ANY SUGGESTIONS ?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by YAKIMA, Sep 5, 2002.

1. GOT TALKED INTO GOING ON A TWO DAY FLOAT THE END OF OCTOBER ON EITHER THE BOGACHIEL, QUINALT, OR POSSIBLY SOME OF THE OTHER RIVERS IN THAT AREA. PRETTY MUCH WHATEVER RIVER IS DOING THE BEST AT THAT TIME. I HAVE NEVER BEEN OVER THERE AND HAVE NO IDEA OF WHAT FLIES, IF THEY WILL BE OF ANY USE, TO BRING. IT WILL BE AN EXPERIENCE, AS IF THE FLIES ARE USELESS, I HAVENT HAD ANYTHING IN MY HAND OTHER THAN A FLY ROD FOR OVER 20 YEARS.

I HAVE THE RODS AND EVERYTHING ELSE TO USE THERE, BUT I DONT WANT TO GO THERE WITH FLIES THAT WONT BE USEFUL. I'M MORE OF A YAKIMA, N.F. STILLY, AND B.C. INTERIOR LAKE FISHERMAN. ANYONE ABLE TO LEND ME SOME ADVISE, OR WHAT YOU USED IF YOU HAVE BEEN THERE ???

THANKS,
    GREG

2. I would contact Water West in Port Angeles. I can give you a phone number if you need it. They should have a good idea of flies to bring, you may be able to buy some flies on the way over if they are open.

3. I agree that Waters West will be a good resource. I'd imagine that an end-of-October trip out there will be for late sea-run cutts, chinook, and perhaps early coho and chum. the cutts, coho, and chum will all come to flies fairly regularly. Again, check with WW, the Port Townsend Angler, and the Northwest Angler in Paulsbo (see the "shops" directory on the homepage of this site)for tips on local paterns. The chinook will be trickier on flies, but not impossible. I don't know if there is a local fly tradition on the peninsula for chinook on flies in freshwater, but Russ Chatham's seminal "Angler's Coast" has some superb essays on flyfishing for chinook in California's Smith River. Even if they're not all that instructional for the conditions on the Solduc, Bogey, Hoh, Queets, or Quinault, they may inspire, and they'll certainly entertain.