Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Any insights into my frustration?

6K views 60 replies 25 participants last post by  Big E 
#1 ·
A month ago I could throw just about anything within 20 feet of a jumping resident and I would get a strike. Not on just one outing, but consistently. All I needed to do was find some working fish and I could get into them.

The last two outings I have again found fish, I have cast everything in my box in and around them, I continue to get many follows, but the strikes have fallen off the table. Yesterday in 3.5 hours of fishing (in and near active pods of fish) I only brought 5 fish to hand.

Was I just spoiled last month or am I losing my mojo? Like I said, I have tried several patterns (just plain forget about poppers--they won't even look at them), and I have also been varying my retrieves.

Any insights would be appreciated.

#60 ·
Thanks for the compliments...I'm not overly pleased with it as I think it can be improved on with a bit more vice time. It was late at night and I had an idea for the tail and basically wanted to see it it would work. I've got some more ideas about doing a better body but haven't gotten around to tying it yet.

The recipe is:

Tail is larva lace furled. Body is scud back with a creme and light red dubbing. Couple plastic bead chain eyes and some pearl flash.

Wasn't sure about hook size for these since I have never seen one. This is tied on a 14...what size do you guys reccommend?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.