Anticipating my first saltwater experience

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by ricklea1953, Mar 14, 2008.

1. ricklea1953

ricklea1953 New Member

Actually, it is my first time fishing with fly gear. I took a great class and have been practicing casting at the local school ground every chance I get.

I bought a rod and reel I could afford at the time. I bought a "beach collection" of lures (I guess I should learn to call them flies but they don't look anything like flies to me) from a local fly shop. In the next few weeks I need to buy some waders. I have my knee high boots from work but they won't work. I need some waders.

Still trying to learn about leaders and tippets but I am sure it will come in time.

The cutts I will release the best way I know possible. The coho I will release after I get one for the outdoor grill (sorry but there is some of that primal instinct in me that says put food on the table.

Thanks to Les Johnson and Steve Raymond for their books. Both remind me of my younger days fishing the Wishkah and Johns Rivers.

Regards,
    Rick Lea

2. Connor H

Connor H Bobbers n Beadz

Media:
    If its your first time with fly gear I don't suggest you start off for src's. I don't want to ruin the hype but the salt is tough. If you have a secret beach than I could be wrong. Just get out there and have fun!

3. ricklea1953

ricklea1953 New Member

I don't have a secret beach. My first outing will be part of a fly fishing puget sound class that I am taking. I wouldn't attempt it the first time without a guide or instructor.

Should be fun with or without fish. I haven't been on the salt in a few years.

4. Steven Green

Steven Green Hood Canal Pirate

Media:
    a guided class will be very helpful.

5. Les Johnson

Les Johnson Les Johnson

It is strictly a non-retention regulation (catch-and-release) in all Washington Marine waters. You also have to be diligent on keeping sea-run cutthroat (SRCs for the spelling challenged) taken in rivers. Many streams are catch-and-release only. Others have slot limits.
    If you want to eat a fish taken from the salt, crack your first resident coho on the head and split it down the spine for the broiler.
    Read your regulations.
    Good Fishing,
    Les Johnson