Any Do-it-yourself-ers out there in the Honolulu/Waikiki area?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Jordan Simpson, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Bob Neal

Bob Neal Member

That would be cool Big E. We are staying with friends in Kailua...not sure what the plans are specifically besides beach time & coctails so getting out to fish a little would be fun. I'm thinking my friend and I will spend a day on the water with a guide, beyond that I have no other plans. I have 5 & 7 wt single handers and a 7/8wt two hander. I'm thinking I'll bring the 7wt.

2. speyday

speyday Rod tubes in the overhead compartment

I lived there for awhile and killed them in Hanauma Bay. The fish weren't very spooky. Wierd. LOL.

The flats bones out there are fun; I was stationed there and finally got it dialed in as my enslistment was ending. Bummer!

3. Jordan Simpson

Jordan Simpson Active Member

Media:
    Went out today to fish for Baracuda out in some mangroves on streamers and poppers on the 5wt and while getting there we spooked around 10 bones. One word: monsters. If these things ate other fish, they would eat Bahaman bones for breakfast. Im planning on heading out within the next little while to some flats. Also ran into Coach Duff at a boat launch/ marina. Great guy and super nice. Sick skiff set up too from the looks of it.
    Checked out Nervous Waters flyshop the other day. Super cozy little shop with the largest collection of saltwater flies ever. They also had the new TFO BVK in there for a great price so if you dont have a bone rod you can get one here for a good price. Anyways, wish me luck!

4. Jordan Simpson

Media:
    Went out today to fish for Baracuda out in some mangroves on streamers and poppers on the 5wt and while getting there we spooked around 10 bones. One word: monsters. If these things ate other fish, they would eat Bahaman bones for breakfast. Im planning on heading out within the next little while to some flats. Also ran into Coach Duff at a boat launch/ marina. Great guy and super nice. Sick skiff set up too from the looks of it.
    Checked out Nervous Waters flyshop the other day. Super cozy little shop with the largest collection of saltwater flies ever. They also had the new TFO BVK in there for a great price so if you dont have a bone rod you can get one here for a good price. Anyways, wish me luck!

5. Mingo

Mingo the Menehune stole my beer

Media:
    :rofl::rofl:

I had about a 10 lb bonefish swim right up to my facemask and try to get me in a staredown last time I was there.......ahhh.....temptations temptations.....and at least 25 Japanese tourists standing on the coral, of course. Fun to bark at them and tell them they are facing a $10K fine in Japanese.....the looks were priceless......:rofl:

6. SilverHilton_PG

SilverHilton_PG New Member

Hey Searun,

How did your trip pan out? Did you catch any bones? I'm headed out in 3 weeks and I'm totally stoked! I'm tying up bitters, charlies, and gotchas. Any advice for fishing in Oahu?

Regards,

Robin

7. Jordan Simpson

Media:
    Hey, I actually just got home this morning at 6am! I'll tell you one thing, awesome! I managed to get two landed blindcasting, and had a bigger one on for sure, but these are smart fish here. They just runnnnnn...and then runnnnn, and then turn and charge right back at you. If you can't keep that slack up, they can find a way off.
    The one thing I noticed was the colour orange. I had all my hits and chances on orange. Also, if you are like me and have never caught a bonefish, don't be let down by how small it might be when you finally get it in after it fights above its weight class.
    I did get quite a few chances at sight fishing them, but omg, are they ever hard to spot. Honestly, don't look at pictures of the Bahamas and think you'll be able to spot them. They are not shadows over white sand. They are an off aqua green/blue/grey that swims over grey/blue/green bottoms, ha. I don't really play video games, but if you do, or if you've ever watched some sort of science fiction show/movie, and someone or something goes invisible, it has that wierd transparent sheen to it, but you can still sorta see something moving. Does that make any sense? I hope so, cause that's what it's like.
    The best, and well, only spots I fished for bones, was at Hawaii Kai, at Kawaikui Park, and at Hickam AFB. Don't expect to get on to Hickam unless you're Armed Forces. I was fortunate enough to meet a very nice and helpful person who took me there.
    When he picked me up he asked "Do you have ID?". Strange question I thought...until I found out where we were going! But once inside, the history, the aircraft, and all that abounds there was awesome. And the flats there were really cool. I saw these two dark shapes slowly bobbing slowly towards me. Once they got close enough, I could see they were huge green sea turtles. I stood stark still hoping to get them closer but they kept their distance. I couldn't have asked for a better place for me to get my first two, and well, only bones. But it was worth it. This was done blind casting there, but while standing and casting, I had more than enough bones swim right by me. You'll know it when you see one. Also, if you have one, or can borrow or use one, I highly suggest a switch rod with a shooting head. The winds can sometimes be a bit tough, and a single hand might be a bit difficult. It's doable for sure with a single, but the distance reached with a switch/shooter set up will help.
    But honestly, Kawaikui Park is a pretty good spot- if you face the water, you'll see a little broken wall to the left, all to the left of the wall, there are nice flats that are mostly comprised of coral shelves. Within these shelves are little pockets/holes of sand. Walk slowly/carefully and sneak up on a pocket/hole and try to spot one in there. Or, if you just stand still enough, they'll come to you- for real. I ran into E.T (Ed) who is the guide for Nervous Waters a couple times on the flats there and he gave me some pointers, and told me to be still. Honestly, in like, four minutes, four bones (all four in two sets of two separately), came cruising by within ten feet. They are there- you just need to be able to spot them.
    BUT if you find it hard, or the sun isn't right, walk diagonally out to the left of the little broken wall towards the deeper channel and blind cast, fanning your casts to cover water.
    Channels are key. Fish the high tide, as these bones are not naturally flats fish, like the Bahamas/Florida. These fish don't live on the flats like there. These fish are deep water fish who come up to the flats to feed. This translates into their strength, and their movement/location patterns. Fish the high tide trying to spot them, if you can't, walk out casting/stepping like you would if you were drift fishing for steelhead, and make your way out to the edge of the flat, or as far as you can wade (don't try to be a hero, wade within your limits) and cast into the channels. Play the wind too. Don't try to cast into the wind into a channel. Be smart- walk along the beach to the other side of the channel and then wade in so you're casting with the wind. By doing this, you will be intercepting the bones as they slowly move out with the tide. And yeah, the warmer the better- these fish get freaked out by cold fronts.

