Any info for steelies on the quillayute system?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by fly15, Dec 8, 2001.

1. fly15 New Member

Ratings: +0 / 0
    I am going to go up there for the first time later this month
    weather permiting , after my first winter run steelie.What flies should i use , i tie so any formulas would be great.How heavy of a leader should i use.Please let me know how you have done in the past on the quillayute system.THANKS.:??
  2. fly15 New Member

I guess know one ever fly fishes the sol duc, calawah ,hoh or
    bogachiel rivers for steelhead.Thats to bad because the guy my dad knows is a partime guide and fishes up there a lot and he is going to take my dad and I for a float in his drift
    boat on the bogachiel river in a week.He almost always does really well up there , he chucks gear but i am going to fly fish.
    :CONFUSED
  3. ray helaers New Member

Any of the three major tribs (Sol Duc, Bogacheil, Calawa) offer great fishing. This time of year, the Bogey below the Calawa probably offers the best shot at hatchery fish, but there's probably fish in all three (and in the Bogey above the hatchery? anybody?). The Bogey and the Calawa are probably the easiest to fish for someone who doesn't know the rivers very well. (The Calawa drops and clears first after rain.)

I know the Bogey best, but have fished it mostly above the hatchery later in the season for natives, so I'm not that up on access (there are several good access points above the hatchery, including excellent fly water directly below the 101 bridge). If you're in a boat, you can float from the hatchery to the confluence of the Bogey and the Sol Duc.

All three tribs are loaded with great fly water. Flies will be the same as around here. Go with medium to biggish marabous or General Practitioners in purple, black, blue, orange, claret, or combinations thereof. 10'-20' sinktips and 4'-6' leaders tapered to 2x.

Have fun. I'm jealous; You're going to steelhead ground zero.