Any news on Merril

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by rt, Jul 23, 2008.

1. rt Washougalite

Washougal, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Hoping to hit the hex hatch tomorrow night. Anybody have any news?
  2. Flyborg Active Member

Kalama, WA
    Ratings: +597 / 0
    It was definitely on last Friday.
  3. twinlakesleach MurkyLurker

Chehalis, Washington
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Yes it is on now. Was down on the 4th of July and it was a little early. Did manage to stick a 5lb fish only to have it taken by the Bald Eagle just as i was getting ready to land the fish. It was UNBELIEVABLE!!! Keep an eye out for the Eagle. Maybe he is no longer there now after swallowing my size 4 Dragon Nymph!!!

TLL
  4. Keith Hixson Active Member

College Place, Washington
    Ratings: +52 / 0
    "Keep an eye out for the Eagle. Maybe he is no longer there now after swallowing my size 4 Dragon Nymph!!!"

Isn't fishing for eagles illegal. I understand you have to a 6" steel leader and 20 lb test line for any hope of landing one.... :rofl:

Keith
  5. Coach Duff Banned or Parked

Kailua Hawaii
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    And a reel with a hell of a lot of drag Keith. Talk about a knuckle buster!:D
  6. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +539 / 0
    You can get the whiteheads on dries...a good duck or goose pattern should be the ticket...match the flock.:clown:
  7. Keith Hixson Active Member

College Place, Washington
    Ratings: +52 / 0
    :rofl:

I figure you'd need a 20 weight rod to throw that large of a fly. :D

Does Sage make a 20 WT.? :hmmm:

Keith
  8. Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

Quesnel, BC
    Ratings: +318 / 0
    I think an ~18 wt is the biggest I have ever seen. They handle Marlin though.
  9. Woodcanoeguy Member

Ridgefield, WA
    Ratings: +22 / 0
    This last Friday the hatch was pretty good.....busy with 25 boats......I avoided the crowd at the north end and fished the east shore and got a dozen or so in the half hour fenzy, but only one over 15". Maybe they were bigger at the north end. I used a really sparse fly.....and they sucked it in instead of tail slapping it to death. Always exciting! Mr. Eagle was busy chasing everyones fish......

Last night (Tues) at Merrill it was overcast, foggy, gloomy and it rained the whole evening. Only one other person on Lake. The hatch went off full storm at 9 pm and it was fast and furious fishing. My son's first hex hatch and he was frustrated by the takes but had fun non the less. No eagle around so I guess he is a fair weather bird....we got to fight the fish with no worries.