Any Advice for Coho and SRC beach fishing?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by 6wt, Sep 12, 2004.

1. 6wt

6wt 6wt

Thank you in advance for any advice received!

Am new to flyfishing in the salt. Would like to try flyfishing for Coho and SRC from a beach. Lincoln Park is close by as I live in West Seattle. Unfortunately, no boat to gain access to the Duwamish or the Salt off of Seacrest Park. Will my 6wt with either a floating line? or, with a typeIII sinking line be successful? I have heard people speak of "knudson spiders", a "red/silver flash fly", and "clousers"; are these on track?

Is an incoming high tide the best time to go out? Dawn? Pre-dawn? Evening? or, a day like today with grey overcast and drizzle?

Thank you again for any assistance!

2. cocothemonkey

cocothemonkey New Member

try the purdy spit for src's and narrows park for silvers and src's. also try tohit gorst crick during the week to avoid excessive gear and fly guys.

good luck

3. pcknshvl

pcknshvl Member

Do a search for past posts on Lincoln Park. Also, do one for basic saltwater fishing.

Your 6wt is perfect, and you'll probably have the most success with your type iii line. Floating lines work fine, too, especially if you want to throw a beach popper or gurgler. But start with the basic Knudesen's and Reverse spiders, and Clouser's. Any fly shop can easily get you started--Patricks, Avid Angler, and Creekside all have local saltwater enthusiasts working there.

Tom

4. Jay Allyn

Jay Allyn The Poor-Student Fly Fisher

5. 6wt

6wt 6wt

Thanks for the info! Will let yall know how it works out.

6. Philster

Philster Active Member

There are 4 key elements to catching SRCs and salmon off the beach

1. Cover lots of water. I often move WHILE retreiving.

2. Cover lots of water. These fish are constantly on the move.

3. Cover lots of water. Like freshwater salmon, only a percentage will take a fly. Showing your fly to lots of fish increases your odds.

4. Cover lots of water. If you fish the same area frequently, covering lots of water will help you really identify the hot spots and the consistently dead spots.

If I had to name a 5th, it would be "Cover lots of water" :p

7. Denny

Denny Active Member

An additional item to add to your list, Phil, would be to pick a few beaches and really learn them, establishing 'home water', just like good steelheaders do respective to rivers.

Some beaches fish better during ebb tide, some during flood, and some fish at both. Examine the beaches during low tide and get a feel for structure. And, different tide changes will cause different currents, seams, and eddys on those beaches. Becoming familiar with those water nuances will help you determine at which spots/points along the beach you should fish at the different points in the various tides (ebb or flood) and tidal changes.

:ray1:

8. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Dont forget to enter a search here for those topics, they have been heavily covered with many answers available from several years of commentary by many members. Try "Beach Fishing" "SRC fishing" and combinations of those in full spelling etc.

9. Les Johnson

Les Johnson Les Johnson

Information on SRC fishing. Read my new book

As much as knowing which beach to visit is undertanding the cutthroat, its haunts, preferences and timing along various beaches in Washinton. To this end I am announcing that my new book, "Fly Fishing Coastal Cutthroat Trout" is available through both Amazon and Borders and when ordered will be shipped on October 7. Reviews thus far have been good.

Good fishing,
    Les Johnson

10. Jay Allyn

Jay Allyn The Poor-Student Fly Fisher

Yeah!!!!!!! If's Out!!!!!!!!!!

iagree

I'll be getting the book very soon! Been waiting for it for months! :thumb: