Any insights into my frustration?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by atdwash, Jan 14, 2009.

1. DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

Marine Area 9
    Ratings: +258 / 0
    This board has been really mellow lately by historical standards, especially now that everyone with a pulse is catching resident silvers. Just wait until the week before the July 16th north sound salmon opener, that's when the gloves come off and the anxieties are vented all at once (too funny).
    I think it's great that so many new folks are getting started with Puget Sound saltwater fishing. This site has had some great discussions about tactics, flies, etc. and I'm sure it's helped a lot of folks get started. Tommorrow I'm going to hit the beach and try out some new amphipod patterns I just tied up (based on this thread), and hopefully I'll find a pod or two of silvers.
    By the way, make sure to bonk a rezzie for dinner each time you fish (they are almost entirely hatchery fish). It will help to improve the average size when summer rolls around, and they taste very good.
  2. DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

Marine Area 9
    Ratings: +258 / 0

Your post reminded me of when Mumbles first began to grace this website. It was rough for him the first 500 posts, but he became family by post # 1,000. ;)
  3. Big E Moderator

Coon Bay
    Ratings: +351 / 0
    Yeah but 500 posts for Mumbles was like what, four days?? :rofl:
  4. rotato Active Member

home,wa
    Ratings: +48 / 0
    this new (for me) euphosid pattern got crushed on a slow drift by a reluctant coho
    maybe 1 foot of water
    the foam "tail" allows for some cool action

can you buy translucent foam?
    this would be cool in a clearish profile
  5. rotato Active Member

home,wa
    here it is

Attached Files:

6. Ringlee Doesn't care how you fish Moderator

Somewhere you don't know about, WA
    Ratings: +53 / 1
    That fly is sick! Do you have a recipe? I will post my little guy when I can take a picture.
  7. Jim Speaker Active Member

Mill Creek, WA
    Ratings: +424 / 0
    Looks like foam, mono and pearl estaz to me. That fly is awesome I gotta try that out. Thanks.
  8. Big E Moderator

Coon Bay
    Whereabouts in the water column does this fish with that foam? If near the surface, I bet it would be a good night pattern.
  9. Ringlee Doesn't care how you fish Moderator

Somewhere you don't know about, WA
    Ratings: +53 / 1
    I would bet near the surface, right where it needs to be.
  10. rotato Active Member

home,wa
    black mono eyes
    light pink cactus chenille trimmed sides
    pearl backed 1/8 foam first tied on a hook shank and transfered on to the fly
    it floats in the sink but travels under the surface with a ten foot leader

we had euphausids in thick last year about mid feb
    thanks to Les's pacific salmon 2 for the pick of the critter
  11. rotato Active Member

home,wa
    has anyone seen this fly before?
    do i get to claim it for my own?
    still looking for translucent foam

if i use this pattern for night fishing does it need too bee glow in the dark?
  12. Banzai FFing and VWs...Bugs & Bugs

Bremerton, WA
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    I can't vouch for the efficacy of glow in the dark materials as the usually wind up tangled around something or myself before the make it to the water. As you may surmise, I don't cast well when i cannot see the line. However, on the rare occaision the fly does find the water cleanly, my catch rate did not improve. This is more likely due to my ability and location rather than the GITD nature of the fly, as I have seen one work quite well during the night.
  13. Jim Speaker Active Member

Mill Creek, WA
    Ratings: +424 / 0
    Glow in the dark seems nifty, and I bet a few people swear by it (I even have a couple in my box with some glow strands in it...) I doubt it makes much difference though, considering how many trout I've caught in the dead of night with a #2 black bunny leech. I believe a nice dark profile is the key to allowing fish to see it at night, so it's stark against the lighter background of the sky.
  14. Don Freeman Freeman

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +177 / 0
    There's a lot more bio luminescence in the ocean than in freshwater and fish do key in on it. That's probably why all Saltwater Krystal Flash is GITD, and the fibers are stiff enough to prevent the tangles. I use at least a few fibers in nearly everything I tie for the salt. It defines a lateral line, makes good antennae and gills, and comes in a number of colors. Pearl is the most versatile.

I can't prove it makes for more hook ups, but I believe it does, and it sure doesn't scare 'em off.
  15. rotato Active Member

home,wa
    "belief" is everything baby

testing some variations of the south sound euphie this weekend
    will try a glow pattern @night

now i want a gitd fly line so i can see what the hell im doing
    i need a new ear ring anyway

dead calm out there right now
    see you all on the water
  16. Big E Moderator

Coon Bay
    IMO glow in the dark does make a difference. Can't speak for salt water fly fishing but my days on the hardwater with glo jigs and a strobe light to charge them attracted many more fish. It would be interesting to sit and watch the perch come in to the glo jig and pass right by the same type of jig that wasn't a glow in the dark or charged.

Its pretty much proven that salmonids key in on UV and glow in the dark is right down that alley.
  17. Big E Moderator

Coon Bay
    I had a bit of a think about it and found this pic:

[IMG]

and came up with this:

Attached Files:

18. Jeff Member

Fairbanks, AK
    Ratings: +14 / 0
    That looks great Big E!
  19. rotato Active Member

home,wa
    sheesh that looks sweeet
    whats the body material if i may ask?
  20. Big E Moderator

Coon Bay
    Thanks for the compliments...I'm not overly pleased with it as I think it can be improved on with a bit more vice time. It was late at night and I had an idea for the tail and basically wanted to see it it would work. I've got some more ideas about doing a better body but haven't gotten around to tying it yet.

The recipe is:

Tail is larva lace furled. Body is scud back with a creme and light red dubbing. Couple plastic bead chain eyes and some pearl flash.

Wasn't sure about hook size for these since I have never seen one. This is tied on a 14...what size do you guys reccommend?