Any Beaches West of SEATAC???

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Deandog311, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Deandog311

Deandog311 New Member

I have the afternoon off and was interested in trying out a new area. I've only fished the salt once up at Whidbey Island and didn't have any luck. I'm interested in the Burien & north area along that westerly coast. Is there any beaches along that stretch that have public access? any possible reports along there? thanks in advance. chasing SRCs btw.

2. Coach Duff

Coach Duff Banned or Parked

Media:
    Head towards Des Moines. Better yet, buy a Thomas Guide and Washington Gazateer at Costco, and then you will see massive amounts of shoreline and feeder creeks that can be identified. Buy "Estuary Flyfishing" by Steve Raymond, any Les Johnson Searun cutthroat book and read them. Then toss all of the knowledge you gained together and you will never have to ask for an exact beach or body or water on the site again. The real joy comes when you find a spot on a map, find a way to access it, and then it yields you fruits of your work and success in good numbers of our most beautiful gamefishes. I usually sit back and say nothing on the "where do I fish?" but this one struck a nerve in me. There is this thing called the Puget Sound/South Sound/Hood Canal yada yada yada and there are searuns and resident coho, blackmouth and incoming coho as we speak. Not insulting you in any way, but don't miss a chance to do this yourself. It's as much fun as you can have without going to jail! Tight lines and good luck hunting! Duffer

3. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide.

Cranberry Country...a glorified coastal swamp!
    Isn't Lincoln Park near there? A bit farther North, but not too far. I've heard that place sometimes can be a good spot to throw some flies for searuns and salmon.

4. hendersonbaylocal

hendersonbaylocal Member

Media:
    Lincoln Park is a good spot for both searuns and rezzies.

5. Deandog311

Deandog311 New Member

Coach Duff-
    I do appreciate the references on the books and I have already purchased and read Les' book. Here is my problem: I was born & raised in Alaska where a person NEVER had to worry about private property, different beaches being open on every 3rd even day of months beginning with an "S" but only if it was a leap year kind of fishing regulations. Fishing season opened and it closed and that's about how complex it got. I do realize it appeared as though I was "fishing" for a honey hole but I wasn't. I have no idea where most of the beaches you guys talk about in here are or more importantly how to access them without getting arrested or shot at. I am not used to every square mile being private property.

I do have a WA topographic map which works out allright but also gets frustrating trying to find the roads to some of the places you survey.

Again, no offense taken and I apologize if I offended anybody in here by my question. I'm off to try a "spot" I found on my map. Anybody have a phone number incase I get arrested??? hahaha
    Cheers

6. Les Johnson

Les Johnson Les Johnson

All Puget Sound beaches are west of Sea Tac. If you don't have a Washington Gazzetteer I urge you to get one. Curcle all of the public beaches from Brown's Point to Richmond Beach and you will have a lifetime of fishing to figure out -- and enjoy.
    Les Johnson

7. Tom Johnston

Tom Johnston Been around a while

Media:
    Try and use MapQuest on the internet. It will give you turn by turn from your location to some where. You dont have to have a precise address, it will try and get you to the closest location. Google Map is also good. Ive use Google alot.

8. hikepat

hikepat Patrick

Media:
    Or get a kayak, life vest etc and open even more beaches to yourself.

9. Tom Johnston

Media:
    Just curious why SEATAC??? You live in Woodinville right? There is further up I-5 like Tulalip, Edmonds, Marysville. These areas all have good points to fish.

10. Deandog311

Deandog311 New Member

Thanks for the advice on finding access. I ended up going down to "picnic beach" or "park"or something like that up by Lynwood/Mukilteo. Fished for about 2 hours is all and had no luck. Saw 2 jumpers about 100 yards off shore don't know if they were coho or srcs. Saw absolutely zero feeder fish in close. I caught a lot of kelp and seagrass....which was fun :hmmm:

Reason for the interest down by SEATAC is that I fly in and out of there almost on a daily basis and as I'm taking off/landing, I'm always looking along those beaches over there.

I guess I'll just keep trying. It's one of those things where a picture is worth a million words...would just like to watch somebody who knew what they were doing and how to find these fish. The way I'm going, I might as well just go out and cast in the parking lot...wouldn't catch as much kelp!!!! :beathead:

11. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
  12. Tom Johnston

Media:
    I like to fish in a bay where the seaweed is not that bad. Fishing along the main secton of the Sound gets alot of seaweed on either side of the tide for me.

13. constructeur

constructeur Active Member

Media:
    Dean-There's no need to make this such a hard hobby! You do need to practice casting, though do so on the grass. It's fun and relaxing :thumb:

'Finding fish' is directly correlated to your time input :cool:

A quick google map/satellite of the area lists Seola park, Seahurst Park, Marine view park, Des Moines Beach Park as well as like 5 or so other areas to possibly access the beach. Who cares if you get 86'd off the beach, are you worried they'll take your birthday away?

14. BruceAC

BruceAC Member

deandog
    i moved here from the east coast and didn't know anything about anyplace... regardless of origin,... the principles of map research and doing your own homework are universal. the public beaches i go to are not secret spots, just ones that i located on the map and committed time to scout out. as mentioned in previous post...a very rewarding process and adventure you will take pride in.

15. Coach Duff

Coach Duff Banned or Parked

Media:
    I stand by the advice I gave you above. Simple as that, private beach phobias or no private beach phobias. ;)