Any reports from CHopaka?

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Jay Burman, Jul 1, 2014.

1. Jay Burman

Jay Burman Experienced Ne'r do well and Layabout.

Media:
    I'm planning a trip to Chopaka with a few friends, but before I drive for 5 hours I want to be sure that it's still there. Has anyone ventured to Chopaka this year, and if so can you provide a report? You input is deeply appreciated.

2. Donato

Donato Member

Fished it Thur-Sun last week. It was slow for me compared to 3 weeks ago. No mayfly hatch and they were reluctant to take adult damsels on the surface. Others did OK under an indicator with different fly's. Not many people and lots of good campsites available.

3. Golden Trout

Golden Trout Active Member

It is HOT as hell in this country!,,, Right now it is 90 on my protected porch and not fit for man nor beast out in the open. All this with hotter predictions on the way. There is a reason why it is slower than it was 3 weeks ago!

4. Tacoma Red

Tacoma Red Active Member

There is a campfire ban in effect from now until end of Sept.

5. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Media:
    Yes. I did not make it over as planned and that really pissed me off... now 4 years since my last visit. Not the report you wanted I realize, but it's fact. My neighbor went over early in the season and they did well...I'm guessing it's still fishing unless the hot weather gets them sulking... think micro leech if that's the case.

6. Preston

Preston Active Member

June 16-20: Arrived Monday afternoon and had time to set up the tent before the rain began, but it only lasted for a couple of hours. The rest of the trip was dry with comfortably cool temperatures, no serious wind and mixed sun and clouds. The fishing was slow. Although I saw large afternoon mating swarms of Callibaetis spinners, I saw only a very few duns and nothing that could be described as a hatch. In spite of this, most of our fish were caught on the Chopaka Emerger. There were lots of damsels in evidence but the fish showed little interest in tenerals or adults. There were lots of damsel nymphs crawling up the reeds and lots of ducks and fish after them but, for the most part, they were too far back into the reeds to present a fly.

The fish were typical, big-shouldered,16-20 inch Chopaka 'bows, full of piss and vinegar. The mosquitoes were fierce.

2006_0406callibaetiseries0003.JPG IMG_0390.jpg

7. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Media:
    Does that fish have a tail or what... looks like a steelhead.

8. Jmills81

Jmills81 The Dude Abides

Media:
    It was lights out over memorial

9. Preston

Preston Active Member

Just a trick of the camera. The fish was being held in a relatively horizontal position (hence the appearance of being rather slender, those of you who have fished Chopaka know that the typical Chopaka rainbow is anything but slender) and twisted its tail into a more vertical orientation just as the picture was snapped. Here's a typical chunky Chopaka specimen.

DSCF0045.JPG