Any Sage LL owners?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by obiwankanobi, Aug 26, 2010.

1. gt

gt Active Member

Media:
    if i could find a 490 LL to add to the 389 and 590, i'd pay the price. i actually bought one on ebay 6 years ago for a friend. it had never been used, wish i had that rod in my collection. there is just nothing like the nice progressive action of the LLs, not even my custom made bamboo comes close.

2. creekx

creekx spent spinner

Media:
    Yep, I love that progressive action. Sage's discontinuing of the LL line is largely responsible for why I became a Winston fanatic.

3. GABoy

GABoy Member

Recently I traded my SPL 181-3 Center Axis combo for a damn near mint LL 490-4 and 100 bucks! I've always heard great things about the LLs and was pretty excited to finally cast one... Like butter I tell ya!!!! I've always liked the older, slower Sage SPLs and was destroyed when Sage told me that they could not replace my broken 483-3 due to lack of blanks... Until I got my hands on the LL!!! Took it out West a few weeks ago and it performed perfectly on several cutts pushing 18 inches. It is definitely more of a dry fly rod, but I tossed some double nymph rigs and it wasn't too bad... But if I'm going to be tossing weight and indy rigs, I pick up the XP 690-4!!!

I don't think there is much left in the way of replacement LL blanks. I broke a SPL 4 weight and was told they didn't have any more SPL 4 weight blanks. I decided to ask about a replacement LL and they said that they only had an 8ft 4 weight blank in a 2 piece left. I considered it, but needed something I could pack for traveling... Hope I'm wrong about their stock though!!!

Yall be careful with those LLs!!!!!