Another Speydicator Thread...

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Connor H, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Connor H

Connor H Bobbers n Beadz

Media:
    So I have a question about the Airflo Speydicator. The head weight for the line I am getting is measured at 480 grains I believe... It is a little outside my grain window, but I heard from another owner that it should cast well on my rod. Here is the question. So behind the head of the speydicator there is the "mending zone", or the heavy section designed to make mending easier. Having the head outside of the rod tip, will the heavy section act like overhang in the guides? I know that you must tune your line and rod combo, or the length of overhang, but will the mending zone mess this up? It was just a thought I had while looking at the line specs...

2. danimal

danimal Inglorious Twohander

Im running the 7wt on a meiser 11ft 7/8 switch. Black holding point is at the tip of the rod and it is an awesome casting line for me. Even throws heavy polys w/conehead flies.

If I was to throw any feedback to rajeff it would be to lighten the mending zone with a slightly smaller dia.

Over all I give it a B+ for my applications of it.

3. Wayne Kohan

Wayne Kohan fish-ician

Media:
    Hey Connor, I used the speydicator on a 11'6" Forecast 6/7 that I built and I used it only for indicator fishing. With a big indicator and one or two big heavy flies. I did not use it for swinging at all. I initially tried the 6 wt, then the 7 wt. The line mends wonderfully well when you get the cast out there, I just had trouble with the cast. I hear it swings well, but I carry another rod for swinging.

To answer your question, the head is measured to the black line, and so if correct grain weight, that would hang at the tip. However, when I stepped up to the 7 wt, it felt heave and I would pull some of the line in so the black line was in te guides. Easy to get the weight and length you want that way. I think the line would work well for indicator fishing if I used it on a different rod and wasn't trying to throw a car battery out there.

Wayne

4. Steelie Mike

Steelie Mike Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    It is my opinion my definition is that overhang is the amount of line that hangs outside the guides between the tip and the head. Is your question whether or not the rod will behave differently with line that carries more mass inside the guides rather than a thinner running line/mending zone?

5. Rick Sharp

Rick Sharp Member

Media:
    Give Steve Godshall a call 541-840-2594 or email stevegodshall@charter.net he's got a couple of options for your purpose that may very well work just right for your application, I'm real happy with my mending addition to the skagit head that he made for me and at a lower cost than a speydicator to boot, you won't be disappointed after discussing with Steve. He can put all this into perspective that makes sense and help make things a lot easier, the info alone is well worth the effort, a great guy and a wealth of info.

6. docstash

docstash Member

Conner,

I think you will find that there is a sweet spot between the amount of thick mending line still in the guides and the amount you have outside the guides and you will then know how far to strip in for the sweet spot and how much to adjust your stroke when you are not at the sweet spot, and you will not have to "think" about it as hard as you are. Of course, this is based on your casting ability 2 years ago when we fished together.

Craig