NFR Any Plumbers on the Board?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by freestoneangler, Nov 20, 2012.

1. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

If so, please tell me why plumbing repairs are so friggin expensive -- 30 year, 747 captains don't make that much/hour!

2. jeff bandy

jeff bandy Make my day

How much would charge to play with someone else's shit all day?:rolleyes:

bennysbuddy, dryflylarry and Kcahill like this.
  3. Bradley Miller

Bradley Miller Dances with fish

Yes they do, if you figure in L and I, unemployment insurance, liability insurance, health insurance, vacations, sick leave, personal time, pensions, etc. etc. etc. Not to mention overhead: contracting insurance, business licenses and taxes, people who don't pay, margins for errors, etc etc etc. Compare the apples with the apples, and it'll look a bit different.

4. jessejames

jessejames Flyslinger

You looking for a plumber or do you just want to insult one. $100.00 an hour is just about right to get a problem fixed.
    jesse

Brady Burmeister likes this.
  5. Bradley Miller

What Boeing, as a for instance, pays per hour to a tech or an engineer is a whole lot different than what they charge for that same hour to build a plane. Just sayin'.

6. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

3 words- free market enterprise.

They are worth what people are willing to pay them.

The cost of an item is determined by the market not the cost of production, save for a few products like food and fuel etc.

Go Sox,
    cds

bennysbuddy likes this.
  7. Bradley Miller

Having said that, however, if you need plumbing help let me know.
    Trout bum to trout bum is a different rate. :)

8. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

Then maybe they should try their hand at being Plumbers, It has been said that the only difference between Plumbers & Doctors is a Doctor washes his hands before he gos to work and a Plumber washes his after work, the pay is the same!!!!!

freestoneangler likes this.
  9. Bradley Miller

And.....I've heard it said; more lives are saved by plumbers than doctors.
    Yeah, it was said by a plumber, but..........point taken. Right?

10. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

I don't figure that anyone saves lives, after all, none of us are actually getting out of here alive right?

Go Sox,
    cds

Brady Burmeister and Old Man like this.
  11. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

There you have it in just a few words, What would you charge to do the task????

12. jessejames

jessejames Flyslinger

Having been in the contracting business for much of my life I understand the sticker shock of a craftman's hourly rate to a homeowner or business man. If a guy has a goal of making a decent living to support himself and his family he needs 50 grand minimum annually. Figuring expenses, tools, truck gas, taxes L & I etc,etc,etc. said guy would need 100 grand in charged labor to make it work. You don't get work every day so you have to figure if you can get 1500 billable hours a year that is a good average. Based on that the hourly rate from shop to job and back to the shop has got to be about $70.00 per hour. When you figure it out at the end of the year that would be about $25. per hour gross wages. Not much when you figure the guy is going to solve your shitty problem.
    I was giving an estimate to do some work in a Lexus dealership one time and I quoted the owner a rate of $75. per hour plus materials. He immediately cried foul and began to negotiate a lower rate. We were standing near a work staion in his deluxe shop area and there was a prominant sign on the wall behind him,,,LABOR RATE $90.00 PER HOUR. I just nodded toward the sign and stood there. He signed the purchase order and we did the work.
    When you are charging for work it seems reasonable when you are paying it seems like highway robbery.
    jesse

triploidjunkie and Josh Smestad like this.
  13. jeff bandy

jeff bandy Make my day

You would not believe the number of Doctors who ask for side work. I'm a electrician working at a hospital. I get really insulted when someone takings home more than two, three or for all I know ten times as much, wants me to risk my licence helping them avoid paying a fair rate.

I know guys that do side work. They don't take the possible consequences of their actions in to account.

14. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Good description Jesse. Overhead costs are very real but unseen by the customer. When I was building my house I figured the various contractors needed to charge roughly twice their wages in order to cover overhead and break even. Still got some good deals.

Jeff, what exactly is "side work?" Does that mean off the books, cash under the table, and not charging tax or paying L&I ?

Sg

15. jeff bandy

jeff bandy Make my day

Sg, that's right. Besides risking a fine and/or suspension of their licence. If they get hurt, no L&I.
    Also there is the liability involved. If there is a fire, they could be held accountable. Including criminality, like if someone dies.

They think because their only taking cash their protected. Wrong. Say I'm a Ins. adjuster called out for a house fire. The fire marshal determines the cause was electrical work. I ask the homeowner if they had someone do work? Did they get a permit? Where they licensed and bonded?

Now I'm not a Ins. adjuster. But these sound like good reasons to deny a claim. Wouldn't you " the home owner" go after the guy who might have done the work in question.

16. Bradley Miller

In Washington, typical contractors liability insurance premiums pay for liability protection for both the homeowner and the contractor. If anything goes badly, civil suits and litigation are typically involved. Who needs that kind of risk and grief for $25 an hour?

17. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

So it all tree's back to the friggin lawyers! Not only are they getting elected to far too many political positions and mucking things up, they've have a hand in creating the litany of laws and regulations that line their pockets and jacks up the price of damn near everything.

Any lawyers on the forum? :D

18. jeff bandy

jeff bandy Make my day

Funny the Ad's that pop up on some of these threads;
    PlumbingNetworks.com
    Licensed, Professional Plumbers Get Multiple Free Quotes Instantly!
    I for one like the L&I rules. It helps control the "hacks" that think they know how to do it all. I've been shocked (read electrocuted) more then once by someone else's work. ​
    Once got hit by a free hanging range hood. Previous so called electrician had hooked it up all backward. Put the hot to the shell and the neutral to the ungrounded lead. It was like that for years until some person tall enough to touch it and the stove top/ground. Man that one hurt. I was lucky it didn't do any lasting damage. ​

19. Jeremy Floyd

Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

I had a call once when I was general contracting in Washington. I showed up to fix a floor that the lady had complained squeaked when it was walked on. I showed up walked around the floor, listened, and then I used the snap-off head screws you can put through carpet and leave no marks. I fixed the floor in about 5 minutes with a dozen or so screws and a cordless drill. I then wrote the lady a bill for $48 dollars.

She came unglued and yelled at me that I was taking advantage of her. She called me filthy names and all sorts of things. I asked her if she owned her house. She proudly said that she did. I asked her if she knew what a lien was. She said she did. I then asked her if she knew how to build a house. She said she didn't. I then told her that I would write her up a new bill taking that information into account.

The new bill was then written;
    screws $5.00
    knowing where to put them $43.00
    30 minutes travel time, each direction $0.00

She paid the bill, still bitched me out one last time though.

triploidjunkie, PT and jessejames like this.
  20. jeff bandy

jeff bandy Make my day

I had this call out at least a half a dozen times.
    Call to the office;
    Customer-All of the bathrooms are dead and none of the breakers are tripped.
    Office- When was your house built?
    Customer-Mid eighties.
    Office-Most homes built around had time had a GFI outlet placed near the panel. Usually in the garage. It will have two buttons on it. One marked test, one marked reset. Try to find that and reset it.
    Customer-I have lived in this house since it was new and I know there is no such outlet. Please come out an check it out.
    Office- That will be a service call. ( I think we charge $95.00 for that)
    Customer-Okay

I go out find the panel in the garage, with a GFI outlet right next to it. Reset it. Check the power in the bathrooms. Show the customer the GFI and tell them the bill will be mailed. You would not believe how many refuse to pay.