Any traveling sedge lakes in Washington?

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by BDD, May 27, 2008.

1. BDD Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +197 / 2
    Anyone know of any lakes that have a traveling sedge hatch in Washington similar to BC? I'm usually fishing streams when it should be going on and so I've never really stillwater fished during the time they should be hatching.

I haven't been to BC in several years and with the looks of gas prices, probably won't make it up again this year either. But boy do I miss that hatch.

Anyone?
  2. scottflycst Active Member

Ozark Mtn springwater
    Ratings: +24 / 0
    Best bet would be north central and northeast part of the state.
  3. LT Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    I've fished the traveling sedge hatch at Chopaka and had a great time. I'm assuming other lakes in that area experience the hatch as well but no personal experience on them.
  4. gigharborflyfisher Native Trout Hunter

Gig Harbor, Wa, USA.
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    I have only seen minor hatches of them on the west side, as everyone else said your best bet is probably on the north east side.
  5. Diehard aka Justin

Seattle, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    I have seen it at Chopaka also, pretty fun for the last hour or so of daylight.
  6. JE Active Member

Great NW
    Ratings: +50 / 0
    I have seen some big lake caddis in a few alpine lakes.
    -JE
  7. Taxon Moderator

Mercer Island, WA
    Ratings: +106 / 0
    BDD-

Just so others know what is being discussed, here is a photo of the lake-dwelling caddisfly, Banksiola crotchi.

[IMG]

It is commonly referred to as the Travelling Sedge, so named because of its tendency to taxi across the water rather that taking flight, thereby driving trout into a feeding frenzy.
  8. BDD Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +197 / 2
    Taxon,

The mere picture of that critter has my heart pounding.

Absoultely the most exciting fishing I have ever done.

Thanks for posting it.

If anyone wants to meet at a lake with a Banksiola crotchi hatch, I'd bring a dozen of my favorite dries.
  9. Kevin J. Burnham Active Member

Auburn,Wa.
    Ratings: +140 / 0
    There were small populations in Lavender lake in Kittitas Co. and in Sage lake in the seeps. I saw one hatch on Sage one summer evening that drew up all the big fish. It was pretty cool !!!
  10. ceviche Active Member

Shoreline, Washington, U.S.A.
    Ratings: +42 / 0
    Once again, You Are The Man, Taxon! I love it when fly anglers sling in the science. I only wish there were more doing the work that helps us all match the hatch.

Lately I've grown tired of scratching my head when it seems the trout aren't willing. Meanwhile, you know there's no way in the world they're fasting in the name of a political cause. Times like this, just looking at a woolly bugger makes me want to drive an ice pick into my eyes.

Come on, people! Let's help each other crack the code! I really think we have a brain trust here that could re-write the book.

--Dave E.
  11. _WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Skagit River
    Ratings: +643 / 0
    I did some research on these flie after being "clued in" by a local angler on a BC lake.
    On more than one occasion I ran across a reference to the sedges dying off after the introduction of gas powered motors to the lake. If you happen to find a lake with a Traveling Sedge population - leave the gas at home.

Local legend here in Skagit County is that Big Lake once had these flies. After outboard motors showed up the hatch became smaller every year until it was gone.
  12. Taxon Moderator

Mercer Island, WA
    Ratings: +106 / 0
    WW-

Use of a gasoline powered outboard motor on small lakes, and particularly those unable flush by virtue of having an inlet and outlet stream, should certainly be avoided, whether or not the lake in question has a Traveling Sedge hatch. However, I suspect there are other (even more significant) factors which have led to the decline of caddisfly presence on BC lakes, a primary candidate being agricultural (or homeowner) use of pesticides.
  13. _WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Skagit River
    Ratings: +643 / 0
    And that would be your first clue to finding them...:)