Any Ling Cod guys out there?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Kevin Giusti, Mar 13, 2007.

1. PT

PT Physhicist

What's the preferred eating size ling? I've heard the big one's are usually the females and should be released. But, if you were to just judge based on taste what would be an ideal size to keep?

2. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

PT -
    When I take a fish for the table I like to keep a fish in the 30 to 32 inch range.

The fastest growing fish are females as a result nearly all the fish over the 40 inch max. here in the sound are females. With a little partice one can sex the fish based on the shape of their vent - with the female's being rounder.

Don't know if you know much about the ling cod reproduction. They are late winter/early spring spawners (the reason the season doesn't open here until May 1) and the female lays an egg mass on rock ledges, etc and the smaller male guards the mass until they hatch. There are indications that larger males are more successful in performing that guard duty. I would love to see the minimum size limit in the Sound (currently a 26 to 40 slot) be raised to 28 inch. It would protect those males for an additional year. Such a rule could provide additional protection to the spawning population (with the increasing interest in this fishery that may be needed) but would also increase the CnR potential.

Tight lines
    Curt

3. Kevin Giusti

Kevin Giusti New Member

The ones with the GREEN MEAT!!!!! YUMMY!!

4. Kevin Giusti

Kevin Giusti New Member

Curt just saw your post. good info. A couple of years ago they shortened the ling seasons in my area. The limit before the changes was 2 at 26. When they made the changes they also put the limit at 1 at 30 inches. Now that was fine with me. Ling cod are probably one of my favorite eating fishes. They left the limits at the 1 at 30 for a couple of years but now have gone BACK to 2 @ 26. There does seem to be more lings around now even though it doesnt seem like a two year restriction would meen much. I really wish they would have kept the limit at the 1@30 or even 1 @ 26. 2 just seems a bit much if you cant eat it all let it go and dont freeze it. There is no upper size limit which I think would also be good. I just wish they would look ahead to the future and do what was best NOW so we can have a future fishery in the years to come. It seems in California its more the right now with certain species instead of later. Instead of setting limits that will sustain a population they just all of a sudden one day go "WHOA sorry you cant fish for those anymore!" Just ask commercial salmon fishers about how they were treated last year and you will see what I mean. Anyway Was just going to look for this thread to recheck on some info and hey there it was! Got a 12wt. build kit on order, some big ol flies and some t14 ready to fly or should I say sink? I think your season opened up north anyone having any luck? Kevin

5. PT

PT Physhicist

Thanks.:thumb:

6. 100daysayear

100daysayear One more victim of the never ending journey.

I've had great success in Marine area 7 pulling lings in the 20-25# class. I've found that the faster you retrieve your fly the less opportunity there is for rockfish to get on it. So no Budweiser mid haul. Also, for anyone headed that way, surf shad seem to be the most choice offering.

Final suggestion for avoiding rockfish: catch one and leave it on your line...;) ;)

I'm heading up to Vancouver Island this weekend to bash something big for the freezer. Hopefully I'll have a chance to try everyone's suggestions.

RJ

7. johnmetcalfe

johnmetcalfe New Member

Hey
    If you are in Puget Sound where do you want to go for Ling? Water Depth and that kind of thing?
    I hear the man made reef in Des Moines has some nice lings, any one here caught one there?
    Thanks
    Jm

8. Wayne Jordan

Wayne Jordan Active Member

Media:
    Thanks for all the great information on this thread. I'm heading out to the Strait on Friday and plan on fishing for lings and rockfish out of my sit-on-top kayak. I'll let you know how I do!