Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Any cheetahs here?

2K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  Jason Chadick 
G
#1 ·
So what is everyones preferred method to bulk up the profile with flies?

I have been tying for about 1 week, and almost never follow rules. This may be a bad thing. I normally see a fly and just try to tie it while reserching techniques online.

Has anyone had expirience using the soft discs from pro tubes? seems like the easiest way to maintain large profile flies.

As of right now i have tried spinning dubbing in and or clumping arctic fox. I feel like i waste so much arctic fox in the process.

i only really tie on pro tubes is there any disadvantage to this?

Attachments

See less See more
#8 ·
This is what I do too. You still end up "wasting" some as you pull the fibers out when you brush the fox but it works well and you don't go through a crazy amount.

Another thing I like to use as a prop for marabou is polar chenille. My tying is nothing to strive for but here's one that has the spun fox at that rear(with ostrich) and the polar chenille to prop the marabou at the front.
Light Automotive lighting Line Art Gas

#10 ·
Its ok Evan I'll translate. He's looking for methods other than the traditional ones that he may or may not doing correctly, in order to obtain a larger profile with less time at the bench, and essentially "cheat" . Hence the thread title.
Don't be a cheatah Evan tie a collar of spun calf tail behind the fox and marabou

#17 ·
The discs do work to an extent, but for building a large profile it is still hard to beat fur spun into a dubbing loop. So far the best stuff I've used that accomplishes this task very well is Raccoon. It is relatively stiff, translucent, and doesn't require a whole huge clump to be spun in order to get that effect you want. Scott Howell sells "Steely ****" on his website, which is essentially the same stuff, just dyed a whole lot better than what you'd find in most shops. Here's a video of him tying up a Squidro using the steely ****. As you can clearly see, it works.

Jerry French does something similar with turkey quill and dubbing mixes, the results are pretty cool and they work too. Here is a side by side of one of Jerry's flies (On the right) and one of mine tied with the raccoon. Both flies have multiple days and multiple hook-ups, sorry if they look chewed up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.