Any Recent Trips to Pass Lake?

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Matt Roelofs, Sep 20, 2007.

1. Matt Roelofs

Matt Roelofs Member

Has anybody out there fished Pass Lake lately? I'm thinking about going down this weekend and I'm curious about water temps and algae conditions - though if you want to throw in info about what bugs you found to be successful, that'd be OK too...Thanks.

2. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

i was going to go to pass lake this weekend... but i broke my 5wt :(

hopefully redington ships warranty work back quick.

3. i was there about 2 weeks ago i got 2 21 inchers and 1 27 incher all were rainbows i caught them on a size 16 adams dry fly real close to shore. The alege was pretty thick in spots then i dont know about now. good luck and pm me if you have any questions.

4. Chad Lewis

Chad Lewis NEVER wonder what to do with your free time

I live in Oak Harbor, so I go to Pass regularly. It's only been during the past couple weeks that I have had any success with dry flies, but the last two trips it's been good. I used an elk hair caddis with success, also a smallish foam beetle/ant pattern in black. Fish the dries with a slow "finger-over-finger" retrieve. You want it to move slightly without creating a wake or dunking the fly. I think this works better than just letting it float. Plus, sitting there and watching a dry float on stillwater is, to me, akin to watching paint dry.

For fishing subsurface, I have a lot of luck with a full sinking line and black streamer patterns. Pattern doesn't seem to matter that much, as long as it's a mouthful and it's black. Muddlers are pretty good too. If you're going Sunday let me know; I might be there too.

There's algae in the water, but I don't have anything to compare it to so I can't say how much it is. Hasn't seemed to affect the fishing.

5. Ryan Francis

Ryan Francis HUMILITY IS NOT THINKING LESS OF ME, BUT THINKING

I fished Pass Lake on tuesday nite, algae was thick, fishing was moderate, fished green chronnie
    at about 3 feet, several soft takes, two fish to hand about 15 inches. Nice nite on the lake
    two other guys fishing dries, did not seem them catch anything, but I also had the chronnie stare
    going