Any Deer Success?

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by Aaron O'Leary, Oct 18, 2007.

1. Aaron O'Leary

Aaron O'Leary AO

Home Page:
    I am a born and bred westside blacktail hunter, so I headed from Ellensburg back to the farm at the bottom of the Vail Tree Farm for the opener. We saw a lot of does and all 6 of us in my party passed up spikes. I spooked a big buck off a nob, I was down wind of him and he snorted close to 100 times trying to catch my scent to figure out where I was. I zoned in on his location, but it was 100 yards in the middle of thick salmon berries. I couldn't move quiet enough to get close, then darkness set in.

Any recommendations for the Ellensburg area? I am new to the white tail and mule deer thing. I have been up in the Naneum area and spotted 4 elk. It was a good opertunity to try out my diaphram, I got a cow to call back. That was cool. Good luck guys.:beer2:

2. Josh Benjamin

Josh Benjamin Member

umtanum or wenas area, maybe clemans mt area should have deer.
    other side of the yakima river, cross the bridge at umptanum and start walking.

3. Itchy Dog

Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Media:
    Home Page:
    Fishing and Hunting News had a note that Yakima area deer had been hit hard by lice infestation
    and the resulting numbers were low. When I was in the Wenas for Elk muzzleloader, we saw 4
    deer the entire time. The group I was with has hunted this area for over 20 years and they ALWAYS
    see a lot of deer, and ore often than not take a 3 point or better. This year was a first.

Take that with a grain of salt, because another area relatively closeby might hold good numbers.

4. Aaron O'Leary

Aaron O'Leary AO

Home Page:
    Thanks guys. I'll report back if I knock one down. I am headed back to the westside for the weekend to hunt vail, but I'll be giving this area hell next week.

Oh, I saw a bobcat up Reecer Creek Wednesday and cougar tracks yesterday afternoon in the snow up Clockum.

5. Jon Borcherding

Jon Borcherding New Member

8:30 AM opening day. Public land. Colville Nat'l Forest

:cool:

JonB

6. Itchy Dog

Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Media:
    Home Page:
    Great buck, Jon B- nice tall horns.

7. 05tacoma

05tacoma Member

Four hunters, one whitetail, three mulies, including a big 4x4. One black bear, too. Waterville, Tonasket, and Sinlahekin areas.

Another great week of hunting!