BUT I didn't just fish for bones! I went after Baracuda and Peacock bass! Unreal action from the Baracudas. I would highly suggest looking up hawaiibassfishing.com . I hooked up with the guys from there a few times and wen't after the many small baracuda that inhabit the mangroves, as well as the Ala Wai Canal. That's right, the Ala Wai. That place is loaded with juvenile papio and baracuda. The baracuda are found along both walls, and along the sandy areas sunning/drifting like sticks towards the MANY of tilapia. They are also found in and around any form of cover. All white flies tied with the head starting at th bend of long shank hooks, or standard hooks tied with a three inch wire leader will do the trick. They are NOT leader shy. Cast straight along a wall, or at the wall and just give'r back. Strip that fast, and then go faster. You'll know when you get one. Trust me- sudden strikes and splashing water are pretty obvious!
    The papio are in there, but are more spread out/sporadic. Don't target them specifically, but they are a nice by-catch. While moving between spots, I just trolled a small bucktail about fourty feet or so behind the boat while trolling to a different spot. Those small Papio, around 2-3lbs, will hit like a coho hitting a bucktail that's being "skip-flied" behind a boat. HARD. The guys at Nervous Waters will be able to set you up with hawaiibassfishing.com, or just check the site out yourself.
    It was also with these guys that I was able to get up to Lake Wilson, which is really just a damned up part of a small river. Here it is that you can sight cast to peacocks and red devils, as well as some bass. But keep an eye on the weather, these bass like it warm. They are are surface monsters that will attack. Also again, not leader shy.
    The peacocks like gold, so small-to-medium flash flies work well.

Hope that helps!

8. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Media:
  9. SilverHilton_PG

SilverHilton_PG New Member

Great update, Searun,

Sounds like you had a blast. I'm heading down there in 3 weeks and I'll be sure to use your tips.

Regards,

Robin

10. casaboba

casaboba Member

Nice report Searun. Thanks!

11. Ron Olsen

Ron Olsen Active Member

Searun

Great thread. I will be doing the wife in Hawaii thing April 21 to 28. She has tennis friends there, and I have a pass all day every day. Golf clubs and fly rod in hand. Will give Coach Duff a call. Since I am 61 and a conservative old fiscal bastard, the guide thing is now attractive. Great to see you work the problem from start to finish, and to succeed. Wish I was hiring now....

Ronbow

12. Jordan Simpson

Media:
    Here are some pics. I'll add them in as I figure out how to, and when I finally recieve them all. I know, it's been forever, but here they are. The Barracuda's were insanely fun on the 5wt, as they are all juvies and they are everywhere, and also they are redics aggressive. Definitely a fun target species for when the bones slow down.
    [​IMG]
    A small peacock bass. These guys are aggressive as well, and are definitely not leader shy. I think this was around a 5 or 6 foot leader and they still aren't spooked.
    [​IMG]
    Another one here on a small gold flash-fly: [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. wingblue

wingblue New Member

Hello,

Great report! Am I the only one to see red x's in the pics posted? Again, nice trip!