Any lakes on the thaw????

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by steeli, Dec 15, 2009.

1. steeli

steeli Member

Media:
    The water in the bird bath is melting, so how about lakes near you? Dated pictures would be interesting...
    Sorry our Easterly WA friends (probably another month or two), but looking for any lakes you've seen this week that aren't crystal. Friends near Pass, Lone, Cranberry, Beaver or any other lake to dust off the cabin fever? From past experiences, it's not fun driving miles to stare at thrown rocks sitting on top the lake ice...:beathead:
    I'd like to get out and whip a few bugs around this weekend....:thumb:

2. Tim Lockhart

Tim Lockhart Working late at The Office

Media:
    Good question about now. I took a look at Martha AM today and it's completely thawed (seasonal lake but it's the closest sample I could get). And nice to see they're keeping the gate closed given the history we've had with kids. Smaller ponds are still frozen over but not by much...did some off-season scouting/routefinding on some new prospects today and saw 3 that are all under melting ice (low elevation). Guessing Lone/Pass are either newly thawed or damn close. Given these conditions I'd say there's a number of fish to be taken, just not the frenzy we saw during Thanksgiving. One way to find out...

3. Zack Dudley

Zack Dudley Take em'

most lakes on the west sides are de-icing but this weekend my aunts lake had ice that was thick enough to walk on!

4. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    This warming trend is just that a trend. If history serves me right. You should all be living in a deep freeze about the first of the year. It has been that way for many years when I lived there, in Western Washington. Temps in the single digits.

5. Tim Lockhart

Tim Lockhart Working late at The Office

Media:
    Saw it mentioned Lone is ice-free (thx Islander). Same with Pass...40 at surface and acting like it, but fish can be caught. Low & slow much of the day but don't dismiss that top layer completely. They'll come up. Just a matter of when in the day. Best is keep checking back via blind search...one strike up high and work the hell out of it. Worth looking for since finding it once can produce more than the rest of your outing in these conditions. Main thing, lower the expectations and plan on spending some time...those fish for 2-3 hrs, get nothing but cold feet and pack it in days are here. There's action but you have to want them now.

6. Trevor Thorp

Trevor Thorp Happy to be home in the NW

Media:
    Beaver is most likely still frozen. The ponds at my work on the plateau are still a couple of inches thick. The ponds look thawed, but when you toss a large rock or golf ball on them they bounce. An employee threw a rock today and when it hit the water/ice it broke in half. Before the thaw the ice was 5-6 inches thick. It is going to be a few more days up this way.

7. steeli

steeli Member

Media:
    With the warmer temps I hit Pass Lake a couple days ago; no sign of any ice.
    Fished through the midday a few hours and netted a couple pretty nice bows...slow, slow near the bottom.
    If you don't pickup weeds or the occassional log, you're not deep enough.