Any fryer recommendations?

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by IveofIone, Jun 4, 2011.

1. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

I am looking for a modestly sized deep fat fryer to do a few fillets and potatoes in, maybe some onion rings. It doesn't have to have a lot of capacity as I am the only one in the household that will eat fried food. Has anyone used any of these enough to give one of them a thumbs up? It does however, have to be more sophisticated than a Fry Daddy, I would like to have some control of the heat.

And is peanut oil the unanimous choice for frying? Any light you can shed on this will be appreciated. Hoping to have some fish and chips soon. Ive

2. Hi Ive,
    I'm also interested in some of the replies you may get. I've used a Fry Daddy for years with good results but want one with a lid and temp. control. Checking on the Wally World site it looks like the white Presto Cool Daddy for $42. 6 cup is pretty good. By far the best reviews, however always a few that find fault. As far as oil forget about peanut oil, use Canola. It doesn't smoke or soak in to the food like wesson or other vegetable oils. After use I pour into a jar and refrigerate, cracklings etc. sink to the bottom and I reuse quite a few times, adding a little new oil as needed. I've got a great batter for walleye, stays light color w/o turning greasey looking like some deep fried fish, would work great on your crappies.

3. FlyGirlMonroe

FlyGirlMonroe New Member

Hello Ive,

We've got a T-Fal MaxiFry. It's lightweight and works great, even after several years!

4. FLGator

FLGator Member

Ive,
    I'd recommend you stick with a good quality dutch oven, thermometer and frying basket. However, if you really want a deep fryer for home go with the Waring Pro Digital Electric.

5. Dan Nelson

Dan Nelson Hiker, Fisher, Writer, Bum

Professional tests on America's Test Kitchen (PBS) agree with you. They tested 6 currently available models, running from $50 to $140:

http://www.americastestkitchen.com/video/index.php?docid=25372&extcode=M**ASCA00

6. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

I'm with Flgator. Use a dutch oven (aka bean pot not the camp oven) with a thermometer and either a basket or a metal scoop. Will last longer then any electronic one (I have one from 1963 that's still going strong).

I had a T Fal one for awhile. Wasn't bad but loved my cast iron pot better.

Peanut oil is prefered but I use canola oil mostly.

7. Stewart

Stewart Skunk Happens

Me sharing cooking information is more laughable than me sharing fishing information, but... I'll keep this story short. Recently I have done some fried chicken and tempura in a deep cast iron skillet, and I wonder why there is anything else. The chicken and the tempura were great. I don't presently own a dutch oven, but there is one in my future.

8. Jerry Daschofsky

Stewart I use a cast iron dutch oven for deep frying (french fries, onion rings, etc) but for frying I use a standard cast iron skillet. Tried a steel skillet years ago and didn't like the outcome so went back to the cast iron. In fact had fried chicken last night. Mmmmmmmm.

9. Be Jofus G

Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

I have a newer Waring Pro. It sucks. Wayyyyyy too shallow, can't use solids in it, and it doesn't hold it's temp for shit. My 35 dollar hamiton beach stainless fryer worked better than that POS. A good quality dutch oven is the way to go, hands down.

10. Jerry Daschofsky

Yeah, I had the electric deep fryers for a short time while my kids were little. Cool to the touch outside in case they reached to the counter/stove while I was cooking. Always hated it, and just opted to not use it.