Any thoughts / reviews on the Outcast OSG Commander?

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by JesseC, Sep 30, 2012.

1. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

Looking for a one person raft and have been trying to measure up the Watermaster Grizzly, Assault, and Outcast OSG.

I like smaller boats with the ability to carry enough gear for an ultralight weekend overnight. I like the boats to be smaller so I can fin and fish at the same time.

Has anyone used one of these boats? They look pretty nice.

-Jesse

2. Brian Miller

Brian Miller Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout

JesseCFowl likes this.
  3. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Discuss with Freestone too.

4. sroffe

sroffe Member

35 pounds? Hardly ultralight. Many use the water master and load them up multi day trips.

5. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

When I said ultralight I meant the gear I'll be carrying. Mumbles and I did an overnight raft trip a couple years ago and it was no big deal on the smaller WaterMaster grizzly.

I think my big concern with the OSG is whether its a good boat for finning backwards in. Second concern is whether it's a good boat to stand up in shallow water and fish from. The WaterMaster was really snaggy I imagine this would be the same.

I'm going to have to try one out.

6. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Jesse, I have used it on the Sky and a lake. Great boat. I own 3 of it's predecessors and love them except I always wished they had oars and now the Commander does. I have a Watermaster Kodiak too and there are different features I like about both of them.

7. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

Funny to say but I wish it was a foot longer. You could almost get another person on there.

8. Thomas Mitchell

Thomas Mitchell Active Member

Freestone, is there anything that jumps out that you don't like about the OSG Commander? I sold my 12' cataract this summer and have been looking at the smaller frameless boats for point-to-point transportation on calmer steelhead rivers like the Skagit/Sky/lower Bogichiel, etc.

Thanks in advance.

9. Thomas Williams

Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

Jesse, after recently weighing the options of getting an Scadden Renegade I decided to go with the Creek co Voyager. Its frameless and basically stolen from scadden I would assume. Half the price though. Puyallup sportsmans has them for $450 right now. I love mine and have taken on many lakes as well as Wynoochee and Nisqually river. I cant speak to the build quality of a scadden vs the cost but I am impressed with my voyager thus far and at a good price its worth taking a look. Very comfy to be in for extended periods.

JesseCFowl likes this.
  10. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Thomas, there was nothing major that I didn't like about it and I will probably get one at some point. All in all, it is a great boat by a company with great service so I would highly recommend it.

11. sroffe

sroffe Member

Oh, I see. I'd pack light too. But Ultralight? I think I'd leave the kitchen sink at home.