Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

another 'what line?' thread

Spey 
722 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  SpeySpaz 
#1 ·
I just bought my first spey rod, a albright gp 13' 8/9. Now I am trying to figure out what to line it with. I live on the east coast and would use the rod primarily for stripers but maybe for a little surf fishing or steelhead fishing. I've been thinking about getting a windcutter 7/8/9 line but would like to get some more input or info before purchasing a line. For instance is there an advantage to buying a multi-tip line? If I bought a non-multi-tip line could I add my own sink tips? If using a non-multi-tip line what else do you need? Just a leader or something else too? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Casey

#2 ·
Casey,

I was recently coaching a beginner. We tried my Windcutter 7/8/9 on his 8/9 rod, and the line was too light. That line is excellent on 7/8 rods. So go up a size. I haven't tried an Allbright, but for your intended uses, a Scandi or AFS-type line of 40-some feet, either with integral running line or an interchangeable head/shooting line, would probably cover most bases.

More generally: With a floating line, in its normal configuration: tapering to a small, "dry fly-sized" tip, you use a leader about as long as your rod for floating flies and wet flies a little under the surface. You can use poly leaders off that tip, but only up to around 40-50 grains. That light tip just won't turn over normal sink tips.

Spey anglers have been cutting back floating lines, adding a loop, and using these lines as good multi tip lines for a long while. (Save the floating tip and add a braided loop to its back end.) If you cut it back to around .055," it will handle moderate tips; .065" or heavier will turn over most any tip. Factory multi-tip spey lines are the same thing, and they are quite versatile and practical, too. With sink tips, short (3 - 6') leaders are called for, depending on water clarity.

Spey rods are definitely line-critical. Many a spey rookie thinks that his rod is wanting, when all it needs is a line that fits it better. (Like hiking boots, when you think about it.) Beginners often do better with heavier lines, to feel the rod's action. In a few years, a slightly lighter line may feel like perfection. Do everything you can to beg and borrow other spey lines during your learning phase. Otherwise, you can go through $hundreds in persuit of a good fit. Generally, the preferred length of belly (very short, short, midbelly, long belly) will depend on your rod's length, with some weighting for individual preferences.

#5 ·
Yep. Most floating spey lines are fine with dry flies. The exception would be Skagit lines and a few others that are designed to loop on a separate tip.

#6 ·
So I know there are a lot of variables but would an Airflo Scandinavian Shooting Head 9/10-550 grains 42' be a good place to start? And do I have this right....I'd spool up my reel with running line (probably some type of poly) then loop in the airflo floating shooting head and then some type of leader...and if I then wanted to fish streamers I just switch the head to one of the sinking variations of shooting head and a leader... Is that right? Can I also fish subsurface with a floating shooting head and then a sink tip or poly leader? Thanks for all the help.

And what size running line should I go with? 20 or 30lb?

#8 ·
you wind on the backing, 30# dacron is fine for most applications.
tie the backing to the shooting line, usually 100' or so in length. There are widely varying preferences to shooting line diameters...use the search function:D
...the shooting line (running line) is looped onto the shooting head, which is finished off with either a poly leader or a tapered mono leader. The poly leaders are available in everything from floating to superultraextrafastrock sink rates. almost.
there are also full-sink scandi heads in varying densities.

then the confusing part begins, the casting part!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.