Any one tie a japanese skeleton shrimp pattern?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by jimmy z, Jun 12, 2008.

1. jimmy z New Member

seabeck
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Hi, I've noticed these funny little, but creepy shrimp out working the last few days around the North Hood Canal and I was wondering if anybody has tried to imitate them for cutties and Coho. With their numbers they would have to be a staple for these fish!

Thanks, Jimmy Z
  2. jimmy z New Member

seabeck
    I'll take that as a big fat no! I guess it'll be up to me.
  3. Hooker Banned or Parked

WA
    Are those the little transparent shrimp with the black eyes?
  4. jimmy z New Member

seabeck
    This what they look like. There can be thousands of them. They run a 1/4 " to and 1 1/4 ".
  5. FlyGirl2007 New Member

Issaquah, WA
    You might try asking / searching in the Patterns area of the forum (sub forum of Fly Tying)...

Just my $0.02.
  6. Hooker Banned or Parked

WA
    someone had some pictures in the gallery a few days ago of some small transparent shrimp with black eyes. you might look for those photos to see if they are one and the same.
  7. kosel80 Native Trout Fan

Hampton Roads Virginia
    I have been playing with clear larva lace on shrimp patterns lately and have turned out a few that look close to your picture.I have have any photos of the patterns but I just tie a short marabou tail for movement,a good base of floss eyes and then wrap the larva lace over the body.The only tough part is getting the Larva Lace into the correct body shape but I thought they looked pretty sexy when their done right.
  8. Philster New Member

Ratings: +3 / 0
    San Juan shrimp under an indicator. You'll get bored REALLY fast, but it's good for a couple laughs to watch a big ol' indicator dunk a couple times.
  9. cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +237 / 0
    Those are a type of gammarid amphipod, called a caprellid. They can be really thick on eelgrass blades with the right current; many are planktivores. They are pretty tenacious in holding onto eelgrass blades with their lower legs and I'm not sure how important they are in the diet of cutthroat. I'm sure they occur in their diets, but I would be surprised in the quantity was very high. When caprellids do get dislodged, they alternate drifting and spasmodic twitching as they try to run into something to hold onto.

Steve