Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Another "tip help" question.

Spey 
779 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Panhandle 
#1 ·
O.k., I have all my tips identified and packed in their own little cubby holes. But.......... I have one tip hanging out alone. It is all gray, and has no bar markes to ID it. It is not an intermediate; all gray and has a litle weight.:confused: Thanks. Oh, and it's a RIO tip.

#2 ·
That gray one is the sinktip compensator. You use it to replace tip 2 (the center section). It will give you a bit more depth and help keep your sinktip down better.

#4 ·
The sinktip compensator takes the place of the center section (tip 2) on a WindCutter spey line. Is the piece you have close to 15' in length?
Rio also makes the same type of line section in a 10' piece which is a
10' cheater.

If it is close to 15' in length it is a sinktip compensator. Some people leave the floating tip 2 in place, some people don't use anything and loop the sinktip right to the belly, and some people replace the floating center section with the compensator for a bit more depth.

Like most other things connected to spey casting some people like the compensator and some hate it. ymmv

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.