Any Backcountry Skiers Out There?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Muskypicker, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Muskypicker Member

Colorado
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    I'm trying to put together a backcountry ski touring/steelhead trip for next spring. Been looking around at different ski guides and steelhead guides in the same general area as one another, but am wondering if anyone has done anything like this before and has some recommendations. Am open to US and Canada destinations.

Thank you
  2. Chris Bellows aka. topwater

The Salt
    Ratings: +750 / 0
  3. Dan Nelson Hiker, Fisher, Writer, Bum

Puyallup, WA
    Ratings: +320 / 5
  4. Chris Bellows aka. topwater

The Salt
    Ratings: +750 / 0
    of course, for fresh steelhead there are less options. if the government ever reopens, you can fish the olympic peninsula and ski tour on hurricane ridge on the weekends. Pacific Alpine Guides does trips on Hurricane Ridge and there are tons of steelhead guides on the West End (I recommend JD Love, Curt Reed at Waters West, and Jim Kerr).

Pacific Alpine Guides

Ed Call likes this.
  5. martyg Active Member

The world at large
    Ratings: +74 / 0
    I'd think that you'd be really limited and not get the best of either worlds.

If you are down low and fishing for steelhead then you'd have 3,000 - 5,000 feet of climbing to get to good snowpack. If you are climbing or skiing into the afternoon avy risk becomes unacceptably high. Once March hits and thaws start tree wells become larger. Yeah, they are easier to spot, but you have less wiggle room. With freeze / thaw cycles and shade / sun the tree skiing gets manke and inconsistent as well unless you are on north facing aspects that see little sun. A helicopter at your disposal would help maximize your time and enjoyment.

For my time a March / April tour in the North Cascades or BC when we have a solid ridge of high pressure can't be beat. Brilliant sunshine, warm days and lots of great corn. Sublime.
  6. Muskypicker Member

Colorado
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Thanks a ton for the feedback and information. I realize I'm probably going to have to travel a few hours to get from one to the other, which is fine.

I'm prefer self-powered touring rather than a helicopter, although it certainly seems easier sometimes. Trying to burn off all the beer I drink, I suppose.

Any suggestions for Oregon or Idaho? Someone else had recommended the Sawtooth range skiing and Salmon River steelhead in April. I'm just not too familiar with waters and mountain ranges outside of Colorado.

Thanks again for your time.
    Chris
  7. jdbutula Member

BC
    Ratings: +12 / 0
    Ski in Whistler, and steelhead fish in Squamish!
  8. martyg Active Member

The world at large
    Chris - I am with you. I am as much about the up as the down.

I sometimes guide on the Middle Fork and it seems there is a group from Sun Valley that chases steelhead on the Salmon. You might want to call the fly shops in Stanley, ID. The Sawtooths don't get a ton of snow, but they do get snow and have vertical. Sun Valley should have a few guide services.

Since you are willing to drive the Olympic Peninsula would be an option. Be aware that Spring weather can be really fickle. You might hit a magic week of high pressure where you can cruise ridge lines as far as the eye can see. Or you might be socked in and not be able to leave the parking lot. The Olympics do have great touring. But it doesn't come easy. Jim Kerr is your steelhead guide there

Whistler would also be on my list. I don't know about fishing, but lift access backcountry on the Spearhead Traverse is about a good as it gets. Check out the Whistler Guide Bureau.

Finally, I am an instructor on Baker. Ping me if you are up this way.
  9. Evan Virnoche Outerspeyz Fly-style

Mill Creek
    Ratings: +675 / 0
    Go ride hemispheres at baker and fish the nutsac
  10. martyg Active Member

The world at large
    Neither would be worth traveling from CO for. However a climb of Baker (the mtn proper) and the 8,000' decent are worth a trip. Especially if you hit Rainier, Adams and maybe a few others.

There are also several multi-day traverses that are options if fitness and skills levels are up to it.
  11. Ander New Member

Puget Sound
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Ski: Eldorado Peak
    Swing: Skagit

Would be a perfect spring trip, if the river were open...
  12. Cocobitzz New Member

Whitefish, MT
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I am a skier! I'm actually gonna be living in a van at my baker all winter and Spey fishing skagit valley and hopefully the peninsula. Get a howl I me if you wanna meet up tho winter