Any action to report or advise for Brown's Pt

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by ricklea1953, Apr 12, 2008.

1. ricklea1953 New Member

Covington, Washington
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Got my new 6 wt and a basic casting class under my belt. Will be buying my license tomorrow. I have not fished in a few years and I am about to try Brown's Point because it is close to home and I believe it will be a good place to perfect/learn my casting technique. I have never cast a fly into the water so this is a brand new experience for me. I also bought a couple of wooley buggers for lake meridian, which is ten minutes from my house. I thought I might practice there in the evenings, after work.

Input would be appreciated. I am so exited about my first fly fishing experience!

Rick
  2. Steven Green Hood Canal Pirate

Poulsbo, Washington
    If the fish are in they will bite a wooly bugger :thumb:

They work just about everywhere.
  3. Gertie's Pa New Member

Lacey, WA
    Rick, I get excited when I learn of newcomers to our sport! When I first started (the late '60's) my favorite place to practice was in my backyard. Stick with it and if you're real lucky your professional life may soon go to hell, your marriage may be in trouble and your kids may forget who you are. Good luck and keep in touch with the forum. It's a great source of info.
  4. ricklea1953 New Member

Covington, Washington
    Thanks. I plan to make my first attempt this coming weekend.

Rick
  5. Les Johnson Les Johnson

.Redmond, WA
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    Take some chum babies along. There could be juvenile pink salmon around and they attract cutthroat. Also, a small baitfish like the Lambuth Candlefish will look like lunch to resident coho salmon.
    Les Johnson
  6. ricklea1953 New Member

Covington, Washington
    Thanks Les,

I have used your books religously to learn about the sport of fly fishing.
    I am honored when you or Leland respond.

All the money in the world won't help us common folks to understand fly fishing. Why does it have to be so complicated? Tippets, leaders, clousers, wooley buggers.

It is all very 2008 and all very confusing to the beginner. I can buy a $3500 bamboo rod from Orvis but why? Anyhow, thanks for your help.

Rick
  7. Steven Green Hood Canal Pirate

Poulsbo, Washington
    My father Told me the other night that he could out fish me with a bobber and a canepole vs. all my fly gear. Who knows :thumb:
  8. dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Near the Fjord
    Ratings: +562 / 0
    Most "kids" don't listen to their parents, do they?!!!! :)
  9. Randru Member

Yakima WA
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    Well if they did all the $3500 cane rod builders would be broke and out of business... unless their parents told them not to get into building $3500 cane rods in which case I guess they had it coming.

R
  10. Steven Green Hood Canal Pirate

Poulsbo, Washington
    Well legally speaking I am an adult :ray1:

All else aside I hope I stay a kid for a looooooong time :cool: