Any of you guys fish stealhead?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Wadecalvin, Oct 7, 2006.

1. Wadecalvin

Wadecalvin Member

Hey guys- Ive posted this on a couple boards without much response and thought you could give me some info. You Saltwater guys seem to know about the kinds of lines I'm looking into such as Outbound, Clouser and - hopefully Stealhead/ Atlantic salmon taper (all Rio). I'm thinking of trying Rio outbound line for steelheading on the Deschutes but understand it may not mend as well as the steelhead taper on my 9' 8wt - I've heard clouser does not mend well for swing fishing.

I'm having to wade a little deeper than I'm comfortable with- and would like something that roll casts well - to keep away from the trees on back-cast. My elbow is slightly trashed and I'm gonna try two handing with my fighting butt untill my elbow heals or I go left handed or spey.

Thank you.

2. Coach Duff

Coach Duff Banned or Parked

Media:
    Steelhead Taper. Coach:beer1:

3. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

The reason why Outbounds don't mend is that they're shooting heads on a running line - running lines do not have enought weight to pick up the head. You want to mend, you have to use a "traditional" flyline like a steelhead taper.

Leland.

4. Jim Darden

Jim Darden Active Member

If you are single handing, find the longest belly line you can for the roll casting. It will give you more distance. Also, make sure it is clean and greased for easy mending. I know most would disagree with me but I feel one option you could consider is a shooting head with mono running line. If you cast the head in the correct direction (so the head swings straight), the mono runs straight to the head and doesn't require mending.

Most places on the DesChutes are better suited to two handing because of the backcast situation (and the wind) but I know that is a pricy thing to get into. If you are going to fish that river a lot, I'd give it some serious consideration, if you don't mind learning to cast all over again.

5. Don Freeman

Don Freeman Free Man

Match a good weight forward floating line to your rod. If you're already a distance caster, and using a fast action rod, try a Rio Grand, or Steelhead line if you are confident that you can deal with the long belly in the wind on the Deschutes.

If you can make good casts from 40-60', you are going to hook steelhead. If your'e making sloppy casts with a lot of slack at 60-80', it won't go as well. I've been fishing the big D since the early 80's with a one hand hand rod, and generally hook up more than the spey fishers, since I'm targeting pockets I know hold fish, rather than trying to see how much river I can cover.

All that said, after I get back from the orthopedists today, I may well be pricing spey rigs if they can't do something with my hands. It's as if you can't get 60 years of hard use out of a set anymore. I want my money back.