Any love for the Redington Pursuit?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by IveofIone, May 24, 2013.

1. IveofIone Active Member

Ratings: +1,068 / 0
    I have been cleaning out the closet lately and getting rid of several rods. A couple of new ones have arrived as well but now I am down to a single 5wt and want to buy a modestly priced backup that cast well. Boot has recommended the Pursuit series of rods and the reports I read on them are generally glowing indeed. They make an 8'6'' 5wt in a two piece model that sells for just $99. I prefer 2 pc over 4 pc but they are getting hard to find.

Is anyone else fishing this rod or have first hand experience with it?

Ive
  2. triploidjunkie Active Member

Grand Coulee, WA
    Ratings: +1,264 / 0
    That's enlightened's go to rod. I've bought her more expensive rods, but she preferred the pursuit. It is her favorite. I've fished it and find it one of the more versatile six weights I've used.
  3. Seth Tyson Active Member

Spokane
    Ratings: +75 / 0
    I preferred the Voyant, But the Pursuit is a nice rod for the money as well.
  4. jessejames Flyslinger

Show Low, Arizona
    Ratings: +345 / 3
    I found the 8'6" 5wt a little fast for me. I could cast it well but, for me, it needed to be lined up a bit so I could get the feel I wanted.
    I think it would be a good lake rod and certsainly could fill the back-up role well.
    jesse
  5. IveofIone Active Member

Ratings: +1,068 / 0
    Jesse, thanks for that input. It would probably be too fast for me then and I sure don't want to have to line it up. Something a little slower perhaps-how about a St Croix Rio Santo in the same price range? I have liked the St Croix rods I have cast as they pretty well suit my style.

Ive
  6. triploidjunkie Active Member

Grand Coulee, WA
    Ratings: +1,264 / 0
    I have a Rio santo. Real soft rod. My five weight Rio feels alot like my five weight glass, probably more like a four or even three weight.
  7. Dan Nelson Hiker, Fisher, Writer, Bum

Puyallup, WA
    Ratings: +333 / 5
    I've been lucky enough to use every model of the current Redington line in 4- and 5-wt 9' versions.

The Pursuit is a nice low-price-point fast action. IT is the smoothest casting sub-$100 rod I've used in decades. That said, the Voyant has a significantly smoother casting action in my opinion (as you might expect given it's price - about twice that of the Pursuit).

If you like dry fly action, though, I'd go with the moderate-action Tempt -- a nice next generation update of the Classic Trout series. But I'd certainly think the Pursuit would be great lake rod.

For what its worth, I currently have the 6-piece Tempt 5-wt as my primary backpacking rod, and a Link 4-wt as my "do-it-all" 4-wt. (My regular river trout rod is either an Orvis Helio 2 5-wt -- if most of the action is on top or small dry/dropper setups -- or my Sage ONE 5-wt if I think I'll be throwing big weighted nymphs or big hopper-dropper rigs).