. Was even better when i HAD to sell mine. Got twice the money for them. But, will keep my eyes peeled once I'm back on my feet again.