any reports for chopaka lake?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by C&CRods, May 2, 2013.

1. C&CRods

C&CRods Member

Anyone got out to Chopaka Lake? Gonna head out there in June for a couple days.

2. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Hmmm. May reports for June wouldn't be much help. A lot changes / happen between now and them....

Ya might wait till it is a bit closer to your departure.

MB

3. C&CRods

C&CRods Member

Thank you. I have never been out there but hear great things.

4. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Might still be iced over. No, not really. I think it's likely a tad early. Been there Memorial Day weekend a couple times and experienced sun, overcast, rain, hail, snow and changing clothes from tee shirts to full on winter blizzard gear. Your June plan sounds about right to me. Take blue uprights, sedges, and damsel imitations.

Sg

5. C&CRods

C&CRods Member

Ha that sounds like Montana fishing. I'm used to that! Although the Yakima was similar on Saturday. Gotta love the weather battles of year round fishing.

6. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

I went there once for Memorial Day and wore every piece of clothing I had. Check the weather report before you go. Also, it gets old putting up with nasty weather when you're camped there when it's windy in the meadow.

7. C&CRods

C&CRods Member

Last weekend of June is the plan. Assuming the weather will balance out a bit by then

8. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

I only went there once. The lake was experiencing an epic human hatch at the time I was there.

9. C&CRods

C&CRods Member

I am hoping that June will beat some of the crowds. Human hatches are almost as bad as boat hatches on the river!

Stonefish likes this.
  10. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Be prepared for the "fly club" hatch. I've seen it a couple of times.

11. Billy McFly

Billy McFly Active Member

Chopaka is on my list for early June. Mid week, maybe a Monday/Tuesday trip. That's right around my Birthday so maybe I'll buy myself a float tube setup :)

12. C&CRods

C&CRods Member

Ya I'll be there Wednesday thru whenever too many people show up

13. marianigp

marianigp Member

Funny, I remember growing up in Oroville, we'd grouse hunt up there, and go for bunnys in the spring. Almost nobody and I mean nobody was ever on Chopaka.
    Not the same now.

14. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

I remember reading about it from John Geirich(sp?) in a magazine article mid nineties. After reading that I knew I had to get up there and experience that amazing calibaetis hatch. When I did, I remember being somewhat disappointed. The hatches of the same bugs were just as good or better in my backyard lake at the time(a fabled Washington flyfishing lake in it's own right). Every time I've been up there it hasn't been as good as other area lakes that are less crowded. Just one of many lessons I learned about avoiding the"hollywood water".

nailbender likes this.
  15. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Other than it's been so long and I want to go there so bad my teeth ache... nope, sorry. Should be about the right time for some action, and of course you can always count on the last couple miles of the drive to provide some excitement. Good luck.

16. jwg

jwg Active Member

Is there camping at chopaka?
    Jay

17. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Camping - yes.