Any Do-it-yourself-ers out there in the Honolulu/Waikiki area?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Jordan Simpson, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Jordan Simpson

Jordan Simpson Active Member

Media:
    PICS FINALLY! Any Do-it-yourself-ers out there in the Honolulu/Waikiki area?

After getting some good ideas from a bunch of people on here and some other sites, it was suggested I start a new thread that was more specific. So here it is!

I'm going to be with my family for a couple weeks in Waikiki and started researching fly fishing in Hawaii. As soon as I saw photos and stories of bones and trevally, my mind was made: I'm taking my 8wt.
    Now, I've been flyfishing since I was in grade 7 (I'm just 23 now). Ever since I got my first issue of Flyfisherman Magazine folded in my Christmas stocking I've always had my heart set on getting at least just one bonefish in my life.
    Where I come from, up here in BC, we fly fish still waters and rivers. Ever since reading my first article on bonefish when I was 12, I've made it a life goal to stand in tropical water and have a bonefish peel off backing.

Now's my chance.

So, on that note, are there any people on this Washington forum that have ever, or do frequently, walk around Honolulu, fly rod in hand?

I can't afford a guide, so I'm looking for any tips and hints on where I can walk or catch a bus to that I can wade (as much as sight-fishing is a dream, I don't mind blind-casting). I won't have a skiff. I won't have a guide.
    All I'm going to have is whatever info and help I can scourge up from different resources.

So, in advance, I thank anyone who can direct me to some local beaches or bays, or can suggest patterns/sizes, and tropics gear.

Thanks!

SrS

2. Big E

Big E Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    I think pretty much off Waikiki is all flats. There's also some over by Hickam and also Sand Island. Just go to Google Earth (satellite view) and zoom in on the coastline...you can see the flats quite easily.

I might be going soon and have been tying up charlies, gotchas, crabs, puffs, biters, etc. Tan, brown, and pink seem to be the predominate colors. Vary the eyes used to accomodate for different water depths and sink rates. Size 2 - 8.

Leaders are important as there's lots of coral. I haven't nailed down what is being used but its not regular stuff. Sunglasses are a must as is sun protection. Good wading shoes are as well.

3. Joe Smolt

Joe Smolt Member

Media:
    I will be doing Oahu for the first time this spring and hoping to try for bones. I don't recall where I read this, but I believe I read that you will be significantly handicapped without a boat. I also have heard that the bones are more scarce but bigger. I read that some of the best opportunities are near the airport.

I understand the dilemma of not affording a guide. I bet the learning curve will be extreme...spotting fish and proper presentation. Yet the essence of any hard core fisherman is optimism.

Shrimp patterns are suppose to be the key.

Joe

4. Jordan Simpson

Media:
    Yeah, the learning curve is going to be interesting without a guide. Since I don't want to try to fit my stripping basket in my suitcase or carry-on, I'm hoping to find a dollar store to find a cheap plastic bin I can punch some holes out of for drainage and I'll McGyver a belt onto it or something. As for leaders, I've read that I should take a tonne of material as the bones will make use of any piece of coral or anything to break you off. I'm going to tie up so flies as well, as check in to the fly shop there to see if they have any special patterns.

Also, does anyone know where or how I can contact Duff?

5. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
  6. Jmills81

Jmills81 The Dude Abides

Media:
  7. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    That page is one of my bookmarked favorites. I may never be able to get there, but if I do, I know who I'll be calling.

8. Woodman60

Woodman60 Member

Good luck searun. There's got to be somebody local in HI that will give you some help...but how to find them? When you figure it out, give us the benefit of your experience. Seeing one of those fish on Mumbles link on the flats would make the trip. Casting to it would be a bonus. Hooking it ...Landing it...

9. Jordan Simpson

Media:
    From what I've researched and read, it sounds like Sand Island might be a good bet to check out for a more 'local' spot that's not too far away from where I'll be staying. I sent Duff and email, been talking to the guys a bit over at Nervous Waters, and have spent countless hours on the internet looking up info. Hopefully I'll get my one bone!

I will keep a journal for while I'm there (date, tides, weather, patterns, location, etc) and will post on here when/if I can while I'm there. Whatever I learn or find out while I'm there, I'll post a full report for others who might want to head that way.

10. Mike

Mike Active Member

Media:
    Here a some Google images of places to fish on Oahu. Another option to check out is the Sand Island State Recreation area near the airport. Use Google maps to find it. Some folks sight fish, others blind cast in the troughs leading to the flats. Please take the time to post a report on your return.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mike

11. longstick

longstick Member

Sand Island fishes best with a foot tide or more. Not to say you can't find fish on there if the tides is less then a foot. If the tide is right the evening last hours are amazing to see the tails. Massive fish, lots of great memories. The Islands will diffently humble and fisherman. Monster fish

12. OceanSunfish

OceanSunfish Member

Sand Island..... Some use a simple kayak or some vessel to get there quick.... then walk around to fish....

13. Jordan Simpson

Media:
    @Longstick: The thought of seeing tailing bones at Sand Island makes me wanna be there right now! Since it sounds like you've been there, do you have any tips for that spot?

Also, got a hold of The Coach. He was very helpful and I will be checking in with Nervous Waters as soon as I get there. I'll try to take a tonne of photo's too, especially of the flies that they suggest so others can hopefully tie up or purchase similar ones before they head that way.

14. SilverHilton_PG

SilverHilton_PG New Member

Searun,

When are you heading out to Oahu? I'll be there from Feb21-Mar04 and will be looking to walk and wade as well (maybe get a guide).

15. Jordan Simpson

Media:
    @SilverHilton_PG: I'll be arriving there on Jan 16th and will be staying for two weeks. I've got in touch with The Coach (Duff) and he's been a great help. So have the guys at Nervous Waters.
    As for walking and wading, through research, I've heard that Sand Island Park, Ala Moana Park, and near the Hawaii Hilton village are 'decent' for some bones, but it will be more blind-casting than sight fishing there. I'm going at this sort of blind any how, so I would highly suggest a guide if you can afford one.

16. Jordan Simpson

Media:
    Got off the phone last night with The Coach (pretty sure that phone call cost quite a bit, considering where I'm calling from). He's been nothing but help and full of info on Hawaiian bones. As far as things are looking, these are not Bahaman or Florida bones. Well...duh!
    From the way he talked on the phone, all the info he shared, and from all the recommendations to get in touch with him, I would highly suggest to anyone who's going over to Hawaii to get in touch with him.

I've been googling images of bonefish all day and all I wan't to do is be there. NOW.

17. Jordan Simpson

Media:
    Took some time to walk around the Ala Wai Canal. Lots of small baracuda hanging in the shallow water and in amongst the trees. Tossed a small deceiver and got a few strikes but they would strike short and miss the hook. I also saw a small trevally. The water is a bit rough so I havent tried for bones yet.

18. Mike

Mike Active Member

Media:
    Just because you don’t see the bonefish doesn’t meant that they aren’t there, they are. Try some blind casting with a heavier fly like a size 4 or 2 Gotcha. Throw the fly into the channels and let it sink to the bottom and strip the fly slowly and easily so you don’t drag the fly off of the bottom. When the lines pulls tight, strip strike, don’t yank the rod up like you do in trout fishing.

19. Bob Neal

Bob Neal Member

I'll be in Kailua from March 9th to 17th and am planning to fish a little (between golf/family time, etc). Thanks for the helpful info so far.
    I've talked to Coach Duff on the phone and he is a great dude. I just got my tickets so I think I'll call him and book a trip. Those trips seem pricey but it sounds like they are very cool to see the island, learn about the fishing, and if you're lucky...catch a big ol' hawaiin bonefish.
    I'll post a report when I get back.
    Bob

20. Big E

Big E Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    MapleVallyBob,

We should meet up...I should be there during that time as well.

Simpson,

I kinda doubt you'll find bones in the canal...it wouldn't be my first choice....need to hit the flats