Any Kitsap Beach Reports?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Stonefish, Aug 12, 2005.

1. Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,264 / 1
    Things have been pretty slow on the Seattle side of area 10. I'm thinking of heading west to try some of the better know Kitsap Peninsula beaches.
    Is any one having any luck over that way? PM me if you'd like.
    Thanks,
    Brian
  2. D3Smartie Active Member

WA
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    there are a few fish being caught... good tides this next week

had a great time fishing sliders/poppers for cuts yesterday on the canal although we only landed between 8 and 10.
  3. Nick Andrews New Member

Bremerton, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Nothing really happening over on this side of the water. Been on the slow side as well. Only a couple of fish to hand.
  4. Nick Andrews New Member

Bremerton, WA, USA.
    super slow. I was thinking about going over to your side. Damn no rain.
  5. Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Olympic Peninsula
    Ratings: +715 / 0
    David: "we only landed between 8 and 10"...

What is "only" about that day? I dont get it... :confused:

How many would be enough?
  6. Luke Filmer Member

Fished the Gig harbor beaches yesterday.
    We fished for about 4 hours on 3 different beaches with no luck.
    Out going tide may have had something to do with it.

As the tide changed, and started moving back in I hooked an 18" SRC.
    Thought it was a coho till we saw the spots. Great fun on a 7wt with a green clauser. -Very heavy fish!

Fished the same beach this a.m. on an incoming tide and hooked 6 SRC in 3 hours.
    Most in the 10 to 12" range with one at 17". A real acrobat! He spit the hook before I could get him very close.
    I saw a zillion herring boiling all over the place, and thought there was something big moving them up, but a guy in a kayak took a look for me, and said he did not see anything big in there.
    Just a fluke I guess?
    Definately helped with the cutthroat fishing.
    I have not hooked into a res. coho for a month so they may have moved on.
    Looking forward to kings any day now.
  7. JWKitsap Member

Bremerton, WA
    Only 8-10??? That's 3/4 of my best day ever!! If you're out "only" getting 8-10, then I've got room on my boat for you if you ever feel like sharing a secret or two out on the canal. I've not got a lot of boat time out on the canal and judging from the size of it wouldnt I mind making that learning curve a bit less steep.....

Doesnt skunk come out with tomato juice????

Jason
  8. RedFive Member

Initech
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    Nice work out in the salt, D3. Don't feel bad about people reading into things, I didn't read your post that way and besides, it's your prerogative to set your own standards. :thumb:

I "only" landed 4 pinks this morning and 3 yesterday, does that mean I have an inferior mindset, too? :rolleyes:

Triggs: "How many would be enough?"

Sorry, but for me, there's no such thing as "enough," that's why I fish as often as I can--it's called being passionate about something and yes, numbers do get involved in the zealotry at times but they're not the driving force.
  9. salt dog card shark

Edmonds WA / Mazama
    I read the reference to 8-10 SRC, noting the "we.." in the sentence, and understood it to mean possibly 2-4 fish per person between 2 or 3 fisherfolk, still not a bad day depending how long you were at it. Especially when I view it with the number of times I've been skunked targeting Coastal cutthroat. Ya, 8 is my best day ever for SeaRuns.

But I get Bob Triggs' point: SeaRun Cutthroat fishing is not about numbers. Wild andronamous cutthroat are a pretty unique species, and they shouldn't be taken for granted. We are very fortunate to have the fishery, and have it coming back without major hatchery supplementation, just a simple change to catch and release and the little buggers are on the come back. Not about size either, but about the size of the fight in the fish; as referenced in Les John's book 'Fly Fishing Coastal Cutthroat Trout', if SeaRuns were the size of steelhead we would never land them on a fly rod. :eek: Probably the single factor that has allowed them to survive the drastic changes made in their habitat by humans is that they are not pursued as much as Salmon and Steelhead 'cause they're overlooked by most that only value "large" fish.

Give me one feisty Searun Cutthroat in a morning's fishing, and I walk to my car whistling a happy tune. :thumb:
  10. Roger Stephens Active Member

Ratings: +329 / 0
    I keep count of how many fish that I catch on each outing but it is only for my benefit. I keep a detailed fishing journal with information about numbers of fish seen(none, few, or lots) at each location fished and how many fish and size were landed there. I use that information along with tide(flood vs. ebb and stage) and time of year to help determine hot spots(if that is possible) for SRC.

In a day of fishing from my boat I will usually fish from 6 to 12 spots depending if I am striking out or finding fish. Over time I have been able to somewhat establish some SRC spots that are usually consistently good depending on the tide and time of year. There is one spot that almost always bails me out on the last 2 hours of the flood tide if the fishing has been poor at other locations. It is like having Edgar Martinez coming up in the ninth inning of a home game with the Mariners needing 1 run to win it!

So keeping count of fish landed can be beneficial over the long term if you take the time to keep a fairly detailed fishing journal.

Roger
  11. salt dog card shark

Edmonds WA / Mazama
    Roger, I can vouch that your fishing journal, and the conclusions you've drawn from your notes and, on occasion, shared with those on this site, have helped make me a better fisherman; I am greatly appreciative to you for passing on that knowledge.

Question for you if I could digress on this thread: I have started tracking impact of wind on fishing, and am starting to see some correlations between the wind DIRECTION and the fishing on certain beaches. Have you noted any correlations like that?
  12. Roger Stephens Active Member

Ratings: +329 / 0
    Jim:

Cannot help you out on correlation of wind direction and fishing success at fishing locations. Let us know if you are seeing some correlation.

It is fun to see if you can determine any patterns/trends or correlations when fly fishing on the Sound. Once in a while you get lucky and gain some hard earned knowledge.

All I know about wind is that: (1) there can be nothing more frustrating than getting wrong shouldered while casting in + 10 mph wind, (2) it is pretty futile to fish a surface popper pattern under those conditions as there is already so much surface distrubance and it is difficult to see the fly pattern.

Roger
  13. salt dog card shark

Edmonds WA / Mazama
    Thanks for your reply Roger; stare at the water long enough and you can see lots of things. LOL. Trick is to find causal connections in your observations.

Well, if I'm going to stand in the water with a stick in my hand early tomorrow morning, I best check the wind one more time and call it a night. Thanks again.
  14. Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Olympic Peninsula
    Ratings: +715 / 0
    Salt Dog; there was an old saw about winds and fishing back east, on the Atlantic Coast, that dates back to the ancient mariners of the earliest century in America:

"When the wind is from the north the fisherman should not go forth.
    When the wind is from the east the fishing will always be the least.
    When the wind is from the south it blows the bait in the fishes mouth.
    When the wind is from the west the fishing will always be the best."

(But the wind is usually quartering into my backcast no matter what compass direction it is comes from!)