Any Reports from the Okanogon Area

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Donato, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Donato

Donato Member

I'm planning to Fish Thur - Sunday up there. Like to hit blue in the Sin and the other blue lake maybe chopaka and posibly lost lake. Are these lakes still fishing well? What about aneas lake. Any info would be appreciated.:cool:

2. Topstoy

Topstoy Member

Well, Me and some co-workers are heading over there Thursday and plan to fish Blue in the Sin on Friday, likely be spending most of the time on the south end. Then Saturday we will be at Aeneas, (home lake) I will likely fish it Sunday as well. I will be in a blue South Fork pontoon. Say Hi if you see me. It has been a month since I have been over so I can't tell you what's working right now, I am going to have to figure it out myself as well.

3. Donato

Donato Member

Good possibility we will meet up. I drive a white Frod F-150 with a white canopy. I will have my two dogs with me. I have a green bucks bag poontoon boat. I will try to meet up with you on Fri. I will fish buzzard and green lake on thur.

4. Topstoy

Topstoy Member

Sounds good!

5. Golden Trout

Golden Trout Active Member

I don't want to know how well, what flies, what part of the lake, etc. Please let me know how many poachers you encounter!

6. Matt Baerwalde

Matt Baerwalde ...

Media:
    Wow, GT, between your declaration that the lakes are drying up and this truly helpful interjection, you're a real barrel of laughs lately. Maybe go fishing?

7. Golden Trout

Golden Trout Active Member

Have you been to Buzzard Lake, lately?

8. Topstoy

Topstoy Member

Donato, It sure was nice connecting with you at Blue! We didn't see you at Aeneas, probably a good thing that you didn't make the trip over the hill as the wind blew hard much of the day. Caught a couple in the morning before the wind and then a couple just before dark. Yesterday, I fished the morning and again a couple more. I hope you made it back to the west side safely. Hope to see you again on the water somewhere! Ken

9. Caveman

Caveman Member

Wheres the report.

10. Topstoy

Topstoy Member

Blue was good to me, brought a dozen to the net and lost many more, Aeneas was as always for me, a bit more of a challenge. Picked up a total of 9 for the weekend. Yet those 9 fought twice as hard as the ones from Blue. Well worth the wait!

11. Donato

Donato Member

Topstoy,
    Good to meet you and your son. I'm sorry I didn't make it over on Sat but it was raining at 6:30am. I let the dogs out for a bit and went back to sleep. Fishing until 12 pm on Fri night and fire watching and whiskey drinking had dulled my enthusiasm early fishing that day
    OK for the real report.
    Fished Wen evening at buzzard only one fish to hand in 1.5 hr of fishing. A local that has been on the lake since the last time I saw him on Memorial day, said it was slow. Maybe he poacher or ate all fish in lake.
    Next day I fished Green lake. Got on the water at 9:30 and caught 7 before the wind came up and ruined the mayfly hatch. Sat around getting a tan and waiting for the wind to die but it never did.
    A side note: while waiting I took a walk with my dogs and found a wallet next to a camp fire pit with lots of beer cans and a few hook packages. In the wallet was a fishing license and a WA ID card. Attached to the wallet by a small key chain was a sm stuffed animal and a metal canister that reeked of weed. No weed so I can't get high and no money to buy beer or cheap whiskey. What to do. I pack up and was going to Blue to camp and fish for the evening when the GW pulls up and asks how I did. I said I found this and maybe you could mail it to him. He pulls out the ID and starts laughing. He said I know that boy. I arrested him more than a few time for illegal fishing. He lost his drivers license for DWI and thus the photo ID which I mistook for a DL. He be a real poacher so I hope that for fills Golden Trouts request.

I arrived at blue lake in the Sin and got on the water around 6:30. Caught 2 fish right off the bat and kept the third one for dinner. So no night fishing for me on Thur. Only three large motor homes and a small travel trailer camped on the south end of the lake. I basically had the circle all to myself.

Fri I met topstoy and his son. It wasn't windy so I decided to fish along the road side of the south end up to the camp grounds. I could not believe I only caught one fish for a good 2.5 hrs of fishing. A guy and his buddy in a drift boat had the same results. They said it was good fishing the last few day they fished it but for some reason it had slowed down. The wind picked a and I had to row against it to get back to the launch. Ken had picked up 4 fish near the channel and they were taking a break when I got out. He caught several more while I was taking my break. That gave me resolve to go back out and fish some more. I rowed back to the circle and picked up 3 nice fish then went back for a quick dinner. I decided to fish after dark for a bit. I got on the water at 9:30 pm and fished until 12pm. 5 to hand with tons of hits and some ldr's. It saw great

Sat was the latest day I ever got on the water when camping on a lake. I made a great pancake breakfast and took the dogs for a walk. That staying up late on Fri fishing and drinking took its toll on me. I guess I'm getting old. I was invite by Ed and his wife for a drink and when we found out we were both hunters, the BSing started. On the water around 3pm caught 4 more fish in the circle and then decided to do the night fishing thing again.
    Same leach pattern same results. Violent hits and short strikes with four fish to hand. I was fishing intermediate line both nights in less that 15 ft of water.

Side note: There was a large midge hatch right before dark on Fri and Sat. While this was going on you could not buy a fish subsurface. The fish were sipping the bugs off the surface and some were leaping for the airborne ones. Very frustrating. Another note, I did not catch one brown in two nights of night fishing. Ed said he caught a 20 in brown that day near the channel.

Sunday on the water by 9:30am and fished to 1:30. It was getting hot when I got up at 7am. Lot of damsels on the water but I could not catch them with the damsels nymphs I had. I caught one on a damsel hares ear combo under an indicator which I probably should have stuck with. Caught another on a zug bug. My poor green Willey tail was bit off, but boy did that fly work well for me that weekend as did the halbop leach. Thanks to the guys on this site that turned me on to them. I need to buy some more of them, great flies.

Side note: I'm starting to think of the circle as a separate lake from blue. Its been good to me and you can fish it when its windy.
    Time wise, out of 3.5 days of fishing I probably only fished two with 30 fish to hand, which is good for me.
    Blue lake is by far my favorite lake in that area.

12. Topstoy

Topstoy Member

Donato (Bob) nice report. You truely have a passion for the sport! Sounds like after the rain Saturday morning that Blue wasn't too bad? The wind was very heavy Saturday afternoon for us and blew us off the lake until the evening. Thanks goodness NASCAR was on to keep us busy. Hope to run into you again some day.

13. Donato

Donato Member

Topstoy,
    I may head up that way my next flex weekend June 29-July 1. I can only do 3 days this time.

14. Topstoy

Topstoy Member

Likely be fishing Aeneas that weekend with my son in law. We might head over to Blue or Fish Lake. Not sure of full plan yet.