Any insights into my frustration?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by atdwash, Jan 14, 2009.

1. atdwash

atdwash New Member

Much better today. I think going smaller and more sparse certainly helped, but my guess is the banner day I had was more a function of fishing beaches far from the ones that have been getting pounded lately.

I had to do quite a bit of searching before I found my first pod of fish, but from then through the rest of the afternoon that beach kept me busy. I'm guessing somewhere between 20 and 25 to hand. At one point I had 5 hookups on 5 casts. The fish were far more aggressive than what I have experienced around the narrows lately, and as I mentioned at the beginning of this post they once again nailed just about any cast that was within range of a jumper. I guess I have to conclude that just like trout in a good stretch of a popular river, these guys too can get wary and worn out by heavy pressure--I would not have thought it possible in a body of water as vast as the sound. I should have taken the hot fly to the narrows to test my theory, but I couldn't tear myself away.

When I was in the middle of a frenzy I did stop and put on a popper (couldn't help myself). I had a few looks, but no takes. If they would have jumped on that it could have been my best day ever, but I suppose I can't complain.

Thanks to all who gave some input, and to those of you who are shore-bound; I can assure you that a 60ft cast from the beach could have been well in range of every fish that I caught today.

Good luck to all and I will try to post a little earlier next time I have an opening in the boat.

Attached Files:

2. Tom Johnston

Tom Johnston Been around a while

Nice work. I am going to take somethings that I did not know from this thread and apply them to the next batch of flies I tie! Small and sparse is the name of the game right now.

3. dougiefresh

dougiefresh New Member

I have been doing very well off a seattle beach for the last three weeks. Three weeks ago they would eat almost anything I tied on. Two weeks ago, they stopped taking poppers and clousers/baitfish imittations and only hit shrimpy looking patterns. This last week I have had to lengthen my leader and fish the smallest flies I have (a size 8 gotcha, of all things, has been killing them this week). bonked one this morning. only thing in its belly was a half digested baitfish, about 3 inches long. :) go figure, those bonefish flies I tied 4 years ago for a failed trip are finaly starting to come in handy!

4. SciGuy

SciGuy Active Member

Change of feed or not, they are still taking Clousers over here on the West side. The go to fly the past week has been a sparse size 8 olive over white, both Slinky Fibre, with a single pink hootchie tentacle as the lateral line. I've been using a floating line because that is all I have for the 6 wt but I'm guessing it would help to get it down a bit deeper with a intermediate. I've also been throwing small popper and floating tubes but they haven't been getting nearly as many strikes as the Clousers.

5. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

I made it down to a point on the South Sound on Thursday. I thought I would give it a try, since I hang around up at my end too much. I fished from 1:30 to 3:30. Tide was low at 3:30 I believe. It was hot fishing for those two hours for me. I landed 12 coho, lost a number of others, had other missed hits, and landed one nice cutt. On my size #6 Popsicle Stick. Not a sole around. Good times. No fish were showing on the surface except two! I might have to invade you peoples territory more often! I may try up North Saturday (today).

6. Big E

Big E Moderator Staff Member

Do you think something like this would do the trick? #14 if I remember correctly.

Attached Files:

7. Jim Speaker

Jim Speaker Active Member

Here's a couple scuds I tied up based on Herl's photos of amphipods from a rezzie belly. I'm sure the white works just great if the fish aren't too edumacated.

Attached Files:

8. Preston

Preston Active Member

Jim,
    Herl's bugs appear to be amphipods. There are quite a few species, most are rather small and they vary in color from olive to purple and even orange. Most of those I've seen in the Sound seem to be orange and I tie my imitations on a size 16 scud hook. Big_E's pattern appears to be a euphausiid (krill) imitation. Krill are larger, more shrimplike in appearance and tend to be a translucent white or sometimes a very pale orange or pink with very prominent dark eyes. I tie my krill pattern on a size 12 straight-shank hook because, although krill can sometimes adopt the shrimp/crayfish technique of swimming backward with a snap of the tail, they usually swim about using their legs while holding their bodies straight.

9. Jim Speaker

Ah, I thought krill was a general term that covered amphipods, euphasids, and all the "little shrimpy critters" out there. Thanks much for straightening me out, Preston, 'preciate it. I'll have to search around for some euphasid photos so I can do my rendition of that critter as well.

So, here's a question for ya Preston. When the sound is calm I sometimes observe fish nosing the surface, or shoulder-tail rises. I get that they are feeding just under the surface. Question is this: do both amphipods and euphasids run just below the surface film, or do they behave differently enough that there is a notable difference in feeding behavior that can be observed by riseform (or lack thereof)?

Thanks again for the clarification. I'm such a noob to the salt, trying to "take it all in" right now.

10. Preston

Preston Active Member

11. Jim Speaker

Hrm... :hmmm:

Attached Files:

12. Preston

Preston Active Member

Woops (2)

13. Jim Speaker

Thanks again Preston! :beer2:

14. Preston

Preston Active Member

Boy, I sure seem to be having problems today getting the things that I want to download to do so.

I'd try them both. I suspect that when you see that kind of activity it's probably amphipods. Just a guess, but I think that euphausiids tend to be better swimmers than amphipods and are more comfortable at greater depths. Most of the amphipods I've seen have been only a few inches benath the surface. I do love it when you can see the resident coho rolling and finning, taking euphausiids/amphipods just under the surface like trout taking emergers. Once I even hooked a good sized blackmouth and was so surprised that I really whacked him, with the to-be-expected immediate breakoff.

15. Jim Speaker

Cool, thanks. Wasn't sure if it was just as likely to be one or the other.

Agreed. It's really exciting and cool to see their noses pop up like that. :) The other day I was fishing a brackish outflow to some risers (not happy jumpers) but I'd just get em to whack my shock n awe, didn't even try to match the hatch which feels like chucking a #2 Bunny Leech into a Callibaetis hatch to me, kinda dirty but awesome when they're opportunistic.

Next time I fish that spot at that tide I'm taking my 5 wt along with me to throw gurglers and poppers quartering that flow, which is just like perfect mousing flow so I figure it will be great for noisy surface flies.

16. quadradomus

quadradomus Member

Geez, this adtwash guy is only conversing on people's recent experience on the beach.
    Then he even offers up his time and boat for anyone who wants to get out. I know that I only have a couple dozen posts, so that makes me a nobody here, but seriously folks.... this is the reason I never post here. Yes there are some great people on here, but I generally find this board very unwelcoming unless you've cracked through the regulars.

sorry I had to say that, Tight lines,

17. Jim Speaker

Yeah, Quad, looks like that already got worked out. It happens man. A lot of people have put in a ton of time, effort and thought to figure this stuff out. Sometimes it just flares up slightly. IMO there is a happy medium, people (esp. low post count) get just enough shit to realize they should do a little searching first, learn something, and the posts become more fruitful through the information sharing that occurs. Did you read the thread all the way thru or post when you saw that one? Just curious, I've made that mistake before...

18. quadradomus

quadradomus Member

My apologies,, I realize now that I was reading the first of three pages on the thread. I am glad that people worked things out. I just like to see a supportive atmosphere.
    (Now if someone jumps on.. and asks for everyone's honey hole,, that's a different story):)

19. atdwash

atdwash New Member

Hey Quad,

Thanks for the input. I was actually quite surprised by the lack of "figure it out yourself" attitude that my post received. I have seen a lot of that on here, and would not have been surprised to see it on my post. But I also suspected that there were plenty of guys on here that probably have had close to the same experience and would not have any trouble sharing some of their thoughts and ideas.

Don't let the thought of being shot down keep you from joining in here. IMHO this is simply a forum for people to read about and share their opinions on a thing that they love. And if you experience any pomposity (not that I have seen that on this post), let it roll off. Just because one guy has more posts than another, that does not make his opinion more valid.

Hear my call: NEWBIES UNITE!

20. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

pomposic quadrophenic, man

it's the pompatus of love a la Steve Miller

keep reading, SEARCH, fish, post....share.