Any recent Lenice/Nunnally report?

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Pontooner, May 10, 2011.

1. Pontooner

Pontooner Member

Media:
    Heading to Lenice this weekend and I havent heard anything for a few weeks. I would guess damsels have started as well as mayflies. Anyone been there recently?

Thanks for all info.

2. dp

dp ~El Pescador

I can give you a report on Monday
    I plan to be there Friday evening and all day on Saturday
    camping in the lot (pretty sure)

dp

3. Phil Fravel

Phil Fravel Friendly

Media:
    I fished it all last week. No action on damsel imitations, and have not hit a good Mayfly hatch there in a couple of years. I did average a fish per half hour on Chironomids. Here is a few pics of my son with 2 Tigers and a Bow

4. Jay Burman

Jay Burman Experienced Ne'r do well and Layabout.

Media:
    Nice pics! I forgot how beautiful Lenice lake can be. I haven't been there for a few years due to my concerns over car break ins and the increasing difficulty of transporting my 'toon up the hill back to my car.

5. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

"Suffering builds character!" That difficulty getting up the hill back to the car should build "character".

I am not aware of any break in problems in the past few years. Poaching is a different matter.

MB

6. dp

dp ~El Pescador

I like the flat water
    pretty sure I'll be there as I mentioned earlier
    did wwell there a few weeks ago in the late afternoon
    beer and Pendleton Friday night!

7. John P

John P Member

I was there yesterday and had my usual day at Lenice although the way the day started I thought it might be better than usual. 10 minutes in I landed what must of been a RB almost 20 inches (didn't fit in my net). After that it was grabs and LLR with the smaller plants. Landed a couple more RB later. I used GBH leeches, Damsel fly nymphs, and slow retrieved chironimids (I don't usually bobber fish). The little guys really grabbed the chironimids and were very acrobatic.

Very little surface activity although chironimids (size 20-22) and an occasional mayfly were coming off all day. Turn over happened at around Noon and lasted the rest of the day so the surface was filled with junk when I pulled out. Very little wind and comfortable temps.

Good luck!!

John P.

8. RobZfishrman

RobZfishrman New Member

Nice pics, looks like it was a good day. Never caught a tiger trout before. Hmmm, new quest!

9. Phil Fravel

Phil Fravel Friendly

Media:
    Thanks Jay...It is beautyful there. I have been staying at lake Lenice now for one week a year for the past 26 years. I have never been broken into there. This year I saw the game warden there at least 3 times. Thats a good thing. For that matter I don't know If I have ever seen anybody broke into at Lenice. (Not to say that it doesn't happen, I'm sure someone on this board has been broken into there) It seems that there are usually enough fisherman walking in and out of the parking lot that thief's would prefer a less populated place.

10. robl

robl Member

Media:
    Great trip! Sad that the tigers won't be in there for much longer!

Have to get out soon.

11. Pontooner

Pontooner Member

Media:
    We arrived at the lake around 930ish Friday morning. There was a constant wind of around 10-15 mph all day long. Fishing as a whole was pretty slow for this time of year. There were 15-20 rigs in the parking lot and it was a warm day high around 75. Most guys were chironomid fishing as well as few doing the trolling thing, talking with most people it was a slow day. I didnt see anyone catching fish consistantly. We fished until 530 and we landed slightly over a dozen fish between us, the lake fished better the 2nd half of the day. Most fish were the new plants that ranged from 12-15 inches and we had a few 18-20 inches, all rainbows. Stomach samples revealed fish were full of olive Daphnia, very few chironomids, this was very different then only a few weeks ago from my sampling. In my experience when trout are on daphina fishing can be difficult.

12. robl

robl Member

Media:
    What are daphina?

13. Taxon

Taxon Moderator Staff Member

RobL-

Daphnia is a genus of Crustacean. They are sometimes so prolific in our lakes, that trout will feed on them, seemingly to the exclusion of anything else. However, they are so small that imitating an individual is virtually impossible. Some flies have been designed to imitate a bunch of them with a single fly. However, opinions vary rather widely on how successfully this actually works.

14. Caveman

Caveman Member

Means a bad day of fishing if you know they are earting this.

15. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    While testing out a new rod yesterday, I caught and throat sampled a few trout that were full of daphnia, along with a few midges. If I had to guess on ratio, I would have said 90:10 in favor of the daphnia by volume. If it were by sheer numbers, well, let's just say there were say too many to count.

16. robl

robl Member

Media:
    Wow! I didn't even know about that. Brutal!

17. Wayne Kohan

Wayne Kohan fish-ician

Media:
    Lenice report from today: I woke up, the wind was doing 25 gusting to 35. I decided not to go due to the wind. I am sad. The end.

Why is it so freaking nice during the week and so terrible on the day(s) I can go fishing? Sometimes life just does not seem fair.

Wayne

18. brad judy

brad judy New Member

The daphnia thing totally makes sense. Like many others, my friend and I struggled this last weekend too. We still managed good conversation and dinners and fires so all was not lost, but man was this ever a different lake then a month ago. The daphnia, man, the daphnia. Bad, really bad word. Almost as bad as the damn "W" word that was present most of the weekend too. Throw in the once every fifty year rainstorm and it made for an interesting weekend.

19. dp

dp ~El Pescador

I fished Friday evening and Saturday and was able to get into fish. When I say fish - 80% of them were the recent plants and 6-7 were in the 15-20 inch range.
    there was one guy fishing chiro's in the back islands that was on fire!! In 30 minutes I saw him net 10 fish or so and then move on and he kept hitting them.
    His fish were 15-17 inches and all I saw was about a 4 foot leader.
    callibeatis patterns and damsels was working for me.