antique store bamboo rod

Discussion in 'Bamboo, Fiberglass & Classic Reels' started by Jason Rolfe, Dec 19, 2005.

1. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

I was at an antique store the other day and I came upon an old bamboo rod. It was 55 bucks, but fairly beat up. It was a 3 piece with 2 tips...some of the sections were slightly bent and some of the guides would need new binding. I almost bought it, simply because it was a bamboo rod for cheap. I know no one here can really say without seeing the rod--but I was wondering if anyone thinks it might be something not to pass up. It looked like it could be a fun little rod, with a little love. The only problem would be the slight bend in the tip section. Any suggestions?
    :hmmm:

2. Scott Behn

Scott Behn Active Member

Any inscriptions on the rod or photos????

:cool:

3. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

I looked for a maker or inscription--there was just some worn out label that you couldn't read anymore.

4. rockymountain_brown

rockymountain_brown Senore Member

At 55 whatever the rod as long as it's not japanese would be a good deal. Do you remember the name? As for straightening the tips, the easiest way is with heat. It can be done by applying something like heat from a stovetop until the bamboo is quite warm to to the touch, and then bend it slowly to the position you think it should go.
    RMB

5. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

Yeah,
    The more I think about it, the more I want to go back and pick that thing up. It's going to be some work trying to get it into working condition. Hopefully no one else has found it in the last couple of days.
    There was no name on it anywhere, unfortunately.
    Thanks for the advice.

6. Nooksack Mac

Nooksack Mac Active Member

Almost any vintage bamboo rod will have these slight faults. These are easy repairs to make, with care. And if you decide to strip and revarnish the rod and redo all the wraps, it just makes the rod more your own. (Besides, it's winter...)

7. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Before I'd plunk down $50 for an unknown bamboo rod, I'd want to put the pieces together (slide the ferrules straight together, don't twist) and flex it. Better yet, string it up and see how it casts. Old cane rods in the 7 to 8' range were nearly all built for a 6wt line. If it's 8-1/2' or longer it might be for a heavier line, but I'd play it safe and still try it with a 6wt.

If you've never cast a cane rod, you might be rudely surprised at how heavy they feel compared with graphite and how sloooooow their actions are. You may well find it's not your cup of tea, regardless of the price.

Secondly, when you flex or cast the rod, pay close attention to feeling for any 'clicks' or 'pops' that seem to come from the ferrules when the rod flexes. If a ferrule is cracked or has come unstuck, that's not a repair for a part-time craftsman and the cost of having a pro replace or reset a ferrule can easily multiply your initial cost.

Finally, not all bamboo rods are created equal. Just because it's made of bamboo, old, and costs 'only' $50 doesn't mean it's automatically a bargain. For example, post-WWII Japanese cane rods are nearly worthless and the market is flooded with them (check out eBay and see how many go begging for a $5 or $10 opening bid.) In most cases, they're not even worth $1 unless you intend to hang it on your den wall.

It the rod's a piece of crap, you're gonna be out $50+ and no amount of refinishing in the off season will make it any better.

If the rod's a decent caster, refinishing it may well reduce its value. Might be a good idea to have someone who knows what they're doing take a closer look at it to gauge its age, make and value before you start sanding away.

K

8. Porter

Porter Active Member

As usual, excellent advice.....Kent. I still have not taken that leap into the bamboo world but when I do....expect a PM from me. Happy Holidays to you and your family.....you old Lumberjack.

9. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Thanks Porter. Same to you and yours.

Lumberjack, eh . . . ? Same to ya! :beer2:

K