Any reports for area 9

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by rockfish, Jul 17, 2009.

1. rockfish

rockfish Member

Did anybody have success fishing the opener?

2. Go Fish

Go Fish Language, its a virus

Media:
    Check the other boards.... sounds like a
    strong opener.

3. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

I haven't heard much yet but will know after Sunday.

Leland.

4. rockfish

rockfish Member

Was pretty windy last night until 8pm around pnp. Got the goose egg.

5. Rob Ast

Rob Ast Active Member

Media:
    Hit Eglon and PNP Thursday mid-day and Today early AM. Nothing doing at either site. Saw one fish caught Thursday, none today.

6. urbnfly

urbnfly Member

Media:
    It's fishing okay!!!:thumb:

7. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

Donte,

I thought you would show up when there were fish to be caught!

Leland.

8. Tony

Tony Left handed Gemini.

Media:
    Hit PNP early AM on the opener, the beach rapidly filled with guys using various techniques, herring, flies, gear of all sorts, also there were like a gazillion boats all around the point, it was very amazing, wow, I've never seen more boats on the water than guys on the beach but I swear it was 2 to 1. In the 3 hours I was there I saw 2 fish landed off the beach and one other one LDR by a guy using herring, I got a touch by a larger fish (larger than the 6 to 8 inch dinks that were hitting) and as far as the boats went I never saw a fish landed not to say there weren't any but judging by how quick the ranks thinned the action wasn't all that good. My best guess is there really weren't many fish about or perhaps they were in shock frightened by the sheer immensity of things splashing and flashing all around them where just a day before they were happily feeding.
    tony

9. urbnfly

urbnfly Member

Media:
    I'm sure you'll have a nice report of your own tomorrow. Good luck!

Donte

10. Mike T

Mike T Active Member

I was there today on a boat. Nothing for me & I didn't see any landed. Not a total waste as it was a gorgeous day.

11. Mike (Doc) LaCombe

Mike (Doc) LaCombe Member

I went to PNP this morning. Large fleet along with many beach casters. I fished through the tide change and never saw a fish taken. I was told that there were a few taken before 6 am but of course I arrived after 6.

Mike

12. rockfish

rockfish Member

The kings are huge this year hopefully so will the ocean returning silvers. Fished the shoreline just north of the kingston ferry terminal for 2 hrs with a clouser and nuthin.

13. Sean Beauchamp

Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Media:
    my family up in tashis, bc have been nailin much bigger than average coho this year, fish to 17lbs with numerous 12+lbrs already. hopefully that bodes well for our runs... id love to see those fish off our beaches this year....

14. MasterAnglerTaylor

MasterAnglerTaylor Member

Media:
    What size clousers you guys using out there....i havent been out for while and dont know the size of the baitfish out there. I got little stuff all the way up to full size herring flies. Headed out to try tomorrow morning.

15. bigguy

bigguy New Member

On the water at PNP shortly after 5 on both mornings. I saw two other fish landed by gear guys otherwise, in two mornings PNP only produced a a 4# wild coho, a few chases and a sore arm. Ditto on the lots of boats. I can only imagine that kind of traffic drives the fish deep or somewhere else.

16. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    I did a dawn patrol on an East facing beach in MA 9 on Friday morning. Fished it for about two hours, bait seen in the 3" to 5" range, two boils that could have been an SRC or small Coho but casting in the vicinity netted no takes or follows on surface or subsurface patterns. Moved to a Northeast facing beach in MA 9 to find a long line of anglers with varying techniques employed. Here I got three beefy and aggressive bull heads that hit flies on a pretty brisk strip. Still evidence of a nice amount of baitfish. A few jumpers well beyond my casting capabilities. After another couple of hours I headed to the family adventures planned for the day. Score: Me Zero (bullheads don't count for crap). Beach anglers: Zero Gaggle of 50-100 boats Zero that I saw.

High point was fishing with Rob Ast, running into Mr. Bad Example and realizing that I can teach myself how to double haul and add at least 20 feet to my paltry casting distances. At least I got out.

Crabbing report from an area of MA 9 still closed for salmon fishing...worked traps far too long for two keeper dungeness and four red rock. They were tasty, but probably not worth the effort. One of my preferred pot dropping areas had so many of those non-recreational crabbing floats that you could just about walk across them.

17. rockfish

rockfish Member

I like size 4 & 6. Just about any baitfish pattern with green or pink in it will get a strike from from a rezzi who swims by. There tons of candlefish out in deeper water. those black lookin diving ducks all got 3 or 4 hanging out of there mouths. Friday evening got a 7 or 8 lber coho king fishin and it had candlefish and herring in him. Gluttonous bastard

18. DimeBrite

DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

Media:
    I fished MA-9 beaches on the evening of the 17th and in the morning on the 18th and 19th during a family vacation. Friday evening I battled the winds and landed a 3lb rezzie on a epoxy sandlance pattern (BBQ time). Diving birds coming up with 4" sandlance and a subtle rip tide revealed the spot to cast (I never saw any jumping or slashing the surface at that spot but they were there). Saturday morning tried another beach and had the best action with 7 hard grabs or hook-ups, but only 2 silvers landed (the largest was 4lbs and put on a good show). All takes were on 3" epoxy sandlance patterns. I also captured a legal dungenous crab the hard way (with my feet). Sunday morning was slower action for me and the larger feeding fish seemed to be just out of reach; I landed ~6 shakers and a cutthroat. That morning my 12 year old nephew hooked the fish of the day, a real hot silver that took him for a ride (the look of shock on his face was priceless). I'll put some photos in the gallery later tonight.

No pinks or chinook caught, maybe later. Overall the resident silvers seemed fewer and smaller than last year, but it was bright out and one weekend isn't a trend.

19. MasterAnglerTaylor

MasterAnglerTaylor Member

Media:
    Yea i went out, i think i forgot how to overhead cast, been spey casting forever and have been to lazy to hit beach. I tried a xp rod that i acquired with my versitip on it and the intermediate tip on. Man i couldnt cast 30 feet to save my life. My tfo pro with that line used to cast pretty good. I got embarrassed after like 10 minutes and left. What leader should i use with that intermediate tip? Normal 9ft or just short piece? I did see some guy leave with 2 small somethings, guessing silvers.

20. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    with an intermediate I rarely use more than 3-4' of leader/tippet. when you're going subsurface, and have a less visible running line, there's no reason to lengthen it and make your casting more difficult than it needs to be. especially with those heavy flies