Any other searun cutt anglers here who can paddle all morning hunting estuary cutts?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Jim Wallace, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide.

Cranberry Country...a glorified coastal swamp!
    Sunday dawn patrol til noon. Minimum distance covered will be 10 miles of paddling, maybe 12 miles or so before we're done. I'm just asking for a cutthroat fishin' paddling buddy, cause its been so lonesome back there. (Actually, I love the solitude...) You must already know your stuff, as i ain't up to giving any lessons, but will show you some good water and take you on a nice little tour. No guarantees that any fish will be found, but I've been finding some.

Disclosure: At a leisurely pace, I can paddle all day. More details provided for any serious paddling anglers who can make it.

Also, the bottom fishing has been good along the Jetty. Huge schools of anchovies everywhere. Feeding frenzy stuff. Tides are getting more user-friendly. And the Bay has been happening when the Kings are in and biting.

I'm late for the surf. Gotta go. Back later.:D

2. Jim Wallace

Any other searun cutt anglers here who can paddle all morning hunting estuary cut

I might go paddle all day dawn til dusk if no one else wants to go. This is back in the Elk River estuary. Tides are perfect for a whole day. Although if it gets too sunny, I might just make it a half day til about noon. I've done this before. I ride in on the last gasp of the morning high tide, maybe trolling a streamer in spots that are clear of eel grass, but reeling in to cut over the shallow flats. I get to places where I can cast and strip, or even fish dries.
    This Sunday its possible to stay in the backwaters until after the evening high around 6pm or so and then cruise out with a favorable tide, taking out around 7:30pm. There are only a few days in the season when everything lines up for a decent all day cutthroat trip thru 2 high tides. So far, this Sunday is looking good for paddling.
    I have found that it is easy to underestimate the amount of food/energy snacks and liquids one will need for an all day estuary tour.
    I know several spots where one can beach and get out, and walk above the high tide line to briefly stretch one's legs, answer nature's call, etc. where the prevalent mud and high mud banks aren't much of an issue.
    I have to tie up some more flies. I lost a couple good ones last trip.

I'm going no matter what, since I have to leave Monday to help on a concrete pour.

3. Tony James

Tony James Member

Any other searun cutt anglers here who can paddle all morning hunting estuary cut

Hi Jim,

Man do I like the sound of this outing! I currently have one item on the Sunday schedule, but it's possible to move it. I do the majority of my fishing with a 7 weight from my kayak - this adventure sounds tailor made. Shall we exchange details and go explore some water? I need to tie some flies too. I was dragging an olive over white yesterday evening and kept missing my hook ups . . . I'm going to try a longer and heavier hook.

4. Jim Wallace

TJBug, Your favorite searun cutt patterns should work. Baitfish patterns or streamers #6 or #4 are what I use trolling in the estuary. Most are 3X long, some maybe 4X, and a couple of tubes. A Shock&Awe tube I have looks just like an anchovy. There might be a lot of anchovies back there right now. They were so thick one trip last year about this time, that I used a flashy white trolling fly that stood out, and got their attention. I was thinking that the cutts might not have even noticed a good anchovy imitation, there was so much bait around. Got no love on the Shock&Awe when I tried it that day. The schools of bait come and go.
    We will venture way back and up the Elk a ways. Its blocked by a large tangle of several fallen trees below the head of tidewater right about where you reach the logging mainline....can't even get a yak past that blockage without hauling out and portaging around, only to find you don't get far before you hit yet another blockage. So I don't bother trying to portage around it. Don't know if there's time to explore the tidal reach of another creek. I usually go one way or another.

I like to bring my 6wt rigged with a clear intermediate and a trolling pattern for the estuary, and my 4wt rigged with a floater for when I'll need that. 7' to 9' Leader to 3X or maybe straight 8# or 10# flourocarbon on the 6 wt, and a 9' to 10' leader down to 4X on the 4wt. Rare to have to go to 5X, and then only with smaller dries.
    You might want to bring along your 5wt (or even lighter) as a backup and for "upstream." Sometimes I only find smaller cutts. 7wt might be on the heavy side for them. Salmon doesn't open above the Hwy 105 bridge until Oct.

Flies in the river: same baitfish patterns used down in the estuary, Reversed Spiders, soft hackles, dries if we see any cutts surface feeding, sculpins...
    The cutts were really spread out all over the place, from low down in the estuary all the way up into the lower river and creek mouths two weekends ago. I'm sure we'll hit a few. Its a really cool place just to paddle around in and enjoy. We must carry our yaks about 150 yds to the water, and we can even double up carrying them one at a time to make it easy.
    This Sunday, the tide hits the morning high about 7, so we should launch as early as possible. Its better when you go with the flow. Barely a 6' high, and only running out to about 3'. Later, after the low at around 11:30am, the next flood won't pick up full steam until about 1:30 or 2pm. Then it pushes in pretty hard until about 5:30 or 6pm, reaching high of about 8' at about 6:30, allowing an easy paddle out before dark. Probably better to just plan for the half-day, and get back at the launch around 2pm. I can pull the all-day paddle, since I live only about 4 miles from where I launch, and don't have to drive far when tired.

Check your pms for my personal contact info so we can talk more details and arrange a hook-up.

Still room for other yak/fly anglers. No worm&bobber huckers!

5. Tony James

Tony James Member

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the great info. I have a 7 and a 5 for Sunday - looking forward to the trip. I've seen your pm and will finish the chat in the a.m. I like your idea about the half day . . . I'll try and find some silver in the evening! I'm going to try my best to see Anil tomorrow - who knows, maybe I can pick up the One (I mean a six).

6. Jim Wallace

Thanks for the call this morning, TJBug. I'll get a few flies tied today, even if I have to hide my rig and lock my doors to fend off interruptions. I just couldn't turn down that dinner invite for some fresh Neah Bay Humpy and fish stories yesterday evening, when I was planning to tie. Neighbor got a chromer of nearly 7 lbs while bucktailing Coho flies! See you at 6am! Weather/wind report sounds almost perfect!

7. PT

PT Physhicist

If I had a kayak or canoe, I'd be all over this! Rowing my barge (WM) all day wouldn't cut it.

8. Jim Wallace

I don't recommend anything that you don't want to row or paddle for a few miles each way, and that isn't good against current and wind. Most of this estuary is wide open to the wind, and shallow, but it seems custom made for paddling. Its nice to be able to cover some water and explore. I can cruise over shallower shallows than I could in my old squanoe with a minnkota, and also squeeze thru narrower gaps.
    My U-12 is low-profile on the water, so it's hull cuts thru the wind. My body is like a sail and the wind can blow me upstream.

Locked and loaded, heh, heh... Gotta go whip up a couple more reversed spiders...a new color scheme for me (no reason for this other than I like the looks of it)...Lady Amherst Pheasant hackle and "Midnight Fire" New Age Chenille body, Lady Amherst tail, hot orange thread, then hit the rack.

9. Jim Wallace

TJBug and I had a great time paddling the Elk estuary. We touched a few smaller cutts. One put a huge bend in TJBug's 7 wt, but it got off before he could get his rod out of the holder, and we didn't get to see it.
    Not long after launching, we were treated to a 12"er jumping about 20" out of the water right in front of my boat, not very far up from the bridge.
    I picked up a nice little 10" casting a reversed spider to its lie behind a piling. We got most of our hits while trolling around. We saw a good sized one splash the surface, too.
    That TJBug is a paddling machine. He doesn't even like to stop for lunch while he's out there!

Thanks again for coming all the way out here to paddle around in the Elk estuary with me, TJBug! We just scratched the surface yesterday, and it can get a lot better.
    And thanks again for treating me to lunch afterwards.

10. Tony James

Tony James Member

Right back at you Jim, thanks for sharing that beautiful spot, it was awesome. As I mentioned, I expected to see either a deer or an elk around any bend - it was more than worth the drive. You know that water extremely well, it was extremely generous to send the invite. Thanks again for the flies and for hosting a really cool change of pace for me - tight lines!

11. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:

This is a bad ass WFF thread of like minded dudes getting out after it. Well played gents.

12. Jim Wallace

Again, my pleasure, TJBug. Thanks for the fly and lunch. Tides are looking good again around Labor Day weekend. I think I know where I might go to
    escape the hordes. I got home last night, planning to paddle back in the Elk today, but there wasn't any cloud cover. I woke up to clear skies. Not fishing today, but going to check the surf.

13. Chad Lewis

Chad Lewis NEVER wonder what to do with your free time

You guys are killing me. If I still lived on the West side I'd have called in dead, grabbed the U14 and went with ya'. Let me know when the next one goes down and I'll start saving up for gas money.

14. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

Media:

15. Jim Wallace

My arms are tired! Went again yesterday. Did same route as on Sunday. First 5 fish LDR'd themselves. One was really nice, very strong and heavy,and I almost got it to the net for a pic, after it wrapped me around a piling, then dove into a root tangle a couple of times. When I reached for the net, it went under my yak and leapt high behind me, throwing the hook. What a fish! It hit a brand new streamer (one I had concocted the prior evening) that I had just tied on. I was trolling downstream past a row of pilings at the low tide change when it hit.

The streamer? Size 6 3x long streamer hook, Gold bead head, Hot orange thread, Short red marabou tail, body of "white pearl" New Age chenille, a red goatee, and wing is a pinch of "rainbow" Angel Hair between two matched Grizzly hackles.
    Your favorite patterns will also work, as these cutts aren't very critical.
    I finally brought to hand a couple of 10" -11" little chromers.

Only thing is that I was delayed and launched 1 hour after high tide, so I missed my boost and had to paddle in against mild outgoing current, and then I dallied far too long in the backwaters, paddling back out against the flood. It was a good workout, though. The cutts seemed to be spread out and cruising solo.
    I'd go again today, but I need a rest. I have another place in mind for today which is much easier.