Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Antron for Chironomids or Emergers

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Mumbles 
#1 ·
What source to you all use for your chironomid or emerger patterns? I've found a couple of local sources but not sure what a good source would be. I got a small set of flies tied by a crafty veteran who says he used individual tufts of carpet fibers from bright colors, grey, white, tan and then frizzed them up with a brass dubbing brush made from a pistol barrel brush. The flies look good, and I've got some antron carpet swatches...what do you think?

It is okay to laugh, I'm laughing as I'm typing it myself...but the fact that I have about a billion tufts of antron fibers in these swatches is a reality that cannot be overlooked.

#2 ·
I have little spools of antron in various colors from various fly shops. I use it for wing cases on mayfly and midge emergers, post wings on parachutes, shellbacks on midge emergers, shucks for midges, mayflies and caddis, midge pupa gills, etc.

#5 ·
I've got a bunch of antron dubbing...just wondering about putting these tufts of carpet to use. FDC, those antron supplies are cool though, you wicked shopper you.

#6 ·
I'd want to make sure those carpet fibers were free from any chemicals, ie. fire retardants, stain inhibitors, or any other possible fish repellants.

#7 ·
Good point FDC, who the heck knows what all is in there to keep away stains and stuff. I guess my cheap ass will have to get some spools of antron. I do have a bunch of sparkle dubbing made of antron, I will likely try a bit of that first.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.