any coho or cutty reports?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Jake Bannon, Jun 5, 2007.

1. Jake Bannon

Jake Bannon nymphs for steelhead....

Media:
    Ive been over looking this board latley and havnt seen any reports of any fish. Ive been out a couple times over the last week and have only been able to find really small cutties. Anyone else having this problem latley?

2. salt dog

salt dog card shark

Media:
    Sno Co area SeaRuns have been pretty kelty looking to be honest with you, and smaller than average.

Even when you get a decent length fish, pretty skinny, no sea lice, like they just recently came from fresh water. That goes along with the nearly total absence of chum smolt along the beaches this Spring, and of course no pink salmon smolt. Sand lance schools are of modest size, but at least are present.

IMO, by June they should be pretty robust, although I did catch one 14" Coastal Cutthroat Saturday that was getting there, and Tony Kraft picked up a fine looking Coho that same morning incident to fishing for SRC, that looked like it certainly was getting his share of feed. Saw a few larger fish moving, probably Coho, but about 125 ft out. And that's the report from East Marine Area 8.2 & 9.

3. Milt Roe

Milt Roe Member

Several really small SRC caught way down S in area 13. These were SRC that are only 7-8 inches or so, and yes I know what they are so they were SRC. I've seen the larger fish working bait, but there is so much bait maybe they are all too full. What I've offered they don't want. Still very pleasant fishing with the weather so nice...

Lots of Sand Lance and fewer but larger chums in small schools. I rowed around 8 miles on Saturday along the shoreline, with only 4-5 small SRC and 3 coho smolts to show for it. But I wasn't working it that hard, just enjoying the row and dragging a fly. Fine with me, I catch enough to keep me happy. The numbers game is no longer a concern, I was out more for the ride and to talk to folks along the shore. One lady was giving her husband a haircut on the beach. She offered me one too, but I declined the offer based on the quality of the job I observed.

4. Ethan G.

Ethan G. I do science.. on fish..

Media:
    I've only been out a couple times this year, but my experience is generally the same. Not alot and they were all pretty small. Biggest one I caught was 12" on a sand lance imitation. I'm gonna try to get out this evening and see if I can't catch a few nice ones.

5. Benni

Benni Member

Media:
    i have been fishing area 13 with mixed success. i have been fortunate to get into some good size cutts, last week picked up 3 between 15" and 18". took my dad out and got his first, about 12". also mixed in there are some decent sized silvers, they seem to be getting fatter...

6. Jake Bannon

Media:
    Ive mostly been fish MA 11 in Colvos Pass. My biggest has only been around 13inches. Been tossing spiders and clousers with very limited success. Last time I was at the narrows which was sometime a few weeks ago there were a lot of small 3 - 4in hatchery coho but yet there were large ones jumping in the 3 - 5 lb catigory and a buddy had one nice fish on a shrimp pattern. Walked from the narrows to Pt. Fosdick with zero hook ups. Do the seal lions have anything to do with the coho or cutties because whenever I see them rising close to shore its like the bites off?

7. salt dog

salt dog card shark

Media:
    Yup, hard to eat and run when you're worried about being on someone else's menu. Seeing one seal crusing the area in deeper water makes me think there are some decent fish in the area. Seeing several seals close to shore makes me wish I had a wrist rocket handy to get them the heck out of there.

8. obiwankanobi

obiwankanobi Active Member

Media:
    I fished Lincoln Park two weekends ago and had no success, but with a seal pup on the beach and its mom in feeding action, I understood why.

9. Jake Bannon

Media:
    I hate those seal lions, they are nothing but a fish eating machines.

10. Eric Tarcha

Eric Tarcha gear whore

Media:
    Hit Carkeek about a week ago, no luck, nothing moving, jumping or tailing....been unlucky as of late, as far as being able to hit the tides right, though.

11. Mike Etgen

Mike Etgen Not Quite A Luddite, But Can See One From Here

Media:
    Fished an Area 10 beach on the falling tide for about three hours Sunday and hooked and landed four cutts - none over twelve inches, but all spirited fighters. I lost a couple of others and did have several other fish rise or swirl to my popper. Saw no signs of any silvers.

Just enough action to keep me interested and encouraged.

12. Ethan G.

Ethan G. I do science.. on fish..

Media:
    Just got back from fishing my favorite north sound beach. No cutts to be found. I'm sure if I stayed a while longer I would have gotten into some, the tide wasn't quite running yet. But I did catch my first shiner perch on fly. It's a first for me anyway. I did get a few solid smacks on my fly, but none hooked up for long.

13. bigfun4me

bigfun4me Team Infidel

I rarely post anything about my trips but thought I would chime in on this.

I went to my best MA 11 spot Sunday morning. There was a strong outgoing tide with some cloud cover. I had seen some bait in the area on a previous visit and wanted to try out a new reel I purchased. (Nautilus NV 6/7- thanks Clark and Anil)

I fish this spot year round' and always marvel at how some days the fish are there and others they are non existent under similar conditions. I guess that is why I continue to come back; trying to put more pieces of that never ending puzzle together.

Anyway, the second cast resulted in a small cutt on a variation of a pink clouser. (Getting ready for the pinks and needed to try out a new pattern) After releasing eight smaller cutts in a row I decided to venture further into the rip before it slowed down in pursuit of something bigger. The owner of the property had just informed me he hooked a nice king last week in the same spot so visions of my six wt. being abused were running through my head.

Although there were no kings this day, I was pleasantly suprised by the number of decent sized cutts I was able to release once I hit deeper water. Cutts over 12" had been difficult to come by in this spot over the past seven months or so.

Yesterday, larger fish seemed to be around in good numbers and were jumping all over. I caught a half dozen from 12" up to about 16" from the same spot in short order. I noticed several of the large fish puked up what looked like herring to about 5". I also had several strikes that were hard enough to pull the line right out of my hands and leave me chuckling to myself a little. You can't help but smile a little when that happens.

I Followed the tide rip down the beach and continued to release several more beautiful fish. Once the tide slowed down and the sun came out the bite died off and it was time to go.

There were no silvers caught on this day but I have not released any for several weeks from this spot. The last one I did catch appeared very healthy at about 20".

Thanks to all who post information on the board. I know I have personally benefitted from it and will try sharing more of my observations in the future.

14. obiwankanobi

obiwankanobi Active Member

Media:
    I must admit bigfun, that that is one helluva of a day. Congrats on your success. I am lucky to nab 5-6 rezzies where I fish and that is about all. Still have yet to catch an SRC, but I did manage to spear a seal in it BBQ'd nicely.

15. jkold

jkold Member

Anybody fishing Area 7? I've always lived near the salt but never gotten into fishing it. Is it a waste of time up this way or should I head south some?

16. Salmon fisher

Salmon fisher Member

I fished an area 10 beach two evenings ago for about an hour. Landed 4 SRCs. They were all around 8 inches though. Can anybody help explain this (the seem kinda small to me)?

17. Graham Young

Graham Young Member

Similar to salmon fisher, my last two outings in the BI area have yielded only two SRCs, all of about 6-8 inches - I'm relatively new to this game but was connecting with larger fish at same time last year.

18. Dave Hartman

Dave Hartman is tired of trout

Media:
    I started on the Sky today. I was intent on floating it, but the color had come back and I thought tomorrow would be better.
    So I headed to Picnic point. I'm so new to the SRC thing. This was my fourth day out, I've caught a grand total of three cutts so far, the largest being 14 inches. But today I threw out my (maybe?) 10th cast and I was thinking, This is just like fishing for stripers on the east coast, except the fish are way smaller. And I swear, right when I thought that, my fly stopped and I set the hook into a silver. Right at my feet! But it didn't run, it just rolled around, tugged a tiny bit. That was a good thing, this was my 5 weight with maybe 100 yards of backing at most, and this was a good 10 pound fish. But it wasn't a good thing that it just kept rolling on me. This went on for about two minutes and I decided to play harder, and he decided to spit it.
    Pretty exciting really, but disappointing the same. I fished for another two hours and caught nothing.
    :beer2:
    :beathead:

19. Jake Bannon

Media:
    Man, the biggest fish Ive caught in the salt so far was about 19inches.

20. salt dog

salt dog card shark

Media:
    Seems like it's starting to pick up both as to numbers and quality of the SeaRuns.

Last couple of times out on different Marine Area 9 beaches treated me pretty well. I hit better tides at better times of day, lot more fish moving and more aggressive. Although I never did see the chum smolt running like last year, the sand lance are filling in pretty well. Slender profile Lime green over white dressing about 4" long, on a size 6 hook was pretty effective. I was loosing quite a few and tied the same pattern on a sz 8 short shank hook (Gammy Octopus) and that appeared to do the trick; that and being conscious of making better hook sets. :rolleyes: