Any body fishes the ECHO 3 ?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by yuhina, Jun 11, 2012.

1. yuhina Tropical member

Boston-Idaho
    Ratings: +43 / 0

I am interested in this new line of spey rods from Echo. I wonder if any body here have casted them? what is the action compare to others? Thanks.
  2. SSPey Member

Oregon
    Ratings: +9 / 0
    funny that you would post that video, I borrowed Jay's 6127 yesterday for a test drive. Echo's description of "fast-ish" is accurate. I tested it head-to-head against my old Sage 6126-3 Euro. In that comparison, the Echo3 has an ever-just-so-slightly lighter tip, a bit stronger mid, and much stronger butt. Smooth taper throughout, but didn't transfer feel into the hand as well as I like, probably that butt strength. You can cast lightly or "whack" the Echo fairly hard, and that strength was an asset throwing a shorthead spey line. With skagit/scandi shooting heads, I found the Sage developed more line speed with less effort. The taper of the Echo3 was somewhat reminiscent of the TFO Deer Creek 13' 7/8, very versatile, but noticably better graphite, recovery, and lightness. This would be a great all-season rod for short shooting heads.
    yuhina likes this.
  3. yuhina Tropical member

Boston-Idaho
    Great information! Steve,
    Thank you!! From your description, it seems the new Echo 3 are faster action than the TR, which should be more "snappier". I am not a big fan of strong butt section (read: scandinavian rod), but always appreciate the fast recovery material. I have casted the TFO DC 7/8 and really impressed by it's good feel.

BTW, I always enjoy Jay's videos! :)
  4. SSPey Member

Oregon
    Though I didn't cast aside a TR, the Echo3 that I tried actually struck me as having a stronger tip and softer mid, being more "loadable" into the mid than the TR and definitely more line speed with less effort. I might place the Echo3 flex profile somewhat in between the Decho (borrows the top half) and TR (borrows the bottom half), but way more zip than either
    fisshman26 likes this.
  5. TrevorH Active Member

Bellingham, WA, US.
    Ratings: +32 / 0
    I've been wondering about that rod to sit opposite my Sage 6126 as my short belly spey 6wt, for the 5/6 nextcast. I'd like some additional length over my T&T 1206.
  6. SSPey Member

Oregon
    Trevor, I threw the Nextcast 45' 5/6 on the Echo3 6127. A fine match for a deeply loaded rod.
  7. TrevorH Active Member

Bellingham, WA, US.
    Ratings: +32 / 0
    ...but you feel like you can hit it quite a bit harder than the Sage? If so, sounds interesting. It's been on my short list of candidates.
  8. yuhina Tropical member

Boston-Idaho
    Thanks Steve,

I wasn't reading the previous too quick and for some reason thought they are more stiffer than the TR (it should be the Sage 6126). I never casted the old Sage 6126, but did the 5120 before, it was a really surprisingly soft rod.

I wonder if you are familiar with the Beulah Platinum 7132. It seem this rod fit the category of what you just described here to the Echo3 6127...
  9. SSPey Member

Oregon
    I tossed my Platinum 7132 in the same session as the Echo3 6127, to compare directly (both with a Nextcast FF45'). The Platinum and Echo3 are very similar in the top of the rod, the Echo3 has maybe a bit more flex in the mid, and is certainly a little stronger in the butt. The graphite performance (weight/recovery) is similar.

Though I don't own a Platinum 6126, I've thrown one on several occasions, and would guess it is maybe 1/3 line weight less powerful than the Echo3 6127
  10. yuhina Tropical member

Boston-Idaho
    Great information! Steve,

Echo3 sounds like has a fantastic action I like. mid action and progressive.
    Too bad the local shop did not carry them...:( otherwise I will be able to test it.

As a side note, the new Loomis NRX and Sage ONE are on the same band wagon. midfast-action, progressive and lightening fast recovery. I am thinking to get the sage ONE 9140 to replace the TCX 7126. feel similar lightness in hands, but has the advantage of longer leverage.
  11. g_smolt Recreational User

58°19'59 N, 134°29'49 W
    Ratings: +161 / 0
    I have the E3 6127 and the 7130, and just spent the last 5 days fishing the 7130 about 15 hours a day. The rod is snappy as hell and is easily overloaded if you try to muscle your casts or use too much top-hand. It is crispy as all get-out with an Airflo skagit compact 450/12' t-10, and it was moving everything from 3" unweighted smolt to 8" stringleeches with minimal change in stroke and effort. IMO, it is a "true" 7, so think light and fast.
    yuhina likes this.
  12. Steelie Mike Active Member

Camas, WA
    Ratings: +24 / 0
    The 8134 has become my winter skagit rod. I have been fishing it since March and got to say it's a cannon for chucking grains and large flies. I fixed it up with a Airflo 570 and have used a 600 on it as well. I am not sure if I will try a scandi on it, but plan on putting a Fall Fav and Rage on it.
    yuhina likes this.
  13. Brian Thomas Active Member

Kamloops B.C
    Ratings: +120 / 0
    You`ll want to at least give it a shot . I spent some time with that rod and a compact scandi (not sure which weight head) at the M&Y Clave in April , and was mightily impressed .
  14. yuhina Tropical member

Boston-Idaho
    Thanks Mike,
    I haven't think about the 8 weight. Will have to give it a try...

Tim Rajeff is coming to Boston next week. I will be able to cast a bunch of them, I will ask him about the graphite and taper design on this series. will report back.

Mark
  15. Red Shed "junkyard spey"

Peck, ID
    Ratings: +7 / 0
    Mark, I might know where you can get a test drive.