Any Reports from Lone or Pass this last weekend?

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Chef, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Chef

Chef New Member

Any reports??

2. Caveman

Caveman Member

Wow you sure are beating a horse to death................

3. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:
    Did I miss something Chef, or is Caveman just nay saying?

I fished with troutpocket and a few others from the forum at Lone and fishing was steady in the morning and then the usual afternoon slow down although with two of us in the boat it didn't seem that way because we kept up enough action to keep things interesting. Moving around seemed key and then really working the area.

Now for the good news I fished one of your steamers from the swap and landed one and had another one on before I lost the fly. Rod has a picture of the fish with your fly in it's mouth on his phone.

Ira..

4. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

Media:
    Chef,
    I noticed in the late afternoon, just before the rain, adult chironomids started to come off. First cloud of bugs I've seen this year.

5. Chef

Chef New Member

ira: sweet... thanks for letting me know. Makes my day :) I wish I could have made it out there but shame on me for not checking the weather report for Saurday.

Jeff: Thanks for the report

Caveman: Chill out bro. Its life... take it easy.

6. Jay C

Jay C Active Member

I made it to Pass on Sunday. I did not get on the water until 11:30, and fished until about 3:00 pm. It was my first time out there. I had two on (lost them both) casting buggers and leaches in the shallows. I look forward to trying and figure out the lake.

7. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Chef:

There were a couple of reports posted on last weekend at Pass. I hit three on Friday, missed a few, on Chronies. Fished the east end of the second bay by the road, damn noisy. Got two in two casts with the bug about 5' down under a bobber next to the shore. Hit one other on the north side just before the shore turns to the north. All on sno cones - (1) on black; (2) on brown. Soem browns caught by one person working the shore slinging bigger stuff.

Friday was a good day to be out.

MB

8. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

Media:
    check your PM's

9. Tim Lockhart

Tim Lockhart Working late at The Office

Media:
    Good report from Scott. Short of a last minute winter blast the lake will be game on every day from here forward, accelerating into spring. I'm starting to notice more midges as well, but for now it's still a matter of timing the active parts of the day and exploiting the hell out of them. These windows may last an hour or two but they'll pay big if you recognize them. Saturday they really got going as the wind kicked up and were stacked along shore in the rough spots. Sunday they fed the first hour of light, went quiet for a couple hours, then got really active along shore at mid day 10:30 to 1 or so. I left after that but would guess there was another push near dusk.

Main thing is watch for those soft hits, as their behavior still seems to be winter-like. They'll react to any retrieve speed but want to swat at it more than anything, especially the early feed (more forgiving at mid day as that seems to be primary feeding time right now). If you're missing or losing a lot, lay off on the hooksets...I found yesterday morning that virtually nothing would stick with a normal hookset (on streamers). I went to a new leech pattern that exposes the hook nicely, and froze on any strike. If I waited and then slowly raised the tip they'd stick but all were just hooked at the outer edge of the lip.

Good now but a few more degrees will make it great.

10. scottflycst

scottflycst Active Member

If we can get some more nights in the mid 40s the water will begin warm a little. Most years we usually have a false spring the second half of Feb for a week or so, don't know this year, have to wait and see